The 2023 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

The 2023 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by Doctor Scratch »

My Dear Friends & Colleagues:

This is, I admit, one of my favorite moments of the year. The annual Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award is one of the highest honors that Cassius University can bestow upon a person involved in Mopologetics. As you may recall, Dean Gadianton P. Robbers established the award more than a decade ago to "whose role in the course and/or study of Mopologetics has had an enormous and undeniable impact on the field." 2023 will likely go down as a historic year insofar as it has been chock-full of individuals who were worthy of recognition. But two people clearly rose above the rest of the pack in terms of the impact they've delivered. The first, as I'm sure you could have guessed, is none other than Mike Parker**:

Parker labored for years as the driving force behind the "Neville-Neville Land" blog: a work that redefined the meaning of "obsession" and raised the bar in terms of the ways that Mopologists will pursue a personal vendetta. Unrelentingly vicious, "Neville-Neville Land" showed yet again that the Mopologists are intolerant of the religious views of others--especially other Latter-day Saints who reject their theories about Book of Mormon historicity. Fueled by slavish praise from Dr. Peterson, Parker posted his attacks on Jonathan Neville with a strident regularity, right up until the so-called "Nygren Scandal" effectively brought his reign of terror to an end. To date, the postings on "Neville-Neville Land" have all but dried up.

Speaking of the "Nygren Scandal," we cannot forget Parker's partner in crime, Robert Boylan:

Known for his viciousness and his affiliation with the "Deznat" movement, Boylan made waves this year when he announced on his podcast that "Neville-Neville Land" was actually authored by a Black Latter-day Saint from Alabama named "Richard Nygren." Mike Parker, still pseudonymously posting as "Peter Pan" at the time, encouraged this assertion, as did Dr. Peterson and other Mopologists. Of course, no one could locate anyone named "Richard Nygren" who was associated with LDS apologetics--let alone a Black Latter-day Saint. Increasingly, it came to seem as if the Mopologists were using a phony Black man as a "shield" in order to deflect criticisms away from their toxic behavior.

Of course, Mike Parker was eventually revealed as the true author of "Neville-Neville Land," and in the wake of that revelation, Bill Reel and Stephen Pynnaker hosted a lengthy podcast in which Boylan and Parker were taken to task for what amounts to a kind of Mopologetic "minstrelsy." Parker and Boylan appeared in a podcast of their own in which they swore up and down that they are "not racist." Parker, meanwhile, threatened legal action and even stormed into Bill Reel's workplace in an effort to confront (and presumably harangue) him.

It was quite a spectacle, and as a result, Parker and Boylan are indisputably the two people most deserving of the 2023 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award. I hope you will join me in offering them a hearty round of congratulations!

I do have an addendum. Due to the revelations surrounding Parker's role in the "Neville-Neville Land" blog, the Cassius University administration has taken the enormous and unprecedented step of actually revoking last year's Golden Scepter Award. As you may recall, that award was (mistakenly) given to Stephen Smoot under the assumption that *he* was the author behind "Neville-Neville Land." With apologies to Brother Smoot, the Golden Scepter is hereby revoked, and, instead, Cassius has created a brand-new award to be given out on special occasions only (not annually, necessarily) to an individual who has suffered undo abuse--or "friendly fire," even--from the Mopologists. This award is called the Elijah Abel Award, and it is with great honor that we confer this award upon Richard Nygren, whose name was used with reckless abandon by the Mopologists in an effort to avoid accountability. Again: I hope you'll join me in offering up a round of applause for Mr. Nygren and his considerable fortitude.

**Addendum: Thanks to a suggestion from Dr. Shades, Mike Parker has officially been switched into last year’s winner. After all, as Shades pointed out, the 2022 Scepter was awarded for work that Parker was actually doing. Thus, Robert Boylan is the sole winner of this year’s Golden Scepter.
Last edited by Doctor Scratch on Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Re: The 2023 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by drumdude »

A hearty congratulations to both of these rising stars. I hope Mike finds the courage to keep going, as DCP noted his blog is very sadly necessary.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:09 pm
A hearty congratulations to both of these rising stars. I hope Mike finds the courage to keep going, as DCP noted his blog is very sadly necessary.
Good point. If one is to promote the Mesoamerican theory as the preferred fictional location, it is necessary to demonize the advocates of the competing Heartland fictional model. Well, just as long as they leave the prime advocate of the Delmarva hypothesis without tar and feathers this demonization is lamentable but understandable since it reduces the likelihood of apologetic spontaneous combustion.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Tapir Rodeo
Sunbeam

Post by Tapir Rodeo »

Obsession and viciousness are the two pillars that hold up the entire Mopologist structure. Parker and Boylan possess and display these virtuous character traits in abundance. A hearty congratulations to these two scholars on their tremendous achievement.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Grats. Well earned.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

These winners should be very proud of their accomplishments.

I'm a little shocked at the Smoot fiasco. I would have thought he'd refuse the award since he knew he wasn't the "man behind the mask".
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

What a fiasco! Certainly deserving of this award. Nicely done, Doctor Scratch!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

Fine selections.

Previous winners:

viewtopic.php?p=2836387#p2836387
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Excellent choices!

We all knew that one of them would be the recipient; the only question was which one. Bestowing the award on both was very appropriate.

CONGRATULATIONS to the very deserving winners!
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Congrats are in order everywhere throughout Mopologist land! The capable leadership of viciousness and inspired duplicity were never better displayed, no not in all of Israel. Let the horn of Gabriel be blown long and loud, may the wings of Elijah, and Moroni fly Mopologetics to ever greater heights of madness and ridiculousness. Now if only the Brethren would get inspired and have these two fine examples of Mopologists speak in General Conference to share their style, their teaching efforts, their intellectual prowess, the force itself would quake and the heavens would resound. May the Lord God of Mopologetic Israel continue on with his stalwart dedicated inspiration to Mopologists the world over as the Gospel continues to roll down the mountain become the mostest gigantic stone to crush all who don't think like they do is our humble prayer, in the name of Cheese-n-Rice, Ramen!