RFM on the LDS Church protecting child abusers

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dwight
Teacher

Re: RFM on the LDS Church protecting child abusers

Post by Dwight »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:50 pm
The guy was a physician. Surely he must have known the law?
He was, and there have been discussions on exmo Reddit and other places where it seems mandatory reporters due to their profession may be excluded from certain callings due to the conflict.
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:55 am
That is my question. Is this a doctrinal position within the field of law? It seems that in a ministerial/parishioner/confession relationship the law might dictate that the confession is a possession and/or owned by the parishioner. It belongs to them and they are sharing it with a clergy member knowing that they ‘own’ that privy information and it can’t go anywhere else beyond that relationship.

I’m not saying that I’m on board with that in all situations, but it seems as though the confessor apparently has some rights that can’t be trampled on under the law.
I could take the LDS position on this much more seriously except for the dozens of times I personally have known that the bishop's office leaks like a sieve. He slips when talking with his wife, he tells his counselors, PEC, ward council (ugh in some wards I served on my mission they had us go to ward council and there were a couple of times I was wondering what value other than gossip it served to hear things said that clearly came from confession).
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Although the church excommunicated Adams, its decision to withhold his abusive behavior from civil authorities allowed him to continue abusing his daughter for seven years, during which he began abusing a second daughter, starting when she was just 6 weeks old.
https://apnews.com/article/Mormon-sex-a ... f222c35e7e

How do you think Jesus will view those who knowingly witheld the information and so facilitated his ongoing abuse of his daughter, and the start of abuse for his younger daughter?

What role did the Holy Ghost play in the Bishop’s decision making? Did he confirm that not reporting was what Jesus wanted them to do? Did those Church Leaders and Lawyers experience a burning in the bosom confirming their course of action? Did they pray about it? How were those prayers answered?

What did the Bishop, the Stake President, the High Council, the Church Lawyers do to stop the abuse of a child that they all knew for sure was happening?
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:55 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:25 am
… a confession isn’t property that is capable of being owned.
That is my question. Is this a doctrinal position within the field of law? It seems that in a ministerial/parishioner/confession relationship the law might dictate that the confession is a possession and/or owned by the parishioner. It belongs to them and they are sharing it with a clergy member knowing that they ‘own’ that privy information and it can’t go anywhere else beyond that relationship.

I’m not saying that I’m on board with that in all situations, but it seems as though the confessor apparently has some rights that can’t be trampled on under the law.

But who am I to say…

Regards,
MG
Indeed. Who are you to say? Bafflegab is directed at the rubes.

Don't bother asking me questions about legal stuff when you plan to ignore the answer.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
yellowstone123
Bishop

Post by yellowstone123 »

It’s up to the legislature and governor to close the loop hole in Arizona so no call is made to Salt Lake City. The Bishop hears the confession and calls 911.
“One of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.