Mitt Romney said No to an Apostle

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Mitt Romney said No to an Apostle

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:09 pm
Views like yours are to be respected but also recognized as one side of the coin. Are you able to see yourself as compromising with folks that might have a different point of view or are you locked into a hard position in which no compromise is even possible?
What aspects of Sharia law are you willing to compromise on? If someone insists that you not be able to eat pork because they think it is offensive to God, are you ready to live by their beliefs about that?
Can religious doctrines be changed or modified to the extent that core teachings of a religion are compromised?
It is certainly possible and has happened countless times.
If I’m understanding what you’re saying it seems that you may be unwilling to compromise in the short term while awaiting changes that might be more in conformity with your personal preferences or societal ‘doctrines’ and practices.
I am not sure what you mean. I do know that I do not like theology being written into laws that all people are required to obey.
As church members it is incumbent that we ultimately rely on the council and directives from the brethren while at the same time knowing that those directives and council are in some instances and at some times and in some places subject to modification.
If you elect to live that way, that is your choice and your right. I do not choose to live that way, and I don’t want your leaders’ political views forced on the rest of us.
It is true that some folks are not willing or able to live within those parameters. It’s the ‘my way or the highway’ view.

Regards,
MG
As opposed to the Brethren’s way or the highway?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:04 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Views like yours are to be respected but also recognized as one side of the coin. Are you able to see yourself as compromising with folks that might have a different point of view or are you locked into a hard position in which no compromise is even possible?
What aspects of Sharia law are you willing to compromise on? If someone insists that you not be able to eat pork because they think it is offensive to God, are you ready to live by their beliefs about that?
Can religious doctrines be changed or modified to the extent that core teachings of a religion are compromised?
It is certainly possible and has happened countless times.
If I’m understanding what you’re saying it seems that you may be unwilling to compromise in the short term while awaiting changes that might be more in conformity with your personal preferences or societal ‘doctrines’ and practices.
I am not sure what you mean. I do know that I do not like theology being written into laws that all people are required to obey.
As church members it is incumbent that we ultimately rely on the council and directives from the brethren while at the same time knowing that those directives and council are in some instances and at some times and in some places subject to modification.
If you elect to live that way, that is your choice and your right. I do not choose to live that way, and I don’t want your leaders’ political views forced on the rest of us.
It is true that some folks are not willing or able to live within those parameters. It’s the ‘my way or the highway’ view.

Regards,
MG
As opposed to the Brethren’s way or the highway?
As is often the case we come to an impasse created by differing views concerning Christ. Is he or isn’t he who Christians proclaim him to be. I’ve read through your Jesus is a Roman God thread and it appears you have questions concerning Jesus’s divinity. As such, we are going to have…naturally…conflicting views as to whether a divine Christ would deign to speak at times to the Brethren.

We’re on a different wavelength.

And we both believe what we believe or don’t believe for reasons that appear reasonable to us.

No rocket science there.

Regards,
MG
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:30 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:26 pm

We know that, thanks for the irrelevant point. It is not at all that they are expected to be perfect, it is their deliberate choice of lying and breaking the law when they know better, and doing so habitually for decades and then lying about it, and expecting everyone to continue believing they are holy that is the problem.
It is relevant as I explained in the full context of my post.

Regards,
MG
No, it's not. The issue is not about asking them to be perfect and it never has been that. That is a rabbit trail we don't have to follow. It is the one you must try to get us down into however, as our argument makes hash of your view of prophets and their immoral choices they habitually make throughout the decades.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:56 am
As is often the case we come to an impasse created by differing views concerning Christ. Is he or isn’t he who Christians proclaim him to be...
You are completely missing the point. It is irrelevant what type of deity YOU or anyone else believes in, or does not believe in.

The point is, it is not acceptable to force those who don't believe in your type of deity to live by what you say are your deity's rules.
...No rocket science there...
One would think. :roll:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:56 am
As is often the case we come to an impasse created by differing views concerning Christ. Is he or isn’t he who Christians proclaim him to be. I’ve read through your Jesus is a Roman God thread and it appears you have questions concerning Jesus’s divinity. As such, we are going to have…naturally…conflicting views as to whether a divine Christ would deign to speak at times to the Brethren.

We’re on a different wavelength.

And we both believe what we believe or don’t believe for reasons that appear reasonable to us.

No rocket science there.

Regards,
MG
Sure. But a core issue for me is whether or not the religious views of one group should be forced on another by law. My answer is no. Another is whether I would agree to obey flawed people who claim to speak for God. Again, my answer is no. So, you are right to say we are on a different wavelength.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

MG, this is the core problem:
MG 2.0 wrote:
This is arguing for authoritarianism. Individual ethical judgement is abrogated to a few whose judgement is unquestionable. Ethical judgement is in fact reduced to how one ultimately gets themselves in line with the authority.

I've argued before and long maintain that Mormonism makes its members incredibly bad at moral reasoning because it vilifies engaging in it. Worse yet, it asserts superior moral reasoning is occuring at the source so the poor ethical judgement that follows is smuggly assured it holds the moral high ground while doing nothing of the sort.

Legislating that bad moral judgement? History is rife with examples of why that is dangerous.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

The first amendment seems to have resolved the issue in favor of those who oppose theocracy, MG. It's sound advice that even the most holy brethren should follow.

Here it is:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I emphasized the important parts for you.

I get how you would think that the church is destined to rule the world. The leaders have been drunken with this concept for some time and spew it out over the pulpit from time to time. However, sadly, it's a false path that you seem unwilling to leave. I guess the outside world will once again have to school the tiny sect.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:47 pm
The first amendment seems to have resolved the issue in favor of those who oppose theocracy, MG. It's sound advice that even the most holy brethren should follow.

Here it is:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I get how you would think that the church is destined to rule the world. The leaders have been drunken with this concept for some time and spew it out over the pulpit from time to time. However, sadly, it's a false path that you seem unwilling to leave. I guess the outside world will once again have to school the tiny sect.
I suspect folks, perhaps MG even, reject this argument based on the belief their morality comes from the ultimate source of GOOD tm, and that whatever weaknesses the brotheren may exhibit is acceptable because in the end they speak for God. They don't understand the deflection this represents and why it's not a defense.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr Exiled wrote:

Here it is:

Thanks for that. I am a whole hearted supporter of the First Amendment and separation of church and state.
Dr Exiled wrote:
I get how you would think that the church is destined to rule the world.
Well, no you don’t. That’s not what I believe.
Dr Exiled wrote:
The leaders have been drunken with this concept for some time and spew it out over the pulpit from time to time.
I think about the closest you can come to that in the last one hundred years are references to Christ’s coming.
Dr Exiled wrote:
However, sadly, it's a false path that you seem unwilling to leave.
Sadly, for you, that is a path I’ve never been on.
Dr Exiled wrote:
I guess the outside world will once again have to school the tiny sect.
Your post was irrelevant to reality.

Regards,
MG
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:58 am

The point is, it is not acceptable to force those who don't believe in your type of deity to live by what you say are your deity's rules.
Why are you making a point that many of us don’t take issue with? Who is your audience?

Regards,
MG