Paul H. Dunn’s Blatant Lies

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
markc
Star A

Paul H. Dunn’s Blatant Lies

Post by markc »

Another article about the church by me. I feel this to be too important to be quiet. Just so you know.

Paul H. Dunn’s Blatant Lies: “Although They Were Not True, the End Justifies the Means”

https://chumark54.substack.com/p/paul-h ... s-although
Morley
God
Location: Gotta love this 1794 woodcut portrait by Toshusai Sharaku.

Re: Paul H. Dunn’s Blatant Lies

Post by Morley »

markc wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:50 pm
Another article about the church by me. I feel this to be too important to be quiet. Just so you know.

Paul H. Dunn’s Blatant Lies: “Although They Were Not True, the End Justifies the Means”

https://chumark54.substack.com/p/paul-h ... s-although
Though I’m well acquainted with the Paul Dunn scandal, your article inspired me to finally read Lynn Packer’s book. Though I’m only about a quarter of the way through, and I know the best is still to come, it’s still pretty amusing.

The Church was more muscular, then; the infusion of both testosterone and estrogen was more apparent. In the years that Dunn was spinning his tales, Nephi was John Wayne, and Joseph Smith was an amalgam of Davy Crockett and Charlton Heston. The Book of Mormon could still host Arnold Friberg’s paintings without blushing.

Today, Paul Dunn has given way to Daniel Peterson. Though I’m definitely no fan of Dunn, I can’t help but feel nostalgic. That said, I’m reminded of what a dick Paul Dunn truly was, and how—though other GAs certainly knew of his lies—they enabled everything he said and did.

Thank you for posting this, Mark.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

her GAs certainly knew of his lies—they enabled everything he said and did
I've mentioned before that on the day the news broke, or maybe it was the next day, my BYU Book of Mormon Institute teacher (not the Harvard guy who said we should kill if the prophet says so but a second string biologist who, aside from this one thing, was immemorable) mentioned "the recent news" and that he knew it had been going on for about ten years now.

I think at first I was impressed that he was in the know, and I think that was his angle, to brag about being in the know. Later it hit me that, wait a second, if this guy knew about it, then it was a pretty big open secret among the brass and their circles.

Another case of: the Church never does the right thing because it's the right thing. Only because they got caught or bad PR mandates it.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:14 am
her GAs certainly knew of his lies—they enabled everything he said and did
I've mentioned before that on the day the news broke, or maybe it was the next day, my BYU Book of Mormon Institute teacher (not the Harvard guy who said we should kill if the prophet says so but a second string biologist who, aside from this one thing, was immemorable) mentioned "the recent news" and that he knew it had been going on for about ten years now.

I think at first I was impressed that he was in the know, and I think that was his angle, to brag about being in the know. Later it hit me that, wait a second, if this guy knew about it, then it was a pretty big open secret among the brass and their circles.

Another case of: the Church never does the right thing because it's the right thing. Only because they got caught or bad PR mandates it.
And so many Mormons out there are miffed when we say we are now in the know that the leaders are in the know of the deliberate deception they hoist upon the members. . . and it is the #1 testimony killer, simply because of how they have set it all up to be leader worship instead of actual religion.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

This is Paul Dunn, evading enemy fire in WWII.

"As I ran, I moved this way and that way, and I could tell I had a sniper with a machine gun right on me because the dirt and the mud just kicked right up behind and around me. Well, by this time it was everybody for himself. As I scrambled within fifty yards of our line, the sniper got a direct bead on me, and the first burst caught me in the right heel and took my combat boot right off; it made me barefooted that quickly, without touching me physically. It spun me around and I went down on my knee. As I went down another machine gun burst came across my back and ripped my belt and the canteen and the ammunition pouch right off my back, again without touching me.

"I got up to run and another burst hit me right in the back of the helmet. It hit in the steel part, ricocheted enough so that it came up over my head, just burned the top of my head, and split the helmet in two, but didn’t touch me. Then I lunged forward again and another burst caught me in the loose part of my clothing at the shoulder, so that I could take both of my shirtsleeves off without removing my coat. And then one more lunge, and I fell over the line into the arms of one of the dirtiest sergeants you ever saw."

Packer, Lynn. Lying For The Lord: The Paul H. Dunn Stories (p. 110). Unknown. Kindle Edition.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Morley wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:58 am
This is Paul Dunn, evading enemy fire in WWII.

"As I ran, I moved this way and that way, and I could tell I had a sniper with a machine gun right on me because the dirt and the mud just kicked right up behind and around me. Well, by this time it was everybody for himself. As I scrambled within fifty yards of our line, the sniper got a direct bead on me, and the first burst caught me in the right heel and took my combat boot right off; it made me barefooted that quickly, without touching me physically. It spun me around and I went down on my knee. As I went down another machine gun burst came across my back and ripped my belt and the canteen and the ammunition pouch right off my back, again without touching me.

"I got up to run and another burst hit me right in the back of the helmet. It hit in the steel part, ricocheted enough so that it came up over my head, just burned the top of my head, and split the helmet in two, but didn’t touch me. Then I lunged forward again and another burst caught me in the loose part of my clothing at the shoulder, so that I could take both of my shirtsleeves off without removing my coat. And then one more lunge, and I fell over the line into the arms of one of the dirtiest sergeants you ever saw."

Packer, Lynn. Lying For The Lord: The Paul H. Dunn Stories (p. 110). Unknown. Kindle Edition.
Still more believable than the Book of Mormon.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

I dunno, Everybody Wang Chung. The battle scenes in The Book of Mormon pretty credible. Take the Book of Ether, Chapter 15.

After four years of preparation, the armies of the all of the Jaredites in the Americas go to war with each other. At the beginning of the chapter, two million warriors are already dead by the sword--and with their women and children, maybe eight million are dead in total.

Two generals, Coriantumr and Shiz, lead their respective armies. Their forces battle and rest; battle and rest; parley, send notes back and forth, then battle and rest some more. This goes on for a few days.

Then it gets bad. Because at this point, every Jaredite man, woman, and child in the Western Hemisphere has picked a side, armed themselves, and joined in the fight. Well, that is, except for the prophet Ester who's presumably eating lunch while sitting on a hill, watching the whole thing play out.

Finally, after a whole lot of it-came-to-passes and and a few more battle-and-rests, there are just a few dozen souls left on each side. Everyone else has killed each other.

The few folks left on the two sides keep fighting until everyone is dead except for the two generals, Coriantumr and Shiz. Now, like a scene from The Highlander, the two lone survivors face off against each other. There can only be one. After some pretty awesome swordplay, Coriantumr chops off Shiz's head. Though dead, the decapitated Shiz pushes himself up with his hands and takes a final breath through the hole in his neck.

Every living Jaredite on two continents, except for the prophet Ester and a grievously wounded Coriantumr, has died in this war.

What's so unbelievable about this?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Morley wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:28 am
I dunno, Everybody Wang Chung. The battle scenes in The Book of Mormon pretty credible. Take the Book of Ether, Chapter 15.

After four years of preparation, the armies of the all of the Jaredites in the Americas go to war with each other. At the beginning of the chapter, two million warriors are already dead by the sword--and with their women and children, maybe eight million are dead in total.

Two generals, Coriantumr and Shiz, lead their respective armies. Their forces battle and rest; battle and rest; parley, send notes back and forth, then battle and rest some more. This goes on for a few days.

Then it gets bad. Because at this point, every Jaredite man, woman, and child in the Western Hemisphere has picked a side, armed themselves, and joined in the fight. Well, that is, except for the prophet Ester who's presumably eating lunch while sitting on a hill, watching the whole thing play out.

Finally, after a whole lot of it-came-to-passes and and a few more battle-and-rests, there are just a few dozen souls left on each side. Everyone else has killed each other.

The few folks left on the two sides keep fighting until everyone is dead except for the two generals, Coriantumr and Shiz. Now, like a scene from The Highlander, the two lone survivors face off against each other. There can only be one. After some pretty awesome swordplay, Coriantumr chops off Shiz's head. Though dead, the decapitated Shiz pushes himself up with his hands and takes a final breath through the hole in his neck.

Every living Jaredite on two continents, except for the prophet Ester and a grievously wounded Coriantumr, has died in this war.

What's so unbelievable about this?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Morley wrote:
I dunno, Everybody Wang Chung. The battle scenes in The Book of Mormon pretty credible. Take the Book of Ether, Chapter 15. . . Well, that is, except for the prophet Ester who's presumably eating lunch while sitting on a hill, watching the whole thing play out. . . Every living Jaredite on two continents, except for the prophet Ester and a grievously wounded Coriantumr, has died in this war.
I think you mean "Ether," after whom the book is named. "Esther" is the name of the Jewish queen in the book of the Bible of the same name.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:48 am
Morley wrote:
I dunno, Everybody Wang Chung. The battle scenes in The Book of Mormon pretty credible. Take the Book of Ether, Chapter 15. . . Well, that is, except for the prophet Ester who's presumably eating lunch while sitting on a hill, watching the whole thing play out. . . Every living Jaredite on two continents, except for the prophet Ester and a grievously wounded Coriantumr, has died in this war.
I think you mean "Ether," after whom the book is named. "Esther" is the name of the Jewish queen in the book of the Bible of the same name.
Ha! Absolutely.

If you think that was bad, you should have seen the several variations I kept typing for the name 'Shiz.'