DCP’s never ending list of meeting famous people

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

DCP’s never ending list of meeting famous people

Post by drumdude »

It’s a testament to the power of the Holy Spirit that he has been in the right place at the right time so often. When a famous person dies, you can rest assured Daniel has a story about them. And with Kissinger, it’s a doozy.
“DCP” wrote: When I arrived at the office, there was one person ahead of me who had apparently also been on that flight and who was there, not looking very happy, to report that his bags hadn’t arrived. It was none other than Henry Kissinger.
Reminds me of the time Mother Teresa was in front of me at Starbucks. They also misspelled her name!
toon
CTR B

Re: DCP’s never ending list of meeting famous people

Post by toon »

I once ran into Thomas Monson in the temple. My wife and I were waiting for the elevator. The doors opened, and he was in car with I think two others, but it was full. So we waited. I believe he smiled.

Said hello once to Dominique Wilkins while waiting at the baggage claim in the SLC airport. He ignored me. In fairness, I would have ignored me too.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Note my sig line. Envy doth diminish the man, doest it not?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:17 pm
It’s a testament to the power of the Holy Spirit that he has been in the right place at the right time so often. When a famous person dies, you can rest assured Daniel has a story about them. And with Kissinger, it’s a doozy.

“DCP” wrote: When I arrived at the office, there was one person ahead of me who had apparently also been on that flight and who was there, not looking very happy, to report that his bags hadn’t arrived. It was none other than Henry Kissinger.
Reminds me of the time Mother Teresa was in front of me at Starbucks. They also misspelled her name!
The storyteller provides details...
Many years ago, my wife and I flew from New York City to Milan, Italy. Unfortunately, though, our bags did not. So I had to go downstairs at the Milan Malpensa Airport in order to file a lost-luggage report. When I arrived at the office, there was one person ahead of me who had apparently also been on that flight and who was there, not looking very happy, to report that his bags hadn’t arrived. It was none other than Henry Kissinger.
[Bolding added]
Does anyone else wonder whether a renowned former secretary of state would really be the one to file his own lost luggage report? All by himself? Wihout his security detail? REALLY?
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

I remember fly fishing on the upper Minam and ran into Bob Dylan. He squinted at me and asked how was fishing. I had caught a few. He wondered if a Caddis was working. I said I thought small grey fly was better in August and woke up.

Then there was the time fly fishing east Eagle creek, northeast Oregon and placed my fly into a likely looking float in the small stream and found myself looking at Clint Eastwood doing the unlikely act of singing a song. I then realized it was a scene in a movie returned to my mind. Paint your wagon was filmed in that very area some years earlier and I was fishing the spot where the scene was filmed.

I am not remembering any closer encounters with the famous.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I went to one of Kelly Osbourne's birthday parties. The table/booth I was in was next to Paris Hilton, and about 5 little people she had as an entourage.

Would definitely recommend over running into Kissinger.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:00 pm
Many years ago, my wife and I flew from New York City to Milan, Italy. Unfortunately, though, our bags did not. So I had to go downstairs at the Milan Malpensa Airport in order to file a lost-luggage report. When I arrived at the office, there was one person ahead of me who had apparently also been on that flight and who was there, not looking very happy, to report that his bags hadn’t arrived. It was none other than Henry Kissinger.
[Bolding added]
Does anyone else wonder whether a renowned former secretary of state would really be the one to file his own lost luggage report? All by himself? Wihout his security detail? REALLY?
It strains credulity, but then Daniel is a master at weaving stories for the credulous.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:00 pm
It strains credulity, but then Daniel is a master at weaving stories for the credulous.
Just like 99% of DCP's stories, this too never happened.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:04 am
drumdude wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:58 pm
If only he had kept it more realistic, like the time he ran into Donny Osmond at the CougarEat.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

toon wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:08 am
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:04 am
If only he had kept it more realistic, like the time he ran into Donny Osmond at the CougarEat.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014