Jeffrey Holland Was Right After All: The Church Gets Hundreds Of New Wards And Stakes

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Jeffrey Holland Was Right After All: The Church Gets Hundreds Of New Wards And Stakes

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Jeffrey R. Holland wrote:We’re in the midst of incredible growth. Staggering Growth in the Church. It’s the single biggest problem we have. Its the best problem we could have, but the biggest. We are reeling under the implications of the growth we have in this church… A week ago Thursday we created 15 stakes. And we are doing that, mas o menos, every week… more or less. It might not be 15… the week before it was 12. Sometimes it’s 8 or whatever and it will be a little uneven. But the point is, we’re talking double digits stakes every week, every week of our lives
A letter from the First Presidency went out yesterday changing the requirements for Wards and Stakes. With these new changes the Church instantly gains hundreds of new Wards and Stakes

Summary:
Old requirement in the US for total members in a Stake: 3,000
New: 2,000
Participating adults: 500

Old requirement for total members in a Ward: 300.
New: 250
Participating adults: 100

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mormon/comment ... ?rdt=35507
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Shulem
God

Re: Jeffrey Holland Was Right After All: The Church Gets Hundreds Of New Wards And Stakes

Post by Shulem »

THEN
D&C 133:9 wrote:And behold, and lo, this shall be their cry, and the voice of the Lord unto all people: Go ye forth unto the land of Zion, that the borders of my people may be enlarged, and that her stakes may be strengthened, and that Zion may go forth unto the regions round about.

NOW

And behold, and lo, this shall be their cry :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: , and the voice of the Lord unto all people: Go ye forth unto the land of Zion, that the borders of my people may be DECREASED, and that her stakes may be WEAKENED, and that Zion may NOT go forth unto the regions round about.

Hey, DCP, Merry Christmas! Hey, Dan, do ya still believe in the Book of Abraham?

:lol:
drumdude
God

Re: Jeffrey Holland Was Right After All: The Church Gets Hundreds Of New Wards And Stakes

Post by drumdude »

“Every member a missionary a ward.”
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

This seems like an ill thought out move. Yes, it will enable to Church at next April’s General Conference to proclaim “growth” where no growth actually exists. But wards and stakes are already at breaking point in terms of having available people to serve in leadership and teaching roles. Making wards and stakes smaller, and thereby increasing the number of these local leadership positions, is only going to exacerbate the problem.

I don’t understand why this decision has been taken.

Will this apply going forward, or will there now be a retrospective reorganisation of all wards and stakes? Is it really as cheap as simply an effort to make the numbers sound good?
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

Attending the LDS church in Idaho is different than California. Sort of. When they redo the ward boundaries, a person finds themselves passing an LDS chapel that is closer to your house and still host meetings and driving to a new modern one which is further away.

With the description of what the OP wrote, is this an example of moving the goal post?
“one of the important things for anybody in power is to distinguish between what you have the right to do and what is right to do." Potter Stewart, associate justice of the Supreme Court - 1958 to 1981.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

More smaller units means that more people get to hold prestigious and/or demanding callings. That might just break people, but it might be the goal to retain more active people by giving them recognition and responsibility.

It might not be a stupid strategy. You’re not likely to make a bishop out of a waverer, but you might make a dull stalwart into a keener, and hope to pull a whole pyramid of friends and family up with him.

So if from two wards with 300 active people you create three wards, and thus a whole third set of ward callings, you might hope to galvanize enough people to make it worthwhile.

Being a high-demand religion is a two-edged sword. You may drive people away from exhaustion but you can pull people in with commitment. It wouldn’t surprise me for the LDS church to double down on this bet.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Reducing the minimum size of stakes means a far lower threshold in emerging countries. As a result, not only will more converts see stakes established (in itself sign of growth), but many more will be called to stake callings, high councils, bishops promoted to stake presidents. All the work and change creates a feeling of upward momentum, something the church wants to manufacture in whatever ways it can.

It may also be the case that wonks in church hq noticed logistical challenges with larger stakes in emerging regions, where travel is not as cheap or accessible. By making new stakes with fewer members, the travel burden on stake leaders is attenuated to more sustainable levels.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I think this is a great idea. They are on the right track here. Smaller units would be better for logistical reasons. I would almost call this inspired.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
mcjathan
Nursery

Post by mcjathan »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:04 am
“Every member a missionary a ward.”
:lol: :lol: :lol: