Mitt Romney not running for Senate in 2024

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Bond
CTR A

Mitt Romney not running for Senate in 2024

Post by Bond »

Perhaps Off Topic but Utah Senator Mitt Romney announced today he's not running in 2024. I suspect he won't be the last of the GOP moderates to leave during the 2024-28 Senate cycle. If you want a great read the Atlantic has a piece out (preview to a full biography) about Romney's time in the Senate from election to 1/6 and retirement. If you're a political wonk certainly a good read for some behind the scenes gossip about Senators along with Mitt's Senate life and frustrations at his colleague's cowardice regarding Trump. Mitt doesn't pull any punches in his remarks. I disagreed with him but respected him unlike most of the Trumpist Republicans who will come after him in the next ten years.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ign=social
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Mitt Romney not running for Senate in 2024

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

That was a really engaging, well-written article. It makes me like Mitt more as a man of conviction and honor. His fears about his colleagues are well-founded as evidenced by recent history.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

My source from a female Baby-boomer in Utah - female Baby-boomers would not vote for him if he ran for reelection.

He has so much money and numerous children and grandchildren his time would be better spent in other places.
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Yeah if Donald wins, he will continue misguiding everyone about loyalty to HIM not the country, and he will punish anyone who has spoken or worked against him these last four years. It just will not be good for our country if he wins. It will be more divisive and stupidly managed than ever before, and before was a national embarrassment.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

Sad to see Romney retire under such circumstances but I don’t blame him.

It’s even more sad to see the evolution of my Mormon relatives’ view of him, from positive to negative, and for the worst and most nonsensical reasons.

I think the church itself is realizing too late (if it all) the degree of competition they now face from (other) conservative, sociopolitical actors.

Stranger still is the fact that I myself cannot hear the dirge being played rn from my finger-fiddle. A shame.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Bond wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:16 pm
I suspect he won't be the last of the GOP moderates to leave during the 2024-28 Senate cycle. If you want a great read the Atlantic has a piece out (preview to a full biography) about Romney's time in the Senate from election to 1/6 and retirement.
1/6th of what?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:44 am
Bond wrote:
I suspect he won't be the last of the GOP moderates to leave during the 2024-28 Senate cycle. If you want a great read the Atlantic has a piece out (preview to a full biography) about Romney's time in the Senate from election to 1/6 and retirement.
1/6th of what?
January 6. 🐸
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:44 am
Bond wrote:
1/6th of what?
The attack on the capitol on January 6,2021.
slskipper
Sunbeam

Post by slskipper »

I shudder to think what type of person will replace him.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:44 pm
That was a really engaging, well-written article. It makes me like Mitt more as a man of conviction and honor. His fears about his colleagues are well-founded as evidenced by recent history.

- Doc
I was very impressed with the candidness of thought coming from Mitt:
“A very large portion of my party,” he told me one day, “really doesn’t believe in the Constitution.” Was the authoritarian element of the GOP a product of President Trump, or had it always been there, just waiting to be activated by a sufficiently shameless demagogue?
I shudder to think what type of person will replace him.
Utah will offer up a hardline conservative Trump supporter. Someone without an ounce of Philosopher King.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace