Temple stories - good, bad, funny?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Temple stories - good, bad, funny?

Post by Dr. Shades »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:51 pm
Unfortunately, the LDS Church has mishandled the temple in some important respects, and I am in agreement with the late Hugh Nibley in thinking that the endowment has been bowdlerized. Where I differ from Nibley is in the diagnosis of where the problem and responsibility for it reside. Nibley felt it was the apostasy of rank and file members that was to blame.
So Hugh, and presumably yourself, feel that the Oath of Vengeance against the United States should never have been bowdlerized, and it was only due to apostasy that it was so?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:24 pm
So Hugh, and presumably yourself, feel that the Oath of Vengeance against the United States should never have been bowdlerized, and it was only due to apostasy that it was so?
Dr. Nibley was referring to the changes that occurred in 1990.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:51 pm
I will go much further than Xenophon and state that the temple is one of the handful of (important to me) reasons why I continue to identify with Mormonism and as a Mormon despite my disaffiliation with the LDS Church.
I could certainly understand this and perhaps had I been born in the covenant or come to the church sooner I might feel the same way. Instead it is mostly just a fond memory that made my brief passing through Mormonism much more tolerable than it might otherwise have been.

I never got to experience the pre-1990 temple so I don't have much opinion there. That said, I do know plenty of folks that cringe when they find out an Anglican church is opting for Rite 2 over 1 so I think I at least understand the sentiment. For the temple specifically, I think leaning in to its esoteric nature makes much more sense to me than trying to "normalize" it. Personally I prefer the brand of Mormonism that embraces the idea that they are a peculiar people.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:04 pm
I could certainly understand this and perhaps had I been born in the covenant or come to the church sooner I might feel the same way. Instead it is mostly just a fond memory that made my brief passing through Mormonism much more tolerable than it might otherwise have been.

I never got to experience the pre-1990 temple so I don't have much opinion there. That said, I do know plenty of folks that cringe when they find out an Anglican church is opting for Rite 2 over 1 so I think I at least understand the sentiment. For the temple specifically, I think leaning in to its esoteric nature makes much more sense to me than trying to "normalize" it. Personally I prefer the brand of Mormonism that embraces the idea that they are a peculiar people.
Understood. I agree with you on the peculiar people sentiment. Leaning on its esoteric nature is exactly was interests me, if only it did more.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow