Atlanta, Georgia 2033: The Most Embarrassing Time Capsule Opening Of All Time

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Atlanta, Georgia 2033: The Most Embarrassing Time Capsule Opening Of All Time

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Time capsule openings can be a fun, historic and educational experience. Who can forget the recent opening of the Salt Lake Temple's time capsule? There were many historical writings, books, coins and many other treasures. Well, buckle up because 2033 is going to be known as the year of the most epic time capsule opening, ever.

In 1983, for the Atlanta temple opening, the Church put together a time capsule to be opened in 50 years, which would be in 2033. Included in the time capsule was a letter (approved by the Church) by General Authority, Vaughn J. Featherstone.

The letter reads in part:
To my beloved fellow saints in the twenty-first century,

God bless you. We love you. We are grateful to you for your great faith in Christ. Many of you have probably lived through the darkest period in the history of the world. Those of you who read this letter have witnessed the second coming of Christ, the day for which we have long awaited. What a glorious experience to live in the day when our Lord, our Redeemer, the very Son of God is reigning personally upon the earth.

We can imagine what General Conference must be like, to have the Savior address the people. My thoughts entertain such questions as, will there still be wards and stakes? Will the Lord hold area conferences and solemn assemblies? Have those of you reading this letter been visited by Him? My heart and soul seem nigh to be consumed at the very thought. In 3rd Nephi Chapter 17 the people looked “steadfastly upon him as if they would ask him to tarry a little longer with them.” Oh what a blessed generation you are and must be.
https://searchingfortherealtruth.blogsp ... -time.html

One can only imagine the awkward glances, the embarrassing hand wringing and utter shock as the above letter is read to the large crowd of faithful LDS. I can tell you this, there is no earthly barrier that can possibly keep me from attending that glorious event in 2033.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
msnobody
Prophet

Re: Atlanta, Georgia 2033: The Most Embarrassing Time Capsule Opening Of All Time

Post by msnobody »

I imagine it will be swept under the rug. Let’s make it a meetup.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Atlanta, Georgia 2033: The Most Embarrassing Time Capsule Opening Of All Time

Post by Philo Sofee »

How do we know that is his actual letter in that time capsule?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:08 am
How do we know that is his actual letter in that time capsule?
It's legit. Mopologists are already in damage control mode explaining that this letter doesn't reflect the official Church doctrine and only reflects the personal opinions of Elder Featherstone.

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... le-letter/

https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/blo ... ple-letter

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... etter.html
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

This is one of those times I wish a GA could have lived a few more years so he could come face-to-face with his own stupidity, and then died knowing what a complete fool he was.

As it stands, I'm sure he did the math and hedged on being dead so as to be unaccountable or affected in anyway in the case that he was wrong.