Nuance Hoe claims missionaries now using bait-and-switch "we're Christian" tactics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Nuance Hoe claims missionaries now using bait-and-switch "we're Christian" tactics

Post by drumdude »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nzQ60C7njY

Related to the recent change of Mormons using the cross:

1) Some missionaries are in pilot programs where they don't wear suits and nametags
2) Where they don't use "elder" and just introduce themselves by their first name
3) They invite people to "Bible study"
4) Signs outside chapels advertising "worship service" times
5) Church events integrating evangelical rock music

If true:

Does this sound like a church interested in holding fast to its identity, or a church run by advertising executives who are panicking about declining revenue and trying every rebrand they can think of to stem the losses?
Gadianton
God

Re: Nuance Hoe claims missionaries now using bait-and-switch "we're Christian" tactics

Post by Gadianton »

it's all believable except point 5; really hard to believe that.
drumdude
God

Re: Nuance Hoe claims missionaries now using bait-and-switch "we're Christian" tactics

Post by drumdude »

Looks like this is the event she referred to for 5)

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... gle-adults
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I doubt it. That photo was created by A.I..
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

"We will, we will rock baptize you!" the young LDS concertgoers sang.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:42 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nzQ60C7njY

1) Some missionaries are in pilot programs where they don't wear suits and nametags
2) Where they don't use "elder" and just introduce themselves by their first name
3) They invite people to "Bible study"
4) Signs outside chapels advertising "worship service" times
5) Church events integrating evangelical rock music

If true:

Does this sound like a church interested in holding fast to its identity, or a church run by advertising executives who are panicking about declining revenue and trying every rebrand they can think of to stem the losses?
Dude! These are the ideas we said they’d have to do in order to stay relevant!

SCMC! Do we get a commission or what?
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:36 pm
"We will, we will rock baptize you!" the young LDS concertgoers sang.
They pump in the smell of LDS meetinghouses into the stadium just to make sure those kids don't feel tooo far from home.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

The Mormon church collapse? This is an event in Nuance's mind.

Ok a couple of decades ago the church was growing fast enough that there were public estimates of grandiose future dimension. The growth has slowed and grandiose projections collapsed.

I guess I do not find the changes and adjustments mentioned to be a big deal. As far as I can see the Mormon church has always understood itself as a Christian church, the Christian church. NonMormons seeing it that way, not so much.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Nuance Ho thinks it is a last-ditch effort, but I think it is simply an experiment to see if the Church can keep the majority of the young people from leaving, I mean, they are still on the books till age 110. Maybe they will catch fire with Christian rock. In the meantime, the 30% who do stay can hold down the fort.

Other possible ideas: Have upcoming Conference speakers study the delivery style of the Backyard Professor.
Have the LDS Apologists hold a worldwide stake center broadcast. Call it Mean Girls Live.
Give a free cross with neck chain to all 2024 Seminary graduates.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:42 pm
What is this “recent change of Mormons using the cross” of which you speak?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024