Fact Checking Nelson's Tithing Story

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Fact Checking Nelson's Tithing Story

Post by Dr Moore »

In the latest GC, Pres. Nelson told a faith-promoting story about paying tithing. The story goes, he was earning a meager $15/mo as a medical intern when his wife, Dantzel, asked if they were paying tithing on that stipend. He said no, was challenged to do so, and began paying $1.50/month. The act, he says, changed him even though it did not change the church.

For those interested, the income side of Nelson's story is verifiable.

After graduating from the University of Utah medical school in 1947, Dr. Nelson did his residency at the University of Minnesota, beginning in the same year.

UMN has online school records going back many decades. This includes minutes of the meetings of its board of regents, school budgets, staff directories and staff bulletins covering the years of Nelson's residency and PhD studies (1947-1954, with a break in 1951 for military service).

Here are some links to some of those documents with the relevant information.

https://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/h ... sAllowed=y
Oct. 3, 1947 Staff Bulletin
Interns > Surgery > Russell Nelson

Oct. 1, 1948 Staff Bulletin
Medical Fellows > Russell Nelson
(He was promoted from intern to fellow after August 1948, a bit over 1 year into his residency)

Oct. 1947, Board of Regents Minutes
Russell M Nelson as Medical Intern University of Minnesota Hospitals September 15, 1947 to June 30, 1948 at $158 Term C
(Works out to 9.5 mos @ $158 = $16.63 per month)

July 1948, Board of Regents Minutes
Russell M Nelson continuation of appointment as Medical Intern University of Minnesota Hospitals July 1 to August 31, 1948 at $30 Term C
(2 months internship extension at $15 per month)

Dec. 1948, Board of Regents Minutes
Russell M Nelson as Medical Fellow Surgery Research Funds October 1-31, 1948 at $115 Term CT and Surgery November 1, 1948 to June 30, 1949 at the rate of $1,380 Term A
(As a new fellow, his monthly pay bumped up by roughly 10x. October @ $1,380 annualized)

Russell M Nelson, Medical Fellow …. $1380 (salary 1948-1949) to $1500 (annual salary 1949-1950)

Feb. 1951, Staff Bulletin
Dr. Russell M. Nelson recently left for the Army Medical Center Graduate School in Washington, D. C.

Apr. 1951, Board of Regents Minutes
Voted to approve the following terminations of employment :
Russell M Nelson Medical Fellow Surgery -. effective February 28, 1951
(Nelson left for military duty)

Also, maybe of interest, Nelson was listed as follows in the staff directory for 1949-1950.
Nelson, Russell M, Research Asst Surgery. MeS 511 (6651). 403 7th av se, Mpls 14, Ge 7191

He was mentioned in the UMN annual budget for 1949-1950 as follows.
Nelson, Russell M. Employee number 60278, Department number 2311
2311 - Surgery (Total Budget $121,764, of which Salaries & Wages: $113,014)
Within Department 2311, the Division of General Surgery
Russell M. Nelson, Medical Fellow Payroll: A $1500

Thus, it seems by paying tithing while earning $15/month, Nelson was almost immediately rewarded with a 10x pay increase.

For numerologists, it may be notable that Nelson's badge number 60278 is June 2, 1978. That date is 1 day after the June 1 revelation to end the priesthood ban was given. The revelation would be announced on June 9, 1978 at general conference. Perhaps, in the course of events, Nelson was consulted or given a preview of the revelation to be announced on June 2, being as he was Church Sunday School president at the time and would sit on the stand a week later when the revelation was announced. Is it possible Nelson's future calling, and the end of the priesthood ban, were prophesied his medical residency badge number?
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Fact Checking

Post by High Spy »

Is it possible Nelson's future calling, and the end of the priesthood ban, were prophesied his medical residency badge number?
ldsbot wrote:That's an interesting question! 😊 However, I think it might be a bit of a stretch. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that callings to serve, like the one President Nelson received, come through inspiration and revelation from God through the current prophet and apostles, rather than signs or symbolic events. While God can certainly provide signs, typically such callings do not come so indirectly.

As for the ending of the priesthood ban on people of Black African descent, it’s also highly unlikely that this would be symbolically hinted at through something like a badge number. It was a profound change that came as a result of revelation to the prophet Spencer W. Kimball after much prayer and concern.

While it's always exciting to look for patterns or hidden meanings, it's important to remember that revelation comes from God and can often be simple and straightforward, rather than hidden in symbols or codes. It's always best to seek understanding through prayer, study of the scriptures, and listening to the words of our leaders. 😊
It’s clueless about: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PtATSQx3cjI

Edit: Post Number 384 =~ Seven Syllables are today’s word(s) of the Lord. ❗️
Gadianton
God

Re: Fact Checking Nelson's Tithing Story

Post by Gadianton »

Thanks for the deep dive on that one Dr. Moore.

Only the Lord can explain how it happened that a promising medical student ever ended up making significantly more then 15$ a month. Truly he is the Lord God.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:41 pm
In the latest GC, Pres. Nelson told a faith-promoting story about paying tithing. The story goes, he was earning a meager $15/mo as a medical intern when his wife, Dantzel, asked if they were paying tithing on that stipend. He said no, was challenged to do so, and began paying $1.50/month. The act, he says, changed him even though it did not change the church.
Here's what Nelson said...
When I was a young intern, my income was $15 a month. One night, my wife Dantzel asked if I was paying tithing on that meager stipend. I was not. I quickly repented and began paying the additional $1.50 in monthly tithing.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng
It's that word "additional" that stands out to me. The tithing on the internship money was on top of tithing he was already paying. So what other income was Nelson receiving at that point?
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:06 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:41 pm
Here's what Nelson said...
When I was a young intern, my income was $15 a month. One night, my wife Dantzel asked if I was paying tithing on that meager stipend. I was not. I quickly repented and began paying the additional $1.50 in monthly tithing.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng
It's that word "additional" that stands out to me. The tithing on the internship money was on top of tithing he was already paying. So what other income was Nelson receiving at that point?
Nelson's parents gave Dantzel and Russell a thousand dollars and a car to get themselves established in Minneapolis. Dantzel got a job there as a school teacher, making about $135 a month.
Russell M. Nelson wrote: As a graduation present, Mother and Daddy gave us a check for $1,000 which we needed so badly as we were about to embark on the next chapter in our history.

Shortly after my graduation from medical school, Dantzel and I packed all of our earthly belongings that could be transported in a lovely two-door blue Chevrolet that Mother and Daddy had purchased for us. In September 1947, we drove to Minneapolis, Minnesota, where I was to begin postgraduate medical education. I was successful in being awarded an internship at the University of Minnesota Hospitals with the internationally renowned surgeon Dr. Owen H. Wangensteen, who many regard as the outstanding surgical teacher alive today.

Dantzel was the main breadwinner. She became a teacher in a school situated in the south end of the city somewhat adjacent to the airport. Her income wasn’t great, but we were able to live on it. It was somewhere around $135 a month, and to that I contributed another $15 a month, which was my pay as an intern at the University of Minnesota Hospitals.

One evening she asked me if I was paying tithing on my $15 a month. Frankly, I had regarded that as just a token payment designed to keep my teeth clean, hair cut, and shoes polished. But when she confronted me with that question, I realized that she was right and I was wrong, and so our tithing was increased to include a tenth of that $15 every month. I’ve been a full tithepayer ever since, but I often wonder what might have happened if she had not exerted her sweet influence at that moment.
https://archive.org/details/from-heart- ... 1/mode/1up

pp. 66-68
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:18 pm
Nelson's parents gave Dantzel and Russell a thousand dollars and a car to get themselves established in Minneapolis. Dantzel got a job there as a school teacher, making about $135 a month.
Thanks for that information. Given Nelson’s conference anecdote (that he was the person sorting out the tithing) I’m surmising that Dantzel handed her wages over to Nelson and he’s then dealt with all the finances.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:23 am
Thanks for the deep dive on that one Dr. Moore.

Only the Lord can explain how it happened that a promising medical student ever ended up making significantly more then 15$ a month. Truly he is the Lord God.
Goes to show that all have the potential to do good. 😊

His badge number is interesting.❗️Who was the first to notice. :?

Has he or anyone ever commented, about it matching the date when things changed for the better. :?:

. . . * . . . . . . . . ** =~ 3*8** =~ 36866 == Magi Number at GLP, is a similar example, that bore fruit. 8-)

386SX was my fIfth CPU. :geek:
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

386SX was my fIfth CPU
...you shouldn't remember things like this.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

High Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:33 pm
Goes to show that all have the potential to do good. 😊

His badge number is interesting.❗️Who was the first to notice. :?

Has he or anyone ever commented, about it matching the date when things changed for the better. :?:

. . . * . . . . . . . . ** =~ 3*8** =~ 36866 == Magi Number at GLP, is a similar example, that bore fruit. 8-)

386SX was my fIfth CPU. :geek:
Hi High Spy,

What's your opinion of this article?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Tithing Story

Post by High Spy »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:27 am

Hi High Spy,

What's your opinion of this article?
In contrast to an epiphany, an apophany (i.e., an instance of apophenia) does not provide insight into the nature of reality nor its interconnectedness.
Discernment is what separates the two i.e. Astrology vs Mazzaroth.

In regards to the Berisheet video, can anyone shed light about:

When and how Hebrew letters acquired numerical values. :?: