Church Leaders use General Conference to make singles feel bad...again

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Church Leaders use General Conference to make singles feel bad...again

Post by I Have Questions »

Dallin H. Oaks, who is effectively the church's second-in-line after President Russell M. Nelson, said Saturday that "exaltation can be attained only through … an eternal marriage between a man and a woman in the Holy Temple."
https://www.axios.com/local/salt-lake-c ... e-eternity

He's being slightly misleading by not mentioning that exaltation for a woman can also be attained by marrying a man who already has a wife.
The "union of a man and woman in marriage" is the "highest and holiest" manifestation of the church's power to "link generations," said D. Todd Christofferson, member of the church's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
"The Lord has clearly taught that only men and women who are sealed as husband and wife … will be together throughout the eternities," Nelson said in a video message Sunday.
I wonder how all those single sisters are feeling this morning after hearing all that?
Moksha
God

Re: Church Leaders use General Conference to make singles feel bad...again

Post by Moksha »

It's not quite as bad as the Brethren's War against the LGBTQ community. Not as though the singles are being kicked out of the caldron and into the fire. They will just have to remain in the Telestial Kingdom as smoothies, breaking their old mom's heart. Such is the world of LDS doctrine: Jesus had only a limited amount of love to give in order to make way for Joseph Smith.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

And this entire doctrine is overcome and successfully accomplished through Jesus' infinite atonement, which covers all issues, something the brethren are so philosophically inept with they never want to mention it. Their temple is not needed, Jesus has it covered. Marriage is not needed, Jesus has it covered. Tithing is not needed or necessary, Jesus has it covered. Believing anything they say is unnecessary, Jesus has it covered, and so on and so forth on every single thing they proclaim one MUST do in order to spend eternity with those boring brethren dressed all in white sitting around ululating how righteous they all are.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:31 am
Dallin H. Oaks, who is effectively the church's second-in-line after President Russell M. Nelson, said Saturday that "exaltation can be attained only through … an eternal marriage between a man and a woman in the Holy Temple."

He's being slightly misleading by not mentioning that exaltation for a woman can also be attained by marrying a man who already has a wife.
The "union of a man and woman in marriage" is the "highest and holiest" manifestation of the church's power to "link generations," said D. Todd Christofferson, member of the church's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
"The Lord has clearly taught that only men and women who are sealed as husband and wife … will be together throughout the eternities," Nelson said in a video message Sunday.
I wonder how all those single sisters are feeling this morning after hearing all that?
Motivated? ;)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:31 am

I wonder how Stephen Smoot is feeling this morning after hearing all that?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

No wonder Dr. Peterson supports the Utah right to charge eight-year-olds with capital murder. After all, they've reached the age of accountability and they are all single!!!
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

It is Incredible to me that these jokers can get up there in GC knowing they are not speaking for God and have no connection to deity and perpetuate the notion that someone can only attain the highest degree of the celestial kingdom by entering into a marriage sealing in the temple to someone of the opposite sex when in truth LDS temples are nothing but Masonic structures while Christ himself says in the book of Matthew that there is no marriage in heaven after we die, let alone eternal marriage. The nerve, deceit and arrogance of these men atop the 'church' never ceases to amaze. If they're going to continue to promote this stuff, they need to give credit to Emmanuel Swedenborg because that's where Smith got it all from! :x :oops:

They need to re-name it 'The Church of Joseph Smith of Modern Day Fraud' or 'The Church of Swedenborg and Spaulding'. :lol:

“Our whole strength rests on the validity of that [first] vision. It either occurred or it did not occur. If it did not, then this work is a fraud. If it did, then it is the most important and wonderful work under the heavens.”
—President Gordon B. Hinckley

Uh, yeah, the former. :lol:
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:21 pm
No wonder Dr. Peterson supports the Utah right to charge eight-year-olds with capital murder.
Please don’t make statements of fact that aren’t actually factual.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:40 pm
It is Incredible to me that these jokers can get up there in GC knowing they are not speaking for God and have no connection to deity and perpetuate the notion that someone can only attain the highest degree of the celestial kingdom by entering into a marriage sealing in the temple to someone of the opposite sex when in truth LDS temples are nothing but Masonic structures while Christ himself says in the book of Matthew that there is no marriage in heaven after we die, let alone eternal marriage. The nerve, deceit and arrogance of these men atop the 'church' never ceases to amaze. If they're going to continue to promote this stuff, they need to give credit to Emmanuel Swedenborg because that's where Smith got it all from! :x :oops:

They need to re-name it 'The Church of Joseph Smith of Modern Day Fraud' or 'The Church of Swedenborg and Spaulding'. :lol:

“Our whole strength rests on the validity of that [first] vision. It either occurred or it did not occur. If it did not, then this work is a fraud. If it did, then it is the most important and wonderful work under the heavens.”
—President Gordon B. Hinckley

Uh, yeah, the former. :lol:
That word "occur" is carrying an awful lot of weight here.

There's reason to think that, even if something occurred that the church calls the First Vision, the supportable details of that occurrence are far different from the story the church tells.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:51 pm
Moksha wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:21 pm
... the Utah right to charge eight-year-olds with capital murder.
Please don’t make statements of fact that aren’t actually factual.
Eight-year-olds have been charged as an adult in the US. That part about Dr. Peterson supporting Utah was unfortunate hyperbole. Sorry.