Does Mormon God travel in a space ship?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Does Mormon God travel in a space ship?

Post by drumdude »

Proxima Centauri is 4.5 light years away, meaning at the speed of light it takes 4.5 years to travel there. Kolob, the fictional star, is likely much farther away than that.

Since Mormon God is a god of flesh and bone with a body, who needs food, water, and oxygen to live, how does he travel between Kolob and Earth?

This is some real Scientology space opera stuff, no? Do Mormons just not think about this?
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Re: Does Mormon God travel in a space ship?

Post by Fence Sitter »

Religion in general seems to depend on a belief in the existence of a being or beings who are not subject to the laws of physics as we know them. It is just easier to see them in Mormonism than more mainstream sects who have had a lot longer to develop their theology.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:03 pm
Religion in general seems to depend on a belief in the existence of a being or beings who are not subject to the laws of physics as we know them. It is just easier to see them in Mormonism than more mainstream sects who have had a lot longer to develop their theology.
It’s easier for me to imagine the creator of the universe having carte blanche access to his creation. Just like someone who sets up an ant farm simulation on their computer has essentially unlimited power over that ant farm.

Mormon God just sitting around in a spaceship waiting for time to pass between planets is a lot stranger.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Any possible instantaneous state of the universe can actually be made to happen, at any desired time, by whomever sets the initial conditions of the universe. Just follow the deterministic laws of nature backwards to see what cause you'd need to produce that effect at the target time, and dial in that cause at the start. So the kind of God that actually made and controls reality could do all kinds of stuff even without breaking any natural laws.

Presumably that kind of true creator God could also just cheat whenever they wanted, and rejigger natural laws on the fly. God trumps physics, the way the sole owner of a privately held company gets to change company policy whenever they want. That's never been at all hard to see. It's in big letters on the front of the tin, when you look in the God aisle at the theism section.

It has always seemed like inconsistent thinking to me, though, for Mormons to proclaim that their God did not create the universe, but rather is himself subject to all of its laws, while nonetheless expecting their infinitely lesser deity to get full respect as a theistic God. As far as I can tell, Mormonism never even seems to mention any truly transcendent being, so although I wouldn't want to offend Mormons by putting it this way, I can't help thinking that it would be technically accurate to say that Mormonism is an atheistic religion that worships some superhuman aliens.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

What does God need with a starship?

--not me.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:23 pm
Proxima Centauri is 4.5 light years away, meaning at the speed of light it takes 4.5 years to travel there. Kolob, the fictional star, is likely much farther away than that.

Since Mormon God is a god of flesh and bone with a body, who needs food, water, and oxygen to live, how does he travel between Kolob and Earth?

This is some real Scientology space opera stuff, no? Do Mormons just not think about this?
He travels in a pillar of light. Think about the UAPs that are a cube within a sphere. God just needs one of those spheres around him. The pillar of light works the same as that sphere. How? Email Jeremy Corbell and find out. If he doesn't respond, email Travis Taylor, who isn't Mormon and holds several Phds in science, who said Joseph Smith was visited by an alien, and he also knows how anti-gravity works.

If God is a contingent being, then why is he what he is? The answer is apparently this is just base reality. If I were an apologist, I'd say that Gods in human form just happen to go all the way down. There is no reason for that human form any more than there is a reason for the random properties of our universe. In order to get progeny in his form he created the world with xyz properties and directed evolution to produce something exactly like him.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

What if God remains on the Kolobian Ring-World and communicates to the Quorums of the Twelve on each of the 15 inhabited planets via celestial carrier pigeons?

Facsimile #2 holds some of the technical information on propelling the pigeons via the medium of Kli-flos-is-es, or Hah-ko-kau-beam.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:41 pm
Any possible instantaneous state of the universe can actually be made to happen, at any desired time, by whomever sets the initial conditions of the universe. Just follow the deterministic laws of nature backwards to see what cause you'd need to produce that effect at the target time, and dial in that cause at the start. So the kind of God that actually made and controls reality could do all kinds of stuff even without breaking any natural laws.

Presumably that kind of true creator God could also just cheat whenever they wanted, and rejigger natural laws on the fly. God trumps physics, the way the sole owner of a privately held company gets to change company policy whenever they want. That's never been at all hard to see. It's in big letters on the front of the tin, when you look in the God aisle at the theism section.

It has always seemed like inconsistent thinking to me, though, for Mormons to proclaim that their God did not create the universe, but rather is himself subject to all of its laws, while nonetheless expecting their infinitely lesser deity to get full respect as a theistic God. As far as I can tell, Mormonism never even seems to mention any truly transcendent being, so although I wouldn't want to offend Mormons by putting it this way, I can't help thinking that it would be technically accurate to say that Mormonism is an atheistic religion that worships some superhuman aliens.
Physics Guy’s reasonable observation are good reference point.

I of course never heard of LDS God traveling in a space ship he is seen as having the sort of divine power Physics Guy mentions. It is clear that there is a divine sphere with power over the natural. Mormon scripture speak of reaching that power. The laws which must be obeyed are part of that sphere and supercede our physics.

Well of course there is little or no explaination of how all that works. That could be off putting or perhaps not trying to explain too much is a good strategy.
Tapir Rodeo
Sunbeam

Post by Tapir Rodeo »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:41 pm

My thoughts on this topic are quite similar to yours. Classical theism puts God outside of creation and makes him a complete master of it. He is an uncreated creator. Mormonism seems to make God a creature who is bound by natural laws. Now perhaps he can break these natural laws but I think questions about how this fellow creature does the things he does is fair. I've made the same Star Trek "why does god need a starship" joke that some others here are making. How does the LDS God, with his physical body that is exactly like ours, get around the cosmos?