Mike Lee Claims God Is Flooding The Burning Man Festival

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: Mike Lee Claims God Is Flooding The Burning Man Festival

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:01 pm
So does somebody, anybody know what this Davidic Servant is supposed to be. High Spy is secretive about it. Is it some part of some subgroup in Mormonism? (or off the edge of Mormonism). Are there devotes of some semi obscure prophesy, less well known than whitehorse or polygamy will never die? Maybe I just missed that seminary lesson.
It comes up a lot over at the other Mormon Dialogue forum.

It’s a real deep doctrine.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:27 pm

I think Mormon insiders would refer to the Davidic Servant as a Mystery Meat instead of a Milk Doctrine. Milk doctrines include normal Christianity and Mystery Meats include the peculiarity of Deep Mormonism.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
huckelberry wrote:
So does somebody, anybody know what this Davidic Servant is supposed to be.High Spy is secretive about it. Is it some part of some subgroup in Mormonism? (or off the edge of Mormonism). Are there devotes of some semi obscure prophesy , less well known than whitehorse or polygamy will never die? Maybe I just missed that seminary lesson.

Drumdude, my patience or perhaps interest in that other form ended some years ago.

So deep you can't help me out? You promise, cut your throat, not to reveal this deepity?

Just what does deep suppose to mean here? stuff that looks dumb if brought to the surface?
//
sorry to sound grumpy, I am just curious and hope not to have to waste time searching that other board.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:16 pm
drumdude wrote:

Drumdude, my patience or perhaps interest in that other form ended some years ago.

So deep you can't help me out? You promise, cut your throat, not to reveal this deepity?

Just what does deep suppose to mean here? stuff that looks dumb if brought to the surface?
//
sorry to sound grumpy, I am just curious and hope not to have to waste time searching that other board.
I looked it up there and felt it was a huge waste of time. Lots of speculation and not much information. I don’t remember anything about it, or I would post what I remember.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:05 pm
I don’t remember anything about it, or I would post what I remember.
Did they have a picture of Steve Smoot dressed as My Little Pony and covered in what appears to be liniment?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:05 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:16 pm

//
I looked it up there and felt it was a huge waste of time. Lots of speculation and not much information. I don’t remember anything about it, or I would post what I remember.
drumdude, thanks for noting what you were able to.

I guess I can shrug my shoulder and say, must be too deep for me.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
huckelberry wrote:
So does somebody, anybody know what this Davidic Servant is supposed to be. High Spy is secretive about it. Is it some part of some subgroup in Mormonism? (or off the edge of Mormonism). Are there devotes of some semi obscure prophesy, less well known than whitehorse or polygamy will never die? Maybe I just missed that seminary lesson.

Oh, then man-made.....
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

huck wrote: anybody know what this Davidic Servant is supposed to be
Isaiah talks about "My servant David" who saves Israel in the last days -- somehow. Probably the same verses that people at the time of Jesus believed referred to their own salvation.

Who is David? In Mormonism there has been speculation about this role. The controversy apparently goes back a long time, although I never got into the history of the controversy. Some people think that David will be a lone wolf guy out there who with the lost tribes, who will show up doing all kinds of crazy miracles in the last days, in parallel to whatever the Church is doing. It's going to be a crowded field during the last days because you've got the Davidic Servant, and then the two prophets who lie dead in the street for 3 days, and the three Nephites, all of which per Mormon speculation are mysterious figures outside of the formal church.

As you can imagine, church leaders aren't hot on ideas like this. Bruce R. McConkie specifically damned the idea of a Davidic Servant, said it's heresy, and that the verses about "David" all refer to Christ. Well, prophecy buffs get sick of everything being about Jesus and like to see things mixed up a little; mysterious characters coming out of the woodwork -- you know, what would make a better movie. My father was one of those who believed in a outside Davidic Servant, and he was quite bothered by McConkie's dogmatism on this point.

If you recall the September Six, one of those was Avraham Gileadi, who wrote a "new translation" of Isaiah. He was a proponent of a mysterious outside David who would show up with major shock value. He brought renewed interest into the idea. That's where I stepped in, because I bought his books as a teenager. My understanding is that he had a son named "David" who he believed might be the guy. That's problematic because I have a cousin named David, and my Aunt thought he was the guy. So a lot of Mormons thought their spoiled brats were going to grow up to be this total bad-ass independent miracle worker performing all the shock and awe in the last days while the actual Mormon prophets sit around cooking the books on their stupid hedge fund.

Apparently there is once again renewed interest in this person within fringe Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:25 am
huck wrote: anybody know what this Davidic Servant is supposed to be
Isaiah talks about "My servant David" who saves Israel in the last days -- somehow. Probably the same verses that people at the time of Jesus believed referred to their own salvation.

Who is David? In Mormonism there has been speculation about this role. The controversy apparently goes back a long time, although I never got into the history of the controversy. Some people think that David will be a lone wolf guy out there who with the lost tribes, who will show up doing all kinds of crazy miracles in the last days, in parallel to whatever the Church is doing. It's going to be a crowded field during the last days because you've got the Davidic Servant, and then the two prophets who lie dead in the street for 3 days, and the three Nephites, all of which per Mormon speculation are mysterious figures outside of the formal church.

As you can imagine, church leaders aren't hot on ideas like this. Bruce R. McConkie specifically damned the idea of a Davidic Servant, said it's heresy, and that the verses about "David" all refer to Christ. Well, prophecy buffs get sick of everything being about Jesus and like to see things mixed up a little; mysterious characters coming out of the woodwork -- you know, what would make a better movie. My father was one of those who believed in a outside Davidic Servant, and he was quite bothered by McConkie's dogmatism on this point.

If you recall the September Six, one of those was Avraham Gileadi, who wrote a "new translation" of Isaiah. He was a proponent of a mysterious outside David who would show up with major shock value. He brought renewed interest into the idea. That's where I stepped in, because I bought his books as a teenager. My understanding is that he had a son named "David" who he believed might be the guy. That's problematic because I have a cousin named David, and my Aunt thought he was the guy. So a lot of Mormons thought their spoiled brats were going to grow up to be this total bad-ass independent miracle worker performing all the shock and awe in the last days while the actual Mormon prophets sit around cooking the books on their stupid hedge fund.

Apparently there is once again renewed interest in this person within fringe Mormonism.
Gadianton, good explanation, thanks. I remember the dead prophets in the street and the three Nephites but I missed speculation about this Davidic servant. It sounds like an enthusiasm which comes and goes.

I think your little comment about prophets concerned first with their hedge funds explains a lot of how hopes for special figures might grow.

I am one of those types of person who thinks that Isaiah has nothing all to say about the last days, instead talks about the age in which he lived and his "servant David" refers to the man who was king before Solomon. But that is a bit dull, why not imagine superheros.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

huckelberry wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:31 am
Gadianton wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:25 am

Gadianton, good explanation, thanks. I remember the dead prophets in the street and the three Nephites but I missed speculation about this Davidic servant. It sounds like an enthusiasm which comes and goes.

I think your little comment about prophets concerned first with their hedge funds explains a lot of how hopes for special figures might grow.

I am one of those types of person who thinks that Isaiah has nothing all to say about the last days, instead talks about the age in which he lived and his "servant David" refers to the man who was king before Solomon. But that is a bit dull, why not imagine superheros.
Heh, I imagine that is why Tolkien is so much more interesting than scripture...