Bednar claims the church is growing and vibrant

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Bond
CTR A

Re: Bednar claims the church is growing and vibrant

Post by Bond »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:09 am
I believe Elder Bednar. He has always told the truth.

Bednar physically is like a church. He peaked about 2000. He needs to get in touch with Dorian Grey's art guy asap.
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:32 pm
Thing is, at this point in time, even if they still think or believe that, it's gotta be plausible deniability. Why? Just look at the membership #'s... 16 million of which only 8 million are active. That is .0001% of the entire population of the planet, in other words, in the last 203 years since 'restoring' his 'one true church', the best God has done is 1 in 10,000 on planet earth converted to his 'one and only church'??? That is big time inefficieny, to say the least. Meanwhile, there are 1.5 billion catholics which comprises 21% of earth's population. But they're all members of the wrong religion??? I guess God really is working in mysterious ways. And how do these men, who are former doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. who are supposed to be quite bright, actually believe that Smith crated divine scriptue by looking at a rock (that he used to scam people during his money-digging years) in a hat and telling a story with no gold plates used in the process??? I'll tell you... they want to believe... they need to believe... to maintain their celebrity status and all the financial perks that come with being a GA, not to mention their wives, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc. all benefiting financially for decades to come! :lol: :x
That activity rate is probably more like 3-4 million with half of them on their phones scrolling.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

BeNotDeceived wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:32 pm
Thing is, at this point in time, even if they still think or believe that, it's gotta be plausible deniability. Why? Just look at the membership #'s... 16 million of which only 8 million are active. That is .0001% of the entire population of the planet, in other words, in the last 203 years since 'restoring' his 'one true church', the best God has done is 1 in 10,000 on planet earth converted to his 'one and only church'??? That is big time inefficieny, to say the least. Meanwhile, there are 1.5 billion catholics which comprises 21% of earth's population. But they're all members of the wrong religion??? I guess God really is working in mysterious ways. And how do these men, who are former doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc. who are supposed to be quite bright, actually believe that Smith crated divine scriptue by looking at a rock (that he used to scam people during his money-digging years) in a hat and telling a story with no gold plates used in the process??? I'll tell you... they want to believe... they need to believe... to maintain their celebrity status and all the financial perks that come with being a GA, not to mention their wives, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc. all benefiting financially for decades to come! :lol: :x
Be not deceived, I do not think Joseph would have been able to read the plates (if there were such things with the story written on them) by looking at the plates any better than he would have been by looking at a rock. His ability would be the same zero either way. I do not understand why people get worried about him looking at a rock instead of the plates, well different people get their maybe I should question this button pressed by different things. Even so I am sure all Mormon believers think that only the power of God supplied the translation not Joseph. That could have been done with stone, weird stone glasses or any such thing even a helpful raven .

I would not question your observation that a desire to believe plays an important role in people believing.

adding, I think there are quite a few things which might press a persons I should question this button.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

So did Mr Bednar actually say no homosexuals or is that just an as if sort of image.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:46 pm
So did Mr Bednar actually say no homosexuals or is that just an as if sort of image.
Here is a video here he said those words. However, he is not claiming that every church member is heterosexual. He is rejecting use of the label. https://youtu.be/BQ4_wTGv8Ao?si=lUUBD5eu4mx20D0k
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:36 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:46 pm
Here is a video here he said those words. However, he is not claiming that every church member is heterosexual. He is rejecting use of the label. https://youtu.be/BQ4_wTGv8Ao?si=lUUBD5eu4mx20D0k
I understood him to be suggesting that if any member were to identify themselves as homosexual, they’d be excommunicated.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I Have Questions wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:58 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:36 pm
I understood him to be suggesting that if any member were to identify themselves as homosexual, they’d be excommunicated.
I watched the entire clip, and that's not what he said or suggested. In fact, he explains why he made the statement in the clip. His entire point was that the label is irrelevant -- what's relevant is whether an individual chooses to follow God's laws.

It's the "answer the question they should have asked" technique we've all seen before, but he's clearly not suggesting that adopting the label is an excommunicable offense. More like, it's a mistake in thinking.
he/him

I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:05 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:58 pm

I watched the entire clip, and that's not what he said or suggested. In fact, he explains why he made the statement in the clip. His entire point was that the label is irrelevant -- what's relevant is whether an individual chooses to follow God's laws.

It's the "answer the question they should have asked" technique we've all seen before, but he's clearly not suggesting that adopting the label is an excommunicable offense. More like, it's a mistake in thinking.
He also likened same sex attraction to having a physical disability.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I Have Questions wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:06 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:05 pm

Are you referring to the part where he analogized "same sex attraction" to other challenges people face in life?
he/him

I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:06 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:06 pm
Are you referring to the part where he analogized "same sex attraction" to other challenges people face in life?
I’m referring to this…
He said: "Some people have physical limitations, they may be born with a body that is not fully functional."

Mr Bednar likened this to having “an inclination to be attracted to someone of the same sex”.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 07146.html