Church Launches Global Initiative

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Re: Church Launches Global Initiative

Post by MG 2.0 »

I Have Questions wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:26 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:04 am
The LDS Church has launched a global health and nutrition initiative to improve the health and development of children under five and their mothers:

https://www.heraldextra.com/faith-2/202 ... nitiative/

The church has grown in its ability to carry out the mandate of the Savior to succor the little children.

We see here an advantage to organized religion.

Regards,
MG
I can’t see what the Church, specifically, has launched. I can see references to past projects, I can see ambiguous references to desired outcomes, I see references to past giving of some money to other organisations good work, I see mentions of members maybe getting involved in…something. But what? What projects, specifically have just been launched globally MG?

It’s almost as if the Church has hastily cobbled together a collection of past good news stories and labelled them a “global initiative” to try and offset the bad pr being generated by the Arizona case highlighting the Church’s systemic propensity for protecting the perpetrators of child abuse at the expense of the child victims.

For reference, here is the link to the Church announcement…
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ef-society
The program will support families through the Church’s existing ecclesiastical networks while also collaborating with external organizations that share similar goals.
MG, what (specifically) will you start doing as a result of this global launch of…something?
Continue our donations to the church that are then pooled together with the contributions of other members to provide the needed resources for the church’s humanitarian efforts.

Regards,
MG
Boomer57
Sunbeam

Post by Boomer57 »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:26 pm
Continue our donations to the church that are then pooled together with the contributions of other members to provide the needed resources for the church’s humanitarian efforts.

Regards,
MG
I will continue NOT to give any donations to the Church, who I cannot trust to actually direct the money to the intended cause (see disclaimer on the COJCOLDS donation slip) and may instead buy more Amazon stock with my donation. Instead, I will continue to give monies to the local food bank where I live, who I KNOW will actually use the money (or goods, sometimes I donate food) for the appropriate purpose in feeding the poor. And the Church PR dweebs can go straight to hell!

[Corrected quote tags — RI]
' :idea: Give me truth and clarity, not fluff and charity'
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:27 pm
Philo wrote:It's too bad all their covering up of sex abused children mars this supposed contribution.....
Seems to me this is part of the cover-up. Rather than fix their own problem, throw a few bucks as a diversion at somebody else's problem.
Always the pessimists/conspiracy theorists.

Regards,
MG
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:24 am
Gadianton wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:27 pm
Seems to me this is part of the cover-up. Rather than fix their own problem, throw a few bucks as a diversion at somebody else's problem.

Regards,
MG
With evidence. Good Lord the EVIDENCE gives me my skepticism.....
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:29 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:24 am

Regards,
MG
With evidence. Good Lord the EVIDENCE gives me my skepticism...
I’m going to go with the real world facts that this Relief Society Initiative will end up doing good in many parts of the world. And doing good is what it’s all about in my book.

Glass half full rather than half empty.

Regards,
MG
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:26 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:26 am
MG, what (specifically) will you start doing as a result of this global launch of…something?

Regards,
MG
So nothing additional, nothing incremental. Just the easy option, hand over some money and hope someone else will do something with it. There’s nothing within this “global initiative” that you’re going to physically get involved in, and yet you start a thread to laud it. Do you even know the specific details of what this new global initiative consists of? If you do, post some examples.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:04 am
I’m going to go with the real world facts that this Relief Society Initiative will end up doing good in many parts of the world. And doing good is what it’s all about in my book.

Regards,
MG
Then tell us the details of what this new global Relief Society initiative’s specific actions are…
Last edited by I Have Questions on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:04 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:29 am

With evidence. Good Lord the EVIDENCE gives me my skepticism...

Regards,
MG
You're got me puzzled here. How can what you think will happen in the future be a "real world fact?"
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.