Misogyny In The Film "Witnesses"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Misogyny In The Film Witnesses

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:41 pm
Interesting. I haven’t read his new book but I did find this:

https://youtu.be/1smM8sRMCRU
Yep. I recommend the book for all the details.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Re: Misogyny In The Film Witnesses

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:49 pm
One of many examples of the Directors not so subtle misogyny:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... -name.html
Yes.
Thank History that we’ve evolved beyond such sexism and ethnic bigotry. But their unashamedly condescending statements of a felt mission to help lesser people, even at considerable cost to oneself, may be relevant here.
Even though others have evolved past sexism and bigotry, Peterson still finds said sexism and bigotry to be relevant and helpful.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Re: Misogyny In The Film "Witnesses"

Post by I Have Questions »

Is Interpreter lead by a diverse gender demographic?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I Have Questions wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:26 pm
As long as the prevailing much larger number is white men, then yes. Throw in a token black man and perhaps, maybe, almost, (shudder!) a woman, and there ya have it. Mormon Mopes at their finest. Jeff Lindsay has been trying to chum it up with China, perhaps there is a Chinese cohort lurking in the shadows so they can really brag how international they are?
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:17 am
I Have Questions wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:26 pm
As long as the prevailing much larger number is white men, then yes. Throw in a token black man and perhaps, maybe, almost, (shudder!) a woman, and there ya have it. Mormon Mopes at their finest. Jeff Lindsay has been trying to chum it up with China, perhaps there is a Chinese cohort lurking in the shadows so they can really brag how international they are?
The Presidency of Interpreter is 100% white male. The Board of Trustees is 100% white, 80% male. As you look through the rest of the structure behind Interpreter, it’s almost 100% male, and is 100% white. Why would one expect films put out by this good ‘ol white boys club to reflect anything other than their institutional misogyny?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I Have Questions wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:19 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:17 am

The Presidency of Interpreter is 100% white male. The Board of Trustees is 100% white, 80% male. As you look through the rest of the structure behind Interpreter, it’s almost 100% male, and is 100% white. Why would one expect films put out by this good ‘ol white boys club to reflect anything other than their institutional misogyny?
It certainly explains why the tone deafness in Mormonism is so prevalent, at least to me anyway.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The mask (such that it is) slipped a bit:
“DCP” wrote: On quite a different note: We are currently in the throes of casting for the Interpreter Foundation’s next significant movie project, Six Days in August. And none too soon, either: We begin filming in just a few days. In that light, I was especially amused to read some recent complaints about alleged misogyny in Interpreter’s previous theatrical film, Witnesses. It seems that, in a film that was focused on the interwoven stories Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer, too few of the principal lead actors were women.

The complaint makes me wonder: Perhaps we should seize this opportunity, while we’re still casting, to be on the radical edge and to make a transgressive statement. What do you think? Should we cast Brigham Young as a genderfluid Black Latinx who was assigned female at birth? It would be nice, for once, to be celebrated by progressives.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:20 pm
“DCP” wrote: On quite a different note: We are currently in the throes of casting for the Interpreter Foundation’s next significant movie project, Six Days in August. And none too soon, either: We begin filming in just a few days. In that light, I was especially amused to read some recent complaints about alleged misogyny in Interpreter’s previous theatrical film, Witnesses. It seems that, in a film that was focused on the interwoven stories Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer, too few of the principal lead actors were women.

The complaint makes me wonder: Perhaps we should seize this opportunity, while we’re still casting, to be on the radical edge and to make a transgressive statement. What do you think? Should we cast Brigham Young as a genderfluid Black Latinx who was assigned female at birth? It would be nice, for once, to be celebrated by progressives.
Celebrated by progressives? A Mormon subject?! How out of date can one get? :D
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:20 pm

Did anyone here complain that too few of the principal lead actors were women?

The proprietor has silently edited his post:
It seems that, in a film that was focused on the interwoven stories of Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery, Martin Harris, and David Whitmer, too few of the principal lead actors were women and too little of the film revolved around women.
LOL. Keep trying.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s not like Joseph Smith had any important women around him that could have been featured. Emma Smith, Sally Chase, Lucy Smith, 27-41 wives…

They had quite a witness of the prophet and his mighty priesthood.