Church Launches Global Initiative

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MG 2.0
God

Church Launches Global Initiative

Post by MG 2.0 »

The LDS Church has launched a global health and nutrition initiative to improve the health and development of children under five and their mothers:

https://www.heraldextra.com/faith-2/202 ... nitiative/

The church has grown in its ability to carry out the mandate of the Savior to succor the little children.

We see here an advantage to organized religion.

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Re: Church Launches Global Initiative

Post by Shulem »

That's all nice and dandy. So what.

It would be nice if the Church would stop harassing young men about whether they masturbate or not.

When those children under 5 reach the age of accountability, I have to think the Church will begin to harass them and guilt them about whether they masturbate or not.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:04 am
The LDS Church has launched a global health and nutrition initiative to improve the health and development of children under five and their mothers:

The church has grown in its ability to carry out the mandate of the Savior to succor the little children.

Regards,
MG
Exactly what is the church doing in this initiative that hasn’t been done by secular organizations for decades?

I applaud anything a religious organization does to improve the lives of the poor. I do not applaud the smug superiority communicated by your last sentence.

Note, the largest dollar amount mentioned in the article was a donation to an arm of the United Nations, which, last time I looked, was not “organized religion.” In fact, much of this new unitive consists of coordinating with existing organizations to something — that part’s a little loosey goosey.

And there’s a program relief society members can voluntarily participate in. And some nutritional guidelines on a website.

Seriously, are poor children suffering from a lack of nutrition guidelines? Or are they suffering from a lack of food and a secure place to live? Other than donating more money, which I think is exactly what the obscenely rich COJCOLDS should be doing, is there anything in this program that does anything that secular governments, ngo’s and other organizations haven’t been doing for decades?

So, good on the church for giving money and whateverthehell else this program does to help poor. Bad on you for using your church’s good works to take a cheap shot at secular organizations who have been doing the same thing for decades.

Better late than never is still late.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Good Lord!! The Church is just now getting around to doing this? After 200 years, they are just NOW doing something like this?

Even Scientology has been doing something similar for decades. Even the Church of Satan (yes, the Church of Satan) has been doing something like this with their after school lunch programs in San Francisco.

How embarrassing for the Church.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:31 am
MG 2.0 wrote:

Regards,
MG
Exactly what is the church doing in this initiative that hasn’t been done by secular organizations for decades?

I applaud anything a religious organization does to improve the lives of the poor. I do not applaud the smug superiority communicated by your last sentence.
Whoa! Hold your horses there partner. I’m simply saying that when organized religion grows large enough to take care of its own and can reach out into the world and help others…that’s a GOOD thing.

Period.

I’m in no way dissing secular organizations that do the same.

It is the Relief Society that is spearheading this effort. They finally have the means and the networks to move forward with this initiative on a grander scale than they heretofore have been able to do.

We should celebrate that! Not downplay it. Churches can do a LOT of good in the world. It should be recognized and appreciated simply for what it is.

Regards,
MG
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG 2.0 wrote:

Regards,
MG
It's too bad all their covering up of sex abused children mars this supposed contribution..... I wonder if the law is forcing them to also be charitable like this... :roll:
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:15 am
MG 2.0 wrote:

Regards,
MG
It's too bad all their covering up of sex abused children mars this supposed contribution..... I wonder if the law is forcing them to also be charitable like this... :roll:
Sheesh…

Regards,
MG
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:10 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:31 am

Whoa! Hold your horses there partner. I’m simply saying that when organized religion grows large enough to take care of its own and can reach out into the world and help others…that’s a GOOD thing.

Period.

I’m in no way dissing secular organizations that do the same.

It is the Relief Society that is spearheading this effort. They finally have the means and the networks to move forward with this initiative on a grander scale than they heretofore have been able to do.

We should celebrate that! Not downplay it. Churches can do a LOT of good in the world. It should be recognized and appreciated simply for what it is.

Regards,
MG
We can all read what you said, MG 2.0. I specifically criticized your last sentence:
MG 2.0 wrote: We see here an advantage to organized religion.
Late to the party Is not evidence of an advantage to anything.

If this program represents a shift toward using the church’s vast wealth for humanitarian purposes, I have nothing but praise. For the smug superiority of your last sentence, I have none.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

The op article directs one to this source:

"Child Nutrition Additional Resources"
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/lif ... s?lang=eng

And here is what they offer as resources:
What child nutrition programs and services can help?

In addition to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint’s child nutrition efforts, there are many global organizations and local services that share the same goal of helping children to reach their full potential through healthy nutrition.

You can find help through global nutrition-focused organizations, or you can find local immediate help by visiting clinical services in your area.

In addition to these nutrition-focused organizations, there are many local child nutrition programs such as school nutrition programs and human services whose goal is to help children to meet their nutritional needs. Talk to your Church leaders or local clinic to see if there is a child nutrition program available in your area.

What child nutrition resources can I use for nutritional information?

Healthy eating guidelines usually differ from country to country depending on what food is available and what guidelines the country sets.

To find your country’s children’s health guidelines, visit a local clinic to see what child nutrition resources they have for your area. You can also conduct a search online for your country’s child food-based dietary guidelines. You can also find many countries’ dietary guidelines in this list provided by the FAO.

For examples of general healthy eating guidelines and nutritional information, read resources from trusted health organizations like the World Health Organization and Mayo Clinic.

I bolded in blue the least helpful advice, but none of it is anything more than what you would get with a simple request to an A.I.. :roll:
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:37 am
If this program represents a shift toward using the church’s vast wealth for humanitarian purposes, I have nothing but praise.
That’s nice of you to say that.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:37 am
For the smug superiority of your last sentence, I have none.
No smug superiority. Simple judgement without any evidence on your part. Fits some kind of narrative I suspect.

Regards,
MG