RFM on the LDS Church protecting child abusers

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

RFM on the LDS Church protecting child abusers

Post by Kishkumen »

https://youtu.be/WLP7ifEJFV0?si=KycFltBWHhiTQW1Z

This is something you really have to watch. When I first heard this story, it rocked me to the core. I thought of Sam Young, that good man who put his membership on the line and lost it to try to get the LDS Church to put the safety of kids first.

In my opinion, the LDS Church really does not put kids first, or families.

The LDS Church puts the LDS Church first. First in making and amassing money for itself. First in managing its vast financial empire and endless tracts of real estate. First in cutting costs to have even more money. First in trimming as much overhead, including employees, so that they save some money here and there to invest in Ensign Peak or more real estate. First in making sure that it is not held liable for contributing to the suffering of innocent children whom it could have saved.

There is nothing particularly Christian about that. At all.

The reason I do not go to church has nothing to do with not believing in the Book of Mormon or that Joseph Smith was a prophet. It has nothing to do with disbelieving that the priesthood was restored. The reason I do not go to church is that I can't square what the LDS Church does with what it claims to be.

RFM confronts us with one deeply horrific example of the kind of thing that keeps me out of the pews. I think we all need deal breakers. We all need to realize that, while the hand of Deity is active in the world, it is certainly possible for those who claim to act in Deity's name to take some catastrophically wrong turns on the highway to the heaven. Sometimes they can even turn around and go in the opposite direction.

By their fruits ye shall know them. By their billions in investments ye shall know them. By the poor who are denied financial assistance ye shall know them. By the kids who are told that their identity is a sin and are driven to despair and suicide ye shall know them. By the millions spent in cash and thousands of hours of member effort to deny others their civil rights in our republic ye shall know them. By the crackpot doomsday conspiracy theorists who kill their family members ye shall know them. By the children who suffer years of sexual abuse of the most heinous kind while church-hired lawyers stand by and counsel against reporting the perpetrators ye shall know them.

There is also a long list of good fruits that we know them by. But, here's the thing: they work really hard to make sure we don't associate all their fruits with them. Without RFM and the many other fine people talking about these things in public, those who are considering joining the LDS Church or staying therein would not know that there are bad fruits. They might even be taught that the bad fruits aren't really bad or aren't really fruits but just legal technicalities or the price of business. They might assume there is nothing to be concerned about, that all is well in Zion. Yea, Zion prospereth in stocks and real estate and righteousness.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Re: RFM on the LDS Church protecting child abusers

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here's the AP article that RFM refers to in the podcast. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 522237007/

[ETA: edited to include correct link]
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Boomer57
Sunbeam

Post by Boomer57 »

Without a doubt one of the most heinous miscarriages of justice I have seen. And the Church is 'pleased' - PLEASED with the result. I can't even....
' :idea: Give me truth and clarity, not fluff and charity'
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:38 pm
Here's the AP article that RFM refers to in the podcast. https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/11 ... withdrawal
I think the link is to another article, RI.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:13 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:38 pm
Here's the AP article that RFM refers to in the podcast. https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/11 ... withdrawal
I think the link is to another article, RI.
Thanks, Reverend. I've fixed it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Fifth Columnist
Nursery

Post by Fifth Columnist »

It would be nice if RFM's podcast feed was updated soon after his YouTube content. I've noticed some things he posts on YouTube haven't appeared at all in the podcast feed (i.e., the discussion of the second bar complaint). As a podcast listener, I'm feeling like a second class citizen.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Fifth Columnist wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:37 pm
It would be nice if RFM's podcast feed was updated soon after his YouTube content. I've noticed some things he posts on YouTube haven't appeared at all in the podcast feed (i.e., the discussion of the second bar complaint). As a podcast listener, I'm feeling like a second class citizen.
Agree. I actually had to message Bill and ask him to post it. Probably pedantic since it is free.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Fifth Columnist wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:37 pm
Yeah, I confess that I went looking for this in my iOS podcast feed, and it was not there.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Here is the timeline of events according to the LDS Church:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... abuse-case

and an article in the Deseret News:

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/8/17 ... Mormon-lds

The information outlined may have contributed to the Arizona court dismissing the case.

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:24 pm
Here is the timeline of events according to the LDS Church:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... abuse-case

and an article in the Deseret News:

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2022/8/17 ... Mormon-lds

The information outlined may have contributed to the Arizona court dismissing the case.

Regards,
MG
The question is not why the Arizona court did what it did. The question is why Kirton-McConkie allegedly told bishops not to report cases of heinous child abuse when it was in the bishops’ rights to do so. Spare the Church and destroy the child. I don’t remember that proverb, but it would seem it is in some LDS editions.