Is Mopologetics Equivalent to a Church Calling?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Is Mopologetics Equivalent to a Church Calling?

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:04 pm
I think Senior missions are a much better use of assets than the current Junior missionary program. It gives Seniors something to do, a place to be, friends and social bonds to make, and most likely a wiser approach to volunteerism. Pay-to-play, though. Evil.

- Doc
Doc I think I can see possible positives in the senior mission idea. People might be attracted to it. But we keep reading stories were it sounds abusive and pressured. But people in all sorts of cultures sometimes manufacture suffering for themselves as a spiritual sacrifice. It could avoid boredom if a person can afford it.

Well I am not sure what all to think about it but it certainly waves caution flags in my mind.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:47 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:04 pm
I think Senior missions are a much better use of assets than the current Junior missionary program. It gives Seniors something to do, a place to be, friends and social bonds to make, and most likely a wiser approach to volunteerism. Pay-to-play, though. Evil.

- Doc
Doc I think I can see possible positives in the senior mission idea. People might be attracted to it. But we keep reading stories were it sounds abusive and pressured. But people in all sorts of cultures sometimes manufacture suffering for themselves as a spiritual sacrifice. It could avoid boredom if a person can afford it.

Well I am not sure what all to think about it but it certainly waves caution flags in my mind.
“People” aren’t attracted to it. Lifelong Mormon cultists, though? Might help them get what their ‘church’ took away from them, which is a vibrant social community.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:11 pm
“People” aren’t attracted to it. Lifelong Mormon cultists, though? Might help them get what their ‘church’ took away from them, which is a vibrant social community.

- Doc
Doc, "People aren't"

Well I admit I have experienced no attraction to it at all. I also fear it could move even further from vibrant social community but result could vary from situation to situation.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:43 pm
Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:39 am wrote:I'm sure this is a church-wide thing, but senior missions are really being pushed in my stake. It's relentless, and returned senior missionaries are constantly being paraded in front of us as the returned heroes. Those who serve multiple missions are the elite of the elite.
https://newordermormon.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3445

This post is from NOM the individual has posted here a few times, hope it is not a improper to copy it here.

I was surprised at this. When active in the church I never heard of this business. It was certainly not pushed. I am wondering if the whole program is relatively new. Anybody know when this all started or grew to become a thing?
Not surprising. After all, more of them will have their own money, and fewer of them will be struggling with their personal identity (in the transition from childhood to adulthood). I think this is actually a great development. Let the duffers go, not the babies.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

If this is true, it's the biggest plot twist in years.
I agree.

Dr. Scratch, doesn't this raise questions about the mission period? Was that thrown also? If the gift of tongues were bestowed with such magnitude that it left a permanent speech impediment, then how are we to account for no baptisms?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:24 am
If this is true, it's the biggest plot twist in years.
I agree.

Dr. Scratch, doesn't this raise questions about the mission period? Was that thrown also? If the gift of tongues were bestowed with such magnitude that it left a permanent speech impediment, then how are we to account for no baptisms?
Dr. Peterson’s own recollections from his mission—the stories he seems proudest of and in which he seems to feel that he’s done the most in “the service of the Lord” are the stories where he confronts and “creams” Church critics. It’s as if he was convinced that his purpose was not to convert anyone, but instead, to “mop the floor” with critics.

I guess the major question here, then, is: Did he just decide to do this in his own, in defiance of Church leaders’ orders? Or was he explicitly given a special, distinct “mission”? I tend to think it’s the former. If he thinks that he can wave away Elder Rasband’s apostolic pleas in favor of vacation time, then why wouldn’t he ignore the push for conversions in favor of Mopologetics?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14