The Church has commissioned a spin piece biography of Joseph Smith

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I Have Questions
Bishop

The Church has commissioned a spin piece biography of Joseph Smith

Post by I Have Questions »

With completion of the Joseph Smith Papers project on June 27, the Church is now ready to effectively tell the story of the Prophet of the Restoration, said President Oaks.

“We announce today that the First Presidency has commissioned a new biography of the Church’s founding Prophet, to be titled ‘Joseph the Prophet,’” President Oaks said to hundreds of attendees in the Conference Center Theater in Salt Lake City.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/history/2 ... conference

Really?
The new biography will be written by Richard E. Turley Jr., former assistant Church historian and recorder, with help from teams of historians and other professionals at Church headquarters, Brigham Young University and elsewhere.

“The Joseph Smith Papers project has laid a firm foundation on which we can now build a biography of the Prophet Joseph Smith unlike any that has previously been written,” Turley said. “This book will focus on Joseph Smith’s role as a Prophet, which will distinguish it from other recent biographies that focus on other aspects of his life.”
So not really. It's a whitewashed history of Joseph Smith that removes all the things the Church isn't comfortable about people knowing. They're essentially trying to mitigate the exposes of the Joseph Smith Papers in this new piece of 'Joseph Smith' propaganda.

As a slight aside. You'd imagine that the multi billion dollar hedge fund masquerading as a church could fund such an enterprise as The Joseph Smith Papers project. Well think again...
President Oaks said three things were needed to fulfill the ambitious project:

“The first was Joseph Smith’s papers, which were scattered in institutional and private collections but principally located in the Church Historical Department.”
“The second was scholars with subject-matter expertise on Joseph Smith and the time period in which he lived.”
“The third, and perhaps most intractable matter, was substantial funding.”
Bringing in a team of scholars and other staff, as well as providing salaries, benefits and budgets for travel, equipment and other costs, amounted to millions of dollars. Yes, the Church had substantial resources, but those resources were being focused in the 1990s and early 2000s on doubling the number of operating temples and taking the gospel worldwide, President Oaks said.
Not to mention the City Creek Mall. Which Oaks decided not to mention.
Enter the Larry H. and Gail Miller family, Utah business owners and philanthropists.

It was a generous couple willing to heed spiritual promptings that provided the key to catapulting the project forward on a grand scale,” President Oaks said.

With the Millers’ financial support, Joseph Smith Papers launched in 2001. In the following years, the Church hired more professional historians than ever before and devoted resources to build the state-of-art Church History Library.
Despite having eye watering sums of tithing sat there doing nothing but gaining compound interest, the Church conned the Millers into paying for it. Oaks has no shame. I wonder how the Millers felt when they heard the news that...
The SEC’s order finds that, from 1997 through 2019, Ensign Peak failed to file Forms 13F, the forms on which investment managers are required to disclose the value of certain securities they manage. According to the order, the Church was concerned that disclosure of its portfolio, which by 2018 grew to approximately $32 billion, would lead to negative consequences.
https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2023-35
High Spy
First Presidency

spin type peace

Post by High Spy »

Spinners, for invalid valid reasons. :mrgreen:
Moksha
God

Re: The Church has commissioned a spin piece biography of Joseph Smith

Post by Moksha »

Might they be using an LDS psychic to channel the prophet Moroni in writing this book?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:45 pm
Might they be using an LDS psychic to channel the prophet Moroni in writing this book?
I doubt it. Nephi seems to be more of a reconnaissance type guy. And he only had limited contact with Joseph. One of which all his brothers were sound asleep unawakened by his reanimated glowing levitating native American body.
High Spy
First Presidency

Post by High Spy »

Moksha wrote:
Better a LSD psychic for some flavorful 😎 aid.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

With Turley involved, I don't think it will be a complete whitewashing of anything potentially unflattering or uncomfortable.
High Spy
First Presidency

spin type piece

Post by High Spy »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:53 pm
With Turley involved, I don't think it will be a complete whitewashing of anything potentially unflattering or uncomfortable.
The names familiar as in TSGT Turley or Turdly, as his morning movements were so consistent that you can set your watch by the smoke plume emanating from mountain top locations.
BeNotDeceived
Elder

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Holy crud...

Glass-looking
Scrying
Necromancing
Disorderly person
Scam-artist
Charlatan
40+ criminal indictments
Bank fraud
Serial adultery
Polygamy
32 wives
Immorality
Attempted murder
Narcissism
Delusions of Grandeur
Rock in a hat
No gold plates
Oral fictitous storytelling
Kinderhook plates
Book of Abraham a fraud
Outlaw
Vigilante
Nauvoo Legion
Presidential candidate
King of the World
Book of Mormon copyright attempt
Disparaging/destroying others' reputations
Multiple false prophecies
Multiple versions of the 'first vision'

And the men atop this so-called 'church' wanna continue to call Smith a 'prophet'?????? There aren't words for something like that. :lol: :oops: :x I guess when you're profiting and benefitting handsomely by a multi-hundred billion dollar real estate corporation masquerading as a 'church' unbeknownst to most of the members of the religion, you gotta convince those members that the whole thing is legit. :lol: :x
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:57 pm
Moksha wrote:
I doubt it. Nephi seems to be more of a reconnaissance type guy. And he only had limited contact with Joseph. One of which all his brothers were sound asleep unawakened by his reanimated glowing levitating native American body.
Yeah, just because Tim Ballard employed an LDS psychic to channel tactical information from Moroni, does not mean this new Oaks Whitewash Commission will do so. I only suggested it because it was based on breaking news information that day. Newsy humor.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
I Have Questions
Bishop

Post by I Have Questions »

Following the exposés of the Joseph Smith Papers, the Brethren obviously feel a need to try and salvage Joseph Smiths reputation as a Prophet. Why not commission a book about Nelson’s revelations and prophecies? It’s far more relevant.