The Rosebud MEGATHREAD

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: To RFM; Re: Jenn Kamp

Post by drumdude »

jpatterson wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:02 pm
Yo, yo what's good? :D
:lol:
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:06 pm

Ref transparency that’s the crux isn’t it? We ask it of Rosebud and Kamp, so I think, ethically, we should ask the same of Open Stories Foundation and those who shill for them. If RFM is paid by Open Stories Foundation, yes, I’d like to know. Why? Because we’re following the details of their interactions, and, in particular, we have our own RFM getting himself neck deep involved in this stuff. It’s interesting.

Ref conspiracy theories, I’m not sure what you mean. I’m not so dialed in I’m following every single thread surrounding their drama.

- Doc
I am happy to state for the record that I have not been paid by John Dehlin or anyone associated with Open Stories Foundation or Mormon Stories for any of the reporting I have done related to Jenn Kamp and/or Rosebud.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

consiglieri wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:10 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:06 pm

Ref transparency that’s the crux isn’t it? We ask it of Rosebud and Kamp, so I think, ethically, we should ask the same of Open Stories Foundation and those who shill for them. If RFM is paid by Open Stories Foundation, yes, I’d like to know. Why? Because we’re following the details of their interactions, and, in particular, we have our own RFM getting himself neck deep involved in this stuff. It’s interesting.

Ref conspiracy theories, I’m not sure what you mean. I’m not so dialed in I’m following every single thread surrounding their drama.

- Doc
I am happy to state for the record that I have not been paid by John Dehlin or anyone associated with Open Stories Foundation or Mormon Stories for any of the reporting I have done related to Jenn Kamp and/or Rosebud.
Well, since I have your attention:

https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... 8#p2844548
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:08 am
consiglieri wrote:

Huh. That first part was quite the nonanswer to your actual question. Maybe you'll get a little more next time.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Why is the general tenor of this board becoming mean and undesirable?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:19 am
Sweetie, vigorous disagreement is not mean and undesirable. It's how people learn. If you need a baseline for comparison, check out the harassing posts from atlantic mike, cultellus and binger currently residing in outer darkness. I would agree kushy is walking a fine line lately, but maybe he's just going through something.
(for about a decade now. :roll: )
consig is just not as funny as he thinks he is, but beyond that the discussions are pretty wholesome.
Last edited by Marcus on Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:19 am
Everyone is getting old and in a weird reverse Gemli paradigm they seem to enjoy the last few stabs at the beast.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:05 pm
Once you can earn a full time income from your notoriety I wouldn’t call that the smallest.

I’m pleased RFM has reached that level but it does come with increased scrutiny.

We were probably way too hard on Boylan and Mike Parker, who are really really small potatoes.

On more than one occasion DCP has likened being in the space to being in “the game.” Like there are two sides playing a zero sum game against each other. I don’t think that’s healthy but people do tend to gravitate towards that thinking.
I watch YouTubers most people have no knowledge of who make a full living off of their channels.

I have found RFM to be a stand-up kind of fellow. I think this concern about his involvement in John Dehlin’s conflicts with Rosebud and Kamp is kind of weird, especially given the fact that Rosebud and Kamp have proven themselves to be viciously vindictive liars.

I understand *some* of the attention Boylan and Parker got. Boylan brings it on himself with some of the hateful attitudes he exhibits toward Protestants, etc. Parker invented a Black LDS apologist. Boylan participated in the ruse. It was, simply put, tasteless.

A lot of people refer to their pursuit as “being in the game.” Academics refer to being in academia as “being in the game.” It just means that you are fully involved in the pursuit, warts and all. There is always some arbitrary nonsense and negative competitiveness in arenas where people compete for status and attention. That’s “being in the game.” It is pretty pervasive and not just about being in apologetics.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
consiglieri wrote:

I love how there is no “thanks for answering my question,” only more questions. Yes, questions can be asked—it’s still, for the time being, a relatively free country—but I hope everyone understands that those who ask questions don’t necessarily have a right to every answer they seek, and the refusal to answer every question is not evidence of any kind of guilt.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:35 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

I love how there is no “thanks for answering my question,” only more questions. Yes, questions can be asked—it’s still, for the time being, a relatively free country—but I hope everyone understands that those who ask questions don’t necessarily have a right to every answer they seek, and the refusal to answer every question is not evidence of any kind of guilt.
Well, he didn’t answer the actual questions I’ve been asking, and instead offered up a weasel worded statement. Of course no one is entitled to an answer of any sort, but, let me put this idea to the test of your discriminating opinion- Are people entitled to trust?

I like Consig. I warmed up to John Dehlin, especially with the way he’s been treated by Rosebud and JK. However, I see now that Rosebud was, in fact, placed under an unwinnable quid pro quo, and had Open Stories Foundation been a bigger organization John Dehlin and Open Stories Foundation would’ve most likely lost in a lawsuit; by the grace of Ganesh he got out of this thing on a technicality.

What I find off putting about Consig’s behavior is that he’s acting like he’s not being transparent in the same manner as the LDS church not being forthcoming. And now, this is starting to feel like a cover up of sorts. I’m losing respect for Consig; instead of just being honest and communicative, he clammed up- and that, right there, tells me he’s doing something he doesn’t want people to know. It’s weird. It’s Q15-like. Don’t like it. *shrugs*

edit - grammarz

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.