If plates then God

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: If plates then God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:27 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:23 pm
I think that the pattern of MG 2.0's oscillation between focus on selected details and focus on the "big picture" is propelled by his attempt to construct an argument from ignorance that gives a superficial appearance of valid reasoning.
Although childishly simply, my take has always been to turn back to the Mopologist and say, "I await your evidence." Big picture, details. Whatever. Where is the evidence that would persuade others that their claim is true? If it is a historical claim, then I await the person making the claim to bring to me the same historical evidence I would look for in any other case.
Sometimes simple is best. As a historian, asking for the same kind of evidence that you would ask in response to any other historical claim is a pretty powerful response. The alternative it leaves for the Mopologist are (1) produce the evidence; or (2) special pleading. Or the ever popular sneering ad hom, I guess.

I don't have that technique in my toolbox. I have to take the standards of evidence I'm familiar with and tweak them in "hopefully" a sensible way given the circumstances. It helps me to understand the form of argument, so that's why you'll see me doing it more.

All that reminds me why I like to hang out here. Different people bring different things to the table. Take the infamous Best Guesser paper. I could deconstruct the logic of the argument, but I could never spot the flaws in the statistics the way Marcus did. And it doesn't have to be anything as fancy as a degree in history, statistics, law or anything else. The variety of experiences and perspectives that folks bring to the table is pretty remarkable.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:38 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:42 am
... the Book of Mormon was a one shot deal. One trick pony. A flash in the pan. We have Joseph the farmboy producing a work that has gone on to becoming a recognized book of scripture that has impacted and changed the lives of millions of people and brought them to Christ.

It’s literally one of a kind. Unless you’re going to say The Course In Miracles falls in the same category. Or Dianetics. If so, we may be at an impasse.
I don't understand what point you're making with these phrases, "one trick pony" and "flash in the pan".

For one thing I think you may be misusing "flash in the pan".
Something that happened only once or for a short time and was not repeated.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... in-the-pan
Joseph never produced anything like unto the Book of Mormon before or after its production.
Physics Guy wrote:
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:42 am
Read the section with the heading: Composition Methodology
Again, if that book about the composition of the Book of Mormon made even one compelling point, why not repeat that point here yourself?
The author says it better than me (emphasis on bolding):

Multiple witnesses declared that Joseph Smith spoke the words of the Book of Mormon rather than personally writing them.38 This observation separates him from more than 99% of all authors who ever published a book.
Historically, the composition technique taught in schools worldwide is called creative writing and comprises three general steps.
Pre-writing: choosing a subject, creating an outline, and performing the required research.
Writing: making the initial draft and combining sections.
Re-writing: revising, content-editing, and all subsequent drafts.39
When dictating a book to a scribe (or stenographer), as Joseph Smith did, step one is restricted to memory, and step three is eliminated. There is no evidence Joseph engaged in step one in any discernable way, [Page 158]although mental preparations would not be detectable. The manuscript went straight to press without step three enhancements.
Dictating a book without pre-writing or re-writing might be called creative dictation. The advent of smart phones and voice-to-text apps has facilitated cell phone users today to produce long manuscripts using creative dictation and thereby attempt to replicate Joseph Smith’s efforts. The need for a scribe is removed by dictating text messages of 20 to 30 words each (the apparent word blocks Joseph spoke to his scribes40) into the app. These are received in order and copied into an expanding document. Before hitting send, grammar and spelling can be corrected, but once sent, the sequence of the sentences cannot be changed.41 The author does not consult manuscripts or books while dictating.42 Repeat this process 10,000 times until a document of roughly 270,000 words is formed that can be sent to a publisher for typesetting and printing.
Creative dictation is more difficult than creative writing because, as Louis Brandeis, who served as an associate justice on the Supreme Court of the United States from 1916 to 1939 explained: “There is no good writing; there is only good rewriting.”43 Popular novelist and essayist Robert Louis Stevenson concurred: “When I say writing, O, believe me, it is rewriting that I have chiefly in mind.”44 This inherent limitation of creative dictation is probably why none of the authors in the comparisons charted below elected to recite their books from memory and then send them directly to the printer. Even genius-level intellects today pre-write, write, and rewrite their books prior to completion.45

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... of-Mormon/
Physics Guy wrote:
Sure, there's no positive evidence that Smith rehearsed or used notes. There wouldn't be, would there? How much evidence trail are private rehearsals or secret notes going to leave, when no more than a little bit of rehearsal was needed? Heck, you can rehearse a recitation mentally while lying awake in bed without moving or speaking. It would have been easy enough to produce the Book of Mormon with a lot more support than the official story admits—so easy that I don't see how any accounts of the production details can be considered evidence that Smith couldn't have written the Book.
I don’t think I’ve linked to it yet but this essay written by one your favorite people goes into length on Joseph Smith as storyteller and what hurdles would have to be jumped in order to compose the Book of Mormon.

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... oryteller/

Literary characteristics of the 1830 Book of Mormon-
Characteristic Quality/Quantity
Word count 269,320
Number of sentences 6,852
Average sentence length 39.3
Reading level 8th grade
Dialect Early English
Punctuation none
Unique words 5,903
College-level vocabulary words (not in Bible) dozens
Original proper nouns 170
Parallel phraseology— chiasms 367
Parallel phraseology — alternates 400
Poetic literary forms (other) 911
Stylometric consistencies at least 4 unique authors
Bible intertextuality hundreds of phrases and integrations
Named characters 208
Socio-geographic groups 45
Geographical locations (Promised Land) over 150
Geographical references (Promised Land) over 400
Ecological references 2,065
Monetary system weights 12 distinct values
Chronological references over 100
Storylines 77 major; additional minor
Flashbacks and embedded storylines 5
Sermons 68 major; additional minor
Sermon topics dozens
Sermon commentary often intricate and multifaceted
Formal headings to chapters and books 21
Editorial promises 121
Internal historical sources quoted at least 24
Subjects discussed with precision at least 3 (e.g. biblical law, olive tree, husbandry, and warfare tactics)
From what I’ve read on this topic over the years my opinion is simply that you’re giving Joseph Smith too much credit for doing something that would have been beyond his reach. You’ve asked me to go through Grant Hardy’s book and spoon feed selections and ‘proofs’ that had meaning to me and yet you’re not willing to read it. The only one here that I’m aware of who says that they’ve read it is honor. He, of course, has his own opinions on what is in the book. But at least he says he’s read it.

There will never be any evidence which convinces the critics in regards to the coming forth of the Book of Mormon as being the work of God. I’ve provided links, not a few, in this thread that let the experts speak for themselves in regards to their research into Book of Mormon origins/translation.

At the end of the day each one of us makes our own determination as to the validity and truthfulness of this modern day scriptural work and whether its testimony of Christ will impact and guide our lives.

I appreciate your viewpoint on this topic.

Regards,
MG
Last edited by MG 2.0 on Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Morley wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:58 pm
Please let me respond closer to the way I should have, as I try push the evil Morley partially to the rear.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:54 pm
What I’m getting at is that the ‘larger picture’ is not unimportant. It’s back to the Monet paintings analogy I’ve used before. Looking at the individual blotches of paint may distract from the overall beauty of ‘the plan’ in its complete framing.
You're certainly right, the larger picture is what's important. For example, if one were to look at a painting by Thomas Kinkade, even his most jaded critics might concede that some of the individual stokes or color choices might be acceptable. It's when one steps back from the painting, and considers the impact of the whole composition, that the overwhelming feeling of nausea embraces you. That there are some small parts of the work that might be worthwhile does not redeem the benign toxicity and saccharine artificiality of the whole.
That’s where we differ. As I look at the Monet I see the whole as being ‘good fruit’. The gospel of Jesus Christ is what it’s all about. He who was crucified for our sins, rose the third day, and lives today and guides and directs His church in order to bring souls back into God’s presence.

I do not view that as toxic.

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:23 pm
...From what I’ve read on this topic over the years my opinion is simply that you’re giving Joseph Smith too much credit for doing something that would have been beyond his reach. You’ve asked me to go through Grant Hardy’s book and spoon feed selections and ‘proofs’ that had meaning to me and yet you’re not willing to read it. The only one here that I’m aware of who says that they’ve read it is honor...
Yes, he did, thank you for mentioning that. Here's his opinion:
honorentheos wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:50 pm
I've stated the Book of Mormon is not complex. It's not. I've stated Grant Hardy's book calling it complex was garbage. It is. I regret the hours lost in reading it as I bought and read it out of a promise I would do so only to discover it was clearly a book I would normally have abandoned early on so as to not waste time reading garbage when there are so many great books I will never have time to read. I'm bitter about that and learned a lesson about how I phrase a promise of reading something going forward. Jesus that book was bad.

Here's the thing: Joseph Smith the person has no connection to my life now. None. I don't think about him and I don't have much to do with the religion he started now outside of participating on this board and an occasion comment from family living in Utah still. I don't feel the need to paint him in a negative light just as I don't feel the need to elevate him, either. Everyone is complex but we don't deal with people as complex individuals out if economy. We simplify by necessity. Is Joseph Smith complex as a historical figure? Sure. Should I look to his life for examples on how to live? Hell no. Should I reread the Book of Mormon again? Again, hell no. Should I feel angry about being raised in the church he started? Why waste the time?
Again, I agree with Dan Vogel and many others, smarter than me on the subject (I have read), that Smith is the sole author of the Book of Mormon. We will have to agree to disagree.
They aren't that smart, then. ;) Smith and Cowdery collaborating during the writing of the Book of Mormon is documented in the D&C. They discussed the content. And again, if Smith could have written it on his own he would have the first time he tried but failed. The facts are what they are. Cowdery changed the calculus where before his involvement was a slow process of which we have limited remaining product. With Cowdery's involvement they produced the pre-edited version of the book we have. We have a product of the 19th century whose production was affected by Smith and Cowdery working together in a way Smith working with others prior to that where the result was unable to match what we see when Cowdery was involved.

There are very few hard facts really available to us in the 21st century when it comes to the production of the Book of Mormon. But the timeline is as close to one as we have access to, and it strongly favors a Smith/Cowdery collaboration scenario over a Smith as primary sole source scenario...
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:07 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:23 pm
...From what I’ve read on this topic over the years my opinion is simply that you’re giving Joseph Smith too much credit for doing something that would have been beyond his reach. You’ve asked me to go through Grant Hardy’s book and spoon feed selections and ‘proofs’ that had meaning to me and yet you’re not willing to read it. The only one here that I’m aware of who says that they’ve read it is honor...
honorentheos wrote:
I've stated the Book of Mormon is not complex. It's not. I've stated Grant Hardy's book calling it complex was garbage. It is. I regret the hours lost in reading it as I bought and read it out of a promise I would do so only to discover it was clearly a book I would normally have abandoned early on so as to not waste time reading garbage when there are so many great books I will never have time to read. I'm bitter about that and learned a lesson about how I phrase a promise of reading something going forward. Jesus that book was bad.
Yeah. So there you have it. Yay. Substantiative paragraph.

He’s got his opinion, like I said.

Thanks for reposting this. Definitely impacts my views on what is presented by Hardy, Hales, and others. 🤭🧐🙂

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:26 pm
Marcus wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:07 pm

Thanks for reposting this. Definitely impacts my views on what is presented by Hardy, Hales, and others. 🤭🧐🙂

Regards,
MG
And again, you truncated a post without indicating that you did so, as well as highlighting comments without indicating you were adding the bolding.

You reinforce your negative reputation every time you post. Here is the actual quote:
honorentheos wrote:

Here's the thing: Joseph Smith the person has no connection to my life now. None. I don't think about him and I don't have much to do with the religion he started now outside of participating on this board and an occasion comment from family living in Utah still. I don't feel the need to paint him in a negative light just as I don't feel the need to elevate him, either. Everyone is complex but we don't deal with people as complex individuals out if economy. We simplify by necessity. Is Joseph Smith complex as a historical figure? Sure. Should I look to his life for examples on how to live? Hell no. Should I reread the Book of Mormon again? Again, hell no. Should I feel angry about being raised in the church he started? Why waste the time?
Again, I agree with Dan Vogel and many others, smarter than me on the subject (I have read), that Smith is the sole author of the Book of Mormon. We will have to agree to disagree.
They aren't that smart, then. ;) Smith and Cowdery collaborating during the writing of the Book of Mormon is documented in the D&C. They discussed the content. And again, if Smith could have written it on his own he would have the first time he tried but failed. The facts are what they are. Cowdery changed the calculus where before his involvement was a slow process of which we have limited remaining product. With Cowdery's involvement they produced the pre-edited version of the book we have. We have a product of the 19th century whose production was affected by Smith and Cowdery working together in a way Smith working with others prior to that where the result was unable to match what we see when Cowdery was involved.

There are very few hard facts really available to us in the 21st century when it comes to the production of the Book of Mormon. But the timeline is as close to one as we have access to, and it strongly favors a Smith/Cowdery collaboration scenario over a Smith as primary sole source scenario...
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:29 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:26 pm

Regards,
MG
And again, you truncated a post without indicating that you did so.
And I just did it again.

The rest of his post had nothing to do with the previous posts and Hardy’s book.

You’re runnin’ on empty there gal. You have a tendency to show up and throw up some flak to move some of my better posts (no humility there, right? 😄) up the page and try to make them disappear or pass into irrelevancy.

Without substantiative argument. Almost never. Just nit picky stuff.

Nice trick, but as with other goofy things you do…transparent.

I know you mean well though. Right? 😉

Regards,
MG
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:37 pm
Marcus wrote:
...And I just did it again...
:roll:
MG 2.0 wrote:
... some of my better posts (no humility there, right? 😄) up the page and try to make them disappear or pass into irrelevancy....
Wow. That's how a troll trolls...
MG 2.0 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
...The rest of his post had nothing to do with the previous posts and Hardy’s book...
lol. Pay better attention.
honorentheos wrote:

malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Physics Guy wrote:
That would be like claiming that I must have gotten onto the roof of my house by magically levitating, because there's no evidence that I used a rope or a ladder or climbed out a window or got boosted by friends. The mere possibility of many mundane ways of getting onto the roof, even if we can't confirm any of them, means that my being on the roof is zero evidence for my being able to levitate.
We know your secret!
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:44 pm
*snip whole post
Have you no shame? 80-90% of your responses to me are large volume cut and pastes.

For being such a smart person (you do work in the academy from what I seem to remember) you sure do some dumb things.

Any substantive original response to the post made upthread to PG?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=158043&start=1290

Or are you just trying to make it disappear?

Folks, take a look at what this lady can do. Isn’t she amazing? Not only the board nanny but also the cut and paste queen. What skill! What acumen!

Do you think Joseph Smith wrote/dictated the Book of Mormon on his own? How did you come to the conclusion that you have?

Regards,
MG