DCP’s never ending list of meeting famous people

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: DCP’s never ending list of meeting famous people

Post by Gadianton »

So he met Henry Kissinger and failed to present him with a Book of Mormon?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:26 am
Every member a missionary, except DCP.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:26 am
Of course. DCP knows how embarrassing Mormonism is. In the presence of famous people, the Holy Ghost takes a leave of absence and DCP puts his faith in his back pocket.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I have had some very minor brushes with B-list celebrities, and I hardly get out much. Maybe you have to be in the right circumstances to meet the big celebs. Having led a quiet life, I have not met many bigwigs outside of my academic discipline. I shook hands with President Monson and Boyd K. Packer. Faust and Monson waved at me in the Old Church Office Building. Once David Byrne stood in front of me at a concert, and that was my closest encounter with someone conventionally famous in a big way. Of course, I did not meet him. I did meet Elvis Costello at a Tower Records because he performed there and was signing CDs, but that is only because I had my CD signed. I would place Elvis Costello a couple rungs below Byrne on the celebrity ladder.

It is fun and interesting to bump into famous people. I usually don't go out of my way to bother them if they are out and about.

I will call this my lame claim to fame post.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Post by Morley »

Some twenty years ago, as a presenter at The Commonwealth Conference for Education in Umeå, I shook hands with the King of Sweden, Gustavus Adolphus the-something-or-other. Come to think of it, I also forgot to tell him about The Book of Mormon. We dined on roasted reindeer with a lingonberry sauce and sampled a half dozen different kinds of pickled herring.

Posted from Pocatello, Idaho.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Morley wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:28 pm
Some twenty years ago, as a presenter at The Commonwealth Conference for Education in Umeå, I shook hands with the King of Sweden, Gustavus Adolphus the-something-or-other. Come to think of it, I also forgot to tell him about The Book of Mormon. We dined on roasted reindeer with a lingonberry sauce and sampled a half dozen different kinds of pickled herring.

Posted from Pocatello, Idaho.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that is how it's done!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

DCP has met me.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:47 pm
DCP has met me.
I am sure the honor was all his.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I ran directly into Karl Malone in a bookstore years ago. I mean literally. I was coming around one of the book aisles and making my end around ran right into this huge dude and I thought I was looking at his belly button! I looked up and up and UP and Karl was standing there with a big smile on his face. I apologized and then said I LOVED watching him play basketball. He said "Thanks" and we went on our ways.

I also was standing in line at an ice cream shop called "Stone Cold" in Idaho Falls years ago and there was this guy who was about my height in front of me but he had a magnificent broad back, and I was wondering wow how many years did this dude work out to get such a terrific back, and he turned around looking for someone and it was the Incredible Hulk, Lou Ferrigno! So I tapped him and said hey man you have great lats! He turned and shook my hand and said arms too or something like that, and I flexed my biceps for him he laughed and flexed his. GAWD what a sight! Good times! Right there in public having a pose off with Lou Ferrigno! And I almost beat him. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

he turned around looking for someone and it was the Incredible Hulk, Lou Ferrigno! So I tapped him and said hey man you have great lats!
Good thing you didn't give him a Book of Mormon. He would have taken one look at the pictures and known it was unrealistic.