Free Books

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Free Books

Post by Markk »

I am doing some fall cleaning and went through my 30 plus years of collecting LDS books, mostly from the DI. I have four box's a hundred plus books, older commentaries that are hard to find, History of the church, BY discourses, JFS, BRM, Clark, and the gang.

I don't want to take them to the DI in that I heard they destroy some of the older stuff, and who knows where they would go if I gave them to another Thrift store.

I would like to give them to someone that will used them.

If anyone here lives in So Cal, and would like to have them, I can figure out how to get them to you. I can most likely deliver or meet you some where...I travel a lot with work, especially OC, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties.

Let me know,

Thanks
drumdude
God

Re: Free Books

Post by drumdude »

Markk wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:50 pm
don't want to take them to the DI in that I heard they destroy some of the older stuff
I have heard this as well, can anyone confirm it's true they destroyed books to hide unflattering information?
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Markk wrote:
I am doing some fall cleaning and went through my 30 plus years of collecting LDS books, mostly from the DI. I have four box's a hundred plus books, older commentaries that are hard to find, History of the church, BY discourses, JFS, BRM, Clark, and the gang.

I don't want to take them to the DI in that I heard they destroy some of the older stuff, and who knows where they would go if I gave them to another Thrift store.

If anyone here lives in So Cal, and would like to have them, I can figure out how to get them to you. I can most likely deliver or meet you some where...I travel a lot with work, especially OC, Riverside, and San Bernardino Counties.

Let me know,

Thanks
Any chance of getting them to Arizona? :?:
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The Backyard Professor (Philo Soffee) is an avid reader.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

tagriffy wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:30 am
Markk wrote:

Let me know,

Thanks
Any chance of getting them to Arizona? :?:
I would meet you in the Palm Desert area, that would be the best I could do.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

I recently bought Spencer Kimball’s Miracle of Forgiveness. The postage was more than the book. The whole beginning was about become God. After two chapters I needed an anti anxiety pill. Talk about silent holy anger.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:04 pm
Markk wrote:
don't want to take them to the DI in that I heard they destroy some of the older stuff
I have heard this as well, can anyone confirm it's true they destroyed books to hide unflattering information?
It's unfortunately common practice at all thrift stores. Books sell at a miniscule fraction of the rate that they are received as donations. The very small percentage of people likely to buy a Mormon-themed book at a thrift store are more likely to impulse-buy something by a living author.

Best bet is to donate to a library (if they accept donations), as it has a better chance of ending up on a shelf and seeing a continued life, assuming they don't already have a copy (or two, depending on demand).
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Markk wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:45 am

I would meet you in the Palm Desert area, that would be the best I could do.
My main transportation is by bicyle, so that's definitely not happening. :o :?

Perhaps we can come to an accomodation on shipping?
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind