Bishop Interviews with 8-11 Children

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Bishop Interviews with 8-11 Children

Post by Moksha »

How important is establishing early grooming with young victims?

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... _auto=true

Can you imagine the delight in the eyes of the Kirton McConkie lawyers at being able to defend the next wave of priesthood predators protected under the rubric of 'doing the Lord's work'?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Re: Bishop Interviews with 8-11 Children

Post by I Have Questions »

Given the number of cases where minors have been groomed, directly or indirectly, as a result of building up a trusting relationship with an unrelated volunteer adult, one can only conclude the Church is deliberately presenting predators with a safe haven and plenty of opportunity.
Boomer57
Sunbeam

Post by Boomer57 »

The bells of hell are ringing!
' :idea: Give me truth and clarity, not fluff and charity'
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gross. Knock it off, LDS Church.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

What could possibly go wrong? As for me, I choose to have faith in the Church leaders that they are making good, sound decisions directed by God.

I’m sure cynical critics will point out that trust should be earned and not assigned. Or, that in the Church where the questioning of authority is strictly taboo, even off limits, this is guaranteed to have disastrous consequences. Or, that this is just an attempt to brainwash and guilt the children at a younger age to stay in the Church in an attempt to stop the hemorrhaging.

I’m just being sarcastic. This is just another horrible idea from the Church that will lead to increased child sexual abuse, trauma and destroyed lives.

It’s almost like the Church asked Satan what changes he would like to implement. Can someone please throw the Church a lifeline?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

This image was posted by John Dehlin yesterday, but does not include the bottom edge of the page. It appears to be a page from a survey taken in 2019. A full copy of the survey is posted here. https://imgur.com/a/8d4mdnl John should know when the survey happened, as Mormon Stories did an episode in it in July 2019. https://www.mormonstories.org/portfolio ... -children/
Given that the interviews have not been implemented, I suspect some folks came to their senses and realized that such interviews would facilitate grooming and abuse. I suspect Sam Young's efforts helped keep this from happening.

Even in 2019, it was unbelievably tone deaf and short sighted. (Sam was excommunicated that year.) But portraying it as a current threat without showing the bottom of the page (which should contain the copyright information) isn't honest.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
2bizE
Nursery

Post by 2bizE »

First, I find this idea repulsive to begin grooming younger children earlier. This is simply wrong.

Second, this is just another think for bishops to do. They already have so much in their plates. I wonder if they will give bishops a raise or take away some of their current responsibilities.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Honestly, bishops should let parents deal with their minor children, whenever possible.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

If Bishops left the door slightly open, the questions would likely be some what appropriate like open ended questions: “Johnny, what are you going to do after High School?” “Join the Marines.”
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

From the current handbook:
The bishop or an assigned counselor interviews those who are to be ordained deacons or teachers to determine if they are spiritually prepared. The bishop interviews brethren who are to be ordained priests.

Before interviewing a young man for priesthood ordination, the bishop obtains verbal permission from the parents or guardians. Permission is not required from a parent or guardian who has no legal basis for opposing the action.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e_number63

So the Bishop is authorised to interview a minor regardless of a parents' objection.