White Male Supremacy is alive and well at General Conference

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: White Male Supremacy is alive and well at General Conference

Post by MG 2.0 »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:26 am
The content of the distinctive Mormon revelation seems to be all about Mormon priesthood and ordinances. The LDS church doesn't seem to be much of a vehicle for anything else. The message is that we have a message. We're the church of being the church.
The core work of the church is:

*Living the gospel of Jesus Christ
*Caring for those in need
*Inviting all to receive the gospel
*Uniting families for eternity

It’s pretty simple really.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:58 pm
Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:40 pm
... how it is directly guided by God. I think it may be harder to water down, downplay, or dilute a belief of that particular kind than it is to move away from other kinds of beliefs.

It seems as though it would be like Mensa deciding that IQ tests aren’t meaningful after all, so they were never really all that smart, and from now on they’re going to be a cooking club.
I agree. They'd have to adjust the entire belief system to make big changes.
That won’t happen.

Regards,
MG
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:58 pm
Physics Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:40 pm
... how it is directly guided by God. I think it may be harder to water down, downplay, or dilute a belief of that particular kind than it is to move away from other kinds of beliefs.

It seems as though it would be like Mensa deciding that IQ tests aren’t meaningful after all, so they were never really all that smart, and from now on they’re going to be a cooking club.
I agree. They'd have to adjust the entire belief system to make big changes.
I don't think you're giving the Church enough credit for their gaslighting ability. The Church is more than happy to throw past protest under the bus. There are numerous examples of the Church explaining that <insert past Prophet> was a product of his time, or speaking as a man, or speaking with limited knowledge. Then add "ongoing revelation" and "precept upon precept" into the explanation and anything is possible. Blacks now have the Priesthood. Men now have to wait until the next life to live their plural marriage lifestyle. The gathering of Zion is no longer literal. Laminates are no longer the only ancestors of the native Americans. Women can now offer the prayers at General Conference. Etc Etc Etc.

Just give it enough time and enough activism and bad PR (and the deaths of Nelson, Oaks and Bednar).