Is Mopologetics Equivalent to a Church Calling?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Is Mopologetics Equivalent to a Church Calling?

Post by Doctor Scratch »

In the past, we have been laughed at for wondering if the apologists were “set apart”—I.e., if they were given a special, Church-sanctioned calling to go on the attack. The question of the extent to which the Brethren support Mopilogetics remains fuzzy, but I was struck by this comment on SeN:
Elder Alan T. Phillips asked a really good question: Are we, he asked, merely passively attending church? Or are we actively seeking to build a community of caring and faith? That’s something to ponder.

So, also, is Elder Ronald A. Rasband’s invitation for older couples to serve missions. My wife and I have considered this matter a great deal. Right now, our conviction (which, I realize full well, will be mocked and derided by the usual suspects) is that, through our daily involvement in the work of the Interpreter Foundation, we are serving a mission. And we’re pedaling about as fast as we can.
Wow….The arrogance of this is absolutely stunning. “Mormon Interpreter” is a “mission”? How, pray tell, in this supporting the Brethren’s goals? And the implication here is equally staggering: DCP seems to be saying that, if he *were* called upon to serve a mission, he’d actually say “No” because of Interpreter! Holy crap! Whatever happened to the importance of obedience? This is really a shocking rebuke of the Brethren’s authority. Dr. Peterson should count himself as lucky if he’s *not* subsequently called on a senior mission just to teach him a lesson for being so impudent.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Is Mopologetics Equivalent to a Church Calling?

Post by Philo Sofee »

His community is not being built of faith and caring, it's built of mockery of others both in and out of his cult who don't think like them or come to their pre-ordained conclusions. He's not kidding anyone if he thinks he is doing otherwise. How many baptisms of genuine converts have Interpreter produced, and for how long have they stayed active, temple attending tithe paying and in leadership roles? He has not even ONCE ever discussed and shared THEIR stories of faith and conversion and remaining in the Gospel in over 25 years that I recall. NOT ONCE.
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:10 am
In the past, we have been laughed at for wondering if the apologists were “set apart”—I.e., if they were given a special, Church-sanctioned calling to go on the attack. The question of the extent to which the Brethren support Mopilogetics remains fuzzy, but I was struck by this comment on SeN:
Elder Alan T. Phillips asked a really good question: Are we, he asked, merely passively attending church? Or are we actively seeking to build a community of caring and faith? That’s something to ponder.

So, also, is Elder Ronald A. Rasband’s invitation for older couples to serve missions. My wife and I have considered this matter a great deal. Right now, our conviction (which, I realize full well, will be mocked and derided by the usual suspects) is that, through our daily involvement in the work of the Interpreter Foundation, we are serving a mission. And we’re pedaling about as fast as we can.
Wow….The arrogance of this is absolutely stunning. “Mormon Interpreter” is a “mission”? How, pray tell, in this supporting the Brethren’s goals? And the implication here is equally staggering: DCP seems to be saying that, if he *were* called upon to serve a mission, he’d actually say “No” because of Interpreter! Holy crap! Whatever happened to the importance of obedience? This is really a shocking rebuke of the Brethren’s authority. Dr. Peterson should count himself as lucky if he’s *not* subsequently called on a senior mission just to teach him a lesson for being so impudent.
I think in fairness it should be mentioned that older couples are not called out of the blue, at least not last I heard. Like the boys and girls, older couples have to put in paperwork to be considered. Petersen is apparently saying he and his wife just decided not to start the process leading to a calling.
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Interesting. How much time per day is really going to Interpreter? Seems to me the bulk of the time is going to travel and fun. It's almost as if Interpreter was devised as a "shield" to avoid a real calling, such that merriment might flow forth uninterrupted.

The crazy thing is if Mopologetic arguments are so great and literally being the most accomplished Mopologist in the world; why wouldn't you want to go on a mission and show everyone how it's done?
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Peddling.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Whatever happened to the importance of obedience? This is really a shocking rebuke of the Brethren’s authority. Dr. Peterson should count himself as lucky if he’s *not* subsequently called on a senior mission just to teach him a lesson for being so impudent.
When you imply that the Mantle is greater than the Sword, are you taking into account how devastated those so-called "Authorities" would be if the Sword commissioned a well-executed hit piece on them?

People are called to the Mantle all the time but have not put in the training at apologetics boot camp crawling through the mud of the obstacle course and learning how to stave off evidence and logic, only to be able to deliver effective ad hominem attacks.

Many are called but few are hardened by apologetics.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

I wonder if Jonathan Neville and Rodney Meldrum consider what they are doing to be "missions," too.

If they do, would DCP agree with them?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It must be such a heavy burden to shoulder a mission call that requires you to be the center of attention.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Doctor Scratch wrote:

He’s saying a couple of things here. 1. He’s too busy to serve a mission, and 2. Interpreter is more important than the Church.

If he truly believed what he writes about faith and service, he’d have already served a senior couple mission with his wife. I wonder how he will explain himself to God when asked to do so? “Sorry God, I was far too busy with more important things than your senior couples gig.”

It’s the contrast between what he says and what he does that’s noteworthy here. He will express joy and satisfaction with the talks of General Conference. He will quote his leaders calls for this and that. But when push comes to shove, he won’t follow their counsel. He talks the talk, but…he’s two-faced, and that two-facedness is well documented.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:23 am
Peddling.
Lol, yes. As fast as he can.