First black Apostle called!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: First black Apostle called!

Post by Gadianton »

lder Patrick Kearon might not be black, but he does listen to the band Earth, Wind and Fire. I guess that counts for something....
CFR. To me he looks like the kind of guy with a playlist as white as DCP's.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:51 am
lder Patrick Kearon might not be black, but he does listen to the band Earth, Wind and Fire. I guess that counts for something....
CFR. To me he looks like the kind of guy with a playlist as white as DCP's.
My apologies. What I meant to say is that Elder Patrick Kearon listens to Lawrence Welk:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Far more likely...although it might take him a couple glasses of sparkling cider to get there.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:04 am
I am honestly surprised that the early Mormon church had any black members, let alone ones ordained to the priesthood, especially considering what happened under Brigham Young.
Elijah Abel was ordained by Joseph Smith, so Brigham Young didn't have any power to stop it.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

If Kearon were a country, he’d be Switzerland. He’s a safe appointment. He’ll say the right things at the right times. He’ll toe the party line whilst maintaining a sort of neutral demeanor. He’ll talk about Jesus more than Church. He’ll walk a safe, middle path. He’ll be quiet and deferential during Apostle meetings. He’ll be “comfortable” for all the other Apostles. He’s one of them. A conservative “vanilla” white guy who’s going to stay within the fence of what Bednar et al want from Apostles. He’s a Bednar appointment, and he’ll be one of Bednar’s FP counsellors when that time comes. This isn’t a change appointment in the short term, nor the long term. He’ll keep his nose clean, he’ll stay fitter than the others, and will get to sit in the big chair. He’s a nice guy, and will do nice guy stuff. But he won’t change anything. He won’t influence change.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I Have Questions wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:16 am
If Kearon were a country, he’d be Switzerland. He’s a safe appointment. He’ll say the right things at the right times. He’ll toe the party line whilst maintaining a sort of neutral demeanor. He’ll talk about Jesus more than Church. He’ll walk a safe, middle path. He’ll be quiet and deferential during Apostle meetings. He’ll be “comfortable” for all the other Apostles. He’s one of them. A conservative “vanilla” white guy who’s going to stay within the fence of what Bednar et al want from Apostles. He’s a Bednar appointment, and he’ll be one of Bednar’s FP counsellors when that time comes. This isn’t a change appointment in the short term, nor the long term. He’ll keep his nose clean, he’ll stay fitter than the others, and will get to sit in the big chair. He’s a nice guy, and will do nice guy stuff. But he won’t change anything. He won’t influence change.
That is the resume of most of management. The managerial class is there to keep the ship sailing on its preordained path, not to revolutionize the ship itself or send it on a different course.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

A lot of his career was spent in real estate, what a shocker. :lol: