Lester Bush has passed

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dwight
Deacon

Lester Bush has passed

Post by Dwight »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_E._Bush_Jr.

I am not a scholar, I am not a historian, but I can appreciate the work they do. Lester Bush will always have a place in my heart for his contributions to Mormon history.

I can't find a definitive source, but it seems to be floating around confidently with people who would know. Someone has updated wikipedia, but not with a source.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Lester Bush has passed

Post by Kishkumen »

Yep! Sad news. He passed away. He was one of the more important figures in Mormon Studies. A generation is passing on before our eyes.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Definitely saddening. If it wasn't for the work of people like Bush, I would probably not have converted to Mormonism.
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

tagriffy wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:00 am
Definitely saddening. If it wasn't for the work of people like Bush, I would probably not have converted to Mormonism.
Tim, so that I understand: Bush’s explanation for the Church’s racism opened room for you to convert? Maybe you could say more.
mcjathan
Nursery

Post by mcjathan »

tagriffy wrote:
Lester's seminal paper "Mormonism’s Negro Doctrine: a historical Overview," was my first foray into reading that would ultimately lead me out of Mormonism. It's ironic the two different trajectories you and I share over the same work.
Boomer57
Sunbeam

Post by Boomer57 »

:( :( :(
' :idea: Give me truth and clarity, not fluff and charity'
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Morley wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:32 am
tagriffy wrote:
Tim, so that I understand: Bush’s explanation for the Church’s racism opened room for you to convert? Maybe you could say more.
Actually I read Bush's explanation after joining the Church. It helped deepen my thoughts by putting it into persepctive.
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

tagriffy wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:55 am
Morley wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:32 am
Actually I read Bush's explanation after joining the Church. It helped deepen my thoughts by putting it into persepctive.
Thank you.