The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2023

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2023

Post by malkie »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:07 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:53 am
Great questions, Tom. Holland evidently (later) found it necessary to shut down FARMS’s hit piece on John Dehlin. It seems telling that he was quiet on this issue: the anonymous apostate was less of a danger to faith than FARMS.
Recently DCP declared the following…
But I have literally no idea what he’s talking about. I can think of no such case. Even after searching through all of the dim recesses of my mind, I can’t think of any instance in which I’ve ever sought to have anybody fired. Moreover, I can’t even imagine myself doing such a thing. What on earth does he have in mind?
A BYU professor who lost their temple recommend would also lose their job.
Can he imagine himself any of his buddies musing about whether the boss of a member of this board would be interested in the fact that said board member was posting here? Didn't he one of them do just that a few years ago? "Nice job you have there - it would be a pity if anything bad happened to it."
---
Edited so that I'm not implying that DCP did this, as the act(s) occurred, but were not his acts.
Last edited by malkie on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Kishkumen wrote:The Anglophile part I can understand, but let’s be some what realistic. Those would be some wild fantasies of his. Hillsdale of the Wasatch could be a possibility. Oxbridge? No way.
I may have to disagree with you on this one, Reverend. Perhaps you weren't aware that at least two Mopologist books in recent years have been published by Oxford press. Also, Bill Hamblin's book on Medieval warfare, which is evidence of the Book of Mormon, incidentally, is part of the Oxford library.

Brigfordbridge. It's already a thing. The only threat is a handful of lousy liberal professors -- how did they even get on in the first place?

If we focus on orthodoxy first, the spirit of the Lord will pour out and the achievements will follow.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

OK. I disagree amicably. Let’s revisit this question in a millennium. Surely even the most besotted fan of Mormonism knows that a thousand-year reputation is not built on fantasies.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Flemming
Valiant A

Post by Flemming »

malkie wrote: Can he imagine himself musing about whether the boss of a member of this board would be interested in the fact that said board member was posting here? Didn't he do just that a few years ago? "Nice job you have there - it would be a pity if anything bad happened to it."
Did this actually happen, or is it gossip?
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Flemming wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:05 am
malkie wrote: Can he imagine himself musing about whether the boss of a member of this board would be interested in the fact that said board member was posting here? Didn't he do just that a few years ago? "Nice job you have there - it would be a pity if anything bad happened to it."
I remember something about this from about 8-10 years ago, I believe, but have to admit that my memory is not as good as it used to be.

So, if nobody else can confirm it, I'll edit my comment to indicate a high degree of uncertainty.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Flemming wrote:
malkie wrote:Can he imagine himself musing about whether the boss of a member of this board would be interested in the fact that said board member was posting here? Didn't he do just that a few years ago? "Nice job you have there - it would be a pity if anything bad happened to it."
It happened at least twice, by two different Mopologist creeps. DCP was not one of them, though.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:50 am
Flemming wrote:
It happened at least twice, by two different Mopologist creeps. DCP was not one of them, though.
The late Bill Hamblin did it to me (meaning he threatened to contact my dean)! I was also told that another apologist had contacted my chair, but I never bothered to confirm it.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:53 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
The late Bill Hamblin did it to me (meaning he threatened to contact my dean)! I was also told that another apologist had contacted my chair, but I never bothered to confirm it.
That is so childishly ridiculous of grown Mormon men to even think like that, let alone act like it. Had I known he had done so I would have excoriated him till his screaming and begging me to stop, he went hoarse. And he and DCP seemed like such great men to me at one point. Stupid little twits. DCP had enormous influence at one time, he easily could have dissuaded other "grown up scholars" not to do something so idiotic and immature, so in my book, he is rightly receiving his part of the blame.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Flemming wrote:
Thanks for the correction, Shades.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:53 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
It was you I was thinking of, Rev - I didn't want to mention you specifically in case you'd have preferred the incident not be talked about.