Mothers in Zion - why they're leaving

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Mothers in Zion - why they're leaving

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:14 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:32 pm
Thank you kind, dear one, for sharing this. It is a tragedy. My own mother was very similar to this for so long! Oh it is a video in the making from my end, somehow, someway I have to help get the women's voices heard also. Their humanity is sacrificed by the church and they are taught to believe the Kingdom of God is more important than even their own lives and their family. It is just ridiculous how we were all brainwashed into thinking we are doing God's work, when it is anything but in that organization.
My mother, too. Between church, running the family business with my father, and more church she ran herself ragged. She died at 63 of a heart attack in 2001. We were unfortunately estranged, but it doesn't change how I feel about her and the sacrifices she made to further the cult's aims. Was she happy? For the most part I remember her being a fairly jovial person, but I also remember the tears she shed, unnecessarily, for children who didn't fit into the 70's - 90's mold of the Perfect Mormon. Too much heartache for a terrific woman who gave all only to have her life cut short. RIP, mom.

- Doc
This cuts me. I don't think folks fully appreciate the weight that LDS women carry. How much they try to keep up, measure up, achieve perfection when it's humanly impossible or cry for their children who stepped off the path and how frightened they are for them. Eternal families. All of it.

My friend was only 57 when she died. She was a good cook but didn't look after healthy foods if you know what I mean. Think comfort food...so tasty. Loved fast food and had cases of Coke stacked by the freezer in the garage. But what are you supposed to do when you have so many expectations to live up to and don't even have time to come up for air? You do what you do to keep going, I guess, until you can't and your body gives out under the weight of the demands.

I wonder how many posters here have an LDS woman in their lives like you guys' mothers and my friend? Dr. Moore's post makes me think that maybe the younger generation is more protective of their time and well being?

God I hope so.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:06 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:04 am
She died of a massive heart attack. She only lived to see one of her children's weddings. The woman who loved babies so much never lived to see her grandchildren. It wasn't supposed to be that way. It should have never been that way. The anger I mention is due to the fact that I blame her running herself into the ground primarily for the LDS Church for her death and I don't care what anyone else thinks about that opinion.

How I wish she had lived long enough to see the grassroots movement unfolding in the lives of the Sisters you wrote about Dr. Moore. She would have led the charge.
Thanks for sharing this. Powerful, and heartbreaking. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you for sharing the conversations you had with the ladies. My friend was only 57 years old when she died suddenly. To this day, the memory of it stirs up grief and anger. I know we had a poster on the previous board who would know exactly who I wrote about. Small world some days. I don't think they are here now but if they are, you know what? Everything I wrote is true including my views about it and I left out some detail so as to obscure her identity because it's not my intention to hurt anyone on a personal level. They've already been hurt enough.

Dr. Moore do something important with the information from your conversations. Get it up on youtube or wherever you choose only let those voices be heard. I am sure there are many more ladies who are losing their sense of self worth while struggling to keep up, harboring resentment because they know the cost, and they haven't yet found their tribe.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be missionaries
Don't let 'em ride bikes or rusty old trikes
In Des Moines or third world countries.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:08 pm

He called me a bitch because i was doing the unthinkable, getting my graduate degree and teaching at a university, while raising a young child. Even my then-husband, who was raised by a non-lds, outspoken career woman, said nothing in my support.

I remember looking over at my Mom in panic, who had gathered all her kids, their spouses and grandkids to listen to him yell at me, but the complacent satisfaction in her face told me all I needed to know. I was on my own.

My parents had always encouraged me to use my brain, right up until my path in the lds church as a married mother began. Then, every stereotype kicked in and I was shocked and sickened. It was a very, very, VERY difficult time. I never stayed with them again.
I would have been so breathtakingly proud of you, Marcus.

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:31 am
Marcus wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:08 pm
He called me a bitch because i was doing the unthinkable, getting my graduate degree and teaching at a university, while raising a young child. Even my then-husband, who was raised by a non-lds, outspoken career woman, said nothing in my support.

I remember looking over at my Mom in panic, who had gathered all her kids, their spouses and grandkids to listen to him yell at me, but the complacent satisfaction in her face told me all I needed to know. I was on my own.

My parents had always encouraged me to use my brain, right up until my path in the lds church as a married mother began. Then, every stereotype kicked in and I was shocked and sickened. It was a very, very, VERY difficult time. I never stayed with them again.
Thank you, my dear friend! Your comments and support have helped me so much over the years. I appreciate our friendship immensely. Jersey Girls Forever!!!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:03 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:31 am
Thank you, my dear friend! Your comments and support have helped me so much over the years. I appreciate our friendship immensely. Jersey Girls Forever!!!
You're both stars in my opinion. I will be airing some of these things out on my Sunday program with Rene Steelman! She is the one who hosts the You Tube show "She Became Visible." I will be on her show Sunday morning, then she on mine Sunday night!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Yeah, Marcus and Jersey Girl are rock stars in their own rights. To be able to work so hard and then win the lives they desired to live, it's pure fiction for most people. Tip o' the hat to them.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:42 pm
Yeah, Marcus and Jersey Girl are rock stars in their own rights. To be able to work so hard and then win the lives they desired to live, it's pure fiction for most people. Tip o' the hat to them.

- Doc
Amen.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Philo, this link is blowing up today among LDS women. It’s directly related to the themes in the OP.

https://homeculture.substack.com/p/altar-bound-79c
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:44 am
Philo, this link is blowing up today among LDS women. It’s directly related to the themes in the OP.

https://homeculture.substack.com/p/altar-bound-79c
THANK YOU! You are a scholar and gentleman.