A Darkness Settles Over "6 Days in August"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: A Darkness Settles Over "6 Days in August"

Post by huckelberry »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:10 am
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:11 am
:lol: :lol:
I could easily air brush them out and it wouldn't cost him a fortune of any kind. Yes, I would want to get paid, but I could save him enough money from his own LDS folks ripping him off, he could have enough to make yet ANOTHER movie. He needs to contact me...
I find myself thinking it is a pleasure to see a good period piece that convincingly looks like the period intended to be portrayed. But movie companies have lots of money to invest and can afford large created scenes.Towns can be built and computer generated backgrounds can be elaborate and convincing.

It is certainly possible to tolerate much less convincing scenes if one is enjoying the story. I think of television and how obviously scenes supposedly taking place in places like Dodge City Kansas are filmed just outside Los Angeles which does not look at all like Kansas.California scenery is accepted as a substitute for most anyplace.

In a film keeping close to some time period, American frontier out west, it can be jarring for a modern intrusion to appear. I am remembering a film keeping close to period involved a horse chase where a modern wheat field was seen between forest areas. Jarring but not enough to spoil the film. It is difficult to find a lot of scenes where the present is invisible.

I find the modernness of these images for this Brigham Young film jarring. It is not just the details but the image of neat overly clean everything. Clothing brand new, lawns large and modern, and interiors with a modern flavor to the walls and nicknacks.

Is this a desire to fit modern Mormon taste and expectations for appearance? After all some effort to be closer to period presentation might not be all that expensive. I think there are still, at least a few, neighborhood in Salt Lake which would look closer to the time period. (disappearing I realize)
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I thought they filmed in a period village, in upstate new york. You would think many of these issues would already be solved. I wonder why they are not?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:50 pm
I thought they filmed in a period village, in upstate new york. You would think many of these issues would already be solved. I wonder why they are not?
Marcus,

It looks like it's being filmed at a tourist attraction in Canada called Upper Canadian Village which is supposed to give visitors a taste of what life would have been like in Canada in the 1870's. There are shops to buy souvenirs, candy stores, restaurants and bakeries:

https://www.uppercanadavillage.com/faq/

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... f-god.html

Using this village for 6 Days in August is kind of like shooting a movie about life on the frontier, and filming the entire movie at Pioneer Village in Lagoon.

6 Days in August is going to be freaking awesome! Marcus, I hope you can make it down for the discussmormonism screening when the film finally opens.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:50 pm
I am pretty sure the white frame house and white picket fence fit the period it is the lawn which is modern. Period locations seem to like modern lawns, they are probably easier to keep up and look nicer.

The western town I live in has a few modest frame houses from about 1850 in connection with regional army fort. White frame and fence, however because they are in a funky part of town not a historical preserve the lawn is closer to original.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

More glaring anachronisms from movie stills posted by SeN. Look at the anachronistic chrome decorative straps and the aluminum clamps/hardware. Yeah....I know, these are only movie stills and DCP will not be using any of this in the finished product:

In the middle and far right of this still, you can see the girl wearing a bobby pin in her hair. Unfortunately for DCP, bobby pins are completely anachronistic. And, of course in the background, we have yet another well mowed, watered and fertilized lawn. It's a good thing DCP isn't going to be using any of this in the film:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

There is a part of me that wonders if DCP is being taken for a ride. How much are the actual filmmakers getting paid? Given all the other facts of his life, you kind of have to assume that DCP would be a pretty easy “mark.” So are the filmmakers just telling him, “Oh, yeah—of course. ‘Period appropriate.’ Sure. We’ll get right in that, but it’s going to cost money.”

They come back with the goods, and what does he know? Nothing, apparently, since he still seems to think all of this stuff is “period appropriate.”
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:15 am
There is a part of me that wonders if DCP is being taken for a ride. How much are the actual filmmakers getting paid? Given all the other facts of his life, you kind of have to assume that DCP would be a pretty easy “mark.” So are the filmmakers just telling him, “Oh, yeah—of course. ‘Period appropriate.’ Sure. We’ll get right in that, but it’s going to cost money.”

They come back with the goods, and what does he know? Nothing, apparently, since he still seems to think all of this stuff is “period appropriate.”
That's a great observation, Dr. Scratch. Affinity fraud is rampant in the Church. No doubt, the filmmakers have made plenty of money from DCP's gullibility.

I remember when Witnesses was finally finished, and DCP immediately appealed to his readers for $200,000 for unanticipated marketing costs that the filmmakers told him they needed. Also, I remember when DCP was pleading with his readers for $100,000 so the filmmakers could make 5 minute short videos from the movie that DCP could post online, all because the filmmakers told DCP that's what they needed. And on and on..............

Remember, DCP is the guy who gave Royal Skousen $300,000 for a book nobody will ever buy.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:36 pm
More glaring anachronisms from movie stills posted by SeN. Look at the anachronistic chrome decorative straps and the aluminum clamps/hardware. Yeah....I know, these are only movie stills and DCP will not be using any of this in the finished product:

In the middle and far right of this still, you can see the girl wearing a bobby pin in her hair. Unfortunately for DCP, bobby pins are completely anachronistic. And, of course in the background, we have yet another well mowed, watered and fertilized lawn. It's a good thing DCP isn't going to be using any of this in the film:

At least they are black horses. The historical records state Emma and him rode off to get the plates with one. Now if they had used Little Joe's Pinto Paint that would be glaring.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I am excited to see this movie, even though I consider BY to have been a bully and a tyrant.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:16 am
I am excited to see this movie, even though I consider BY to have been a bully and a tyrant.
I hear claims from time to time that Brigham Young was a tyrant and a bully. I don’t believe that the historical record really supports that assertion.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... bject.html

What parts of the historical record support the assertion that BY was a bully and a tyrant?