Does this sound like someone we know?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Does this sound like someone we know?

Post by Marcus »

Cultural [flair]
The Echochamber of Ex Mormonism (self.Mormon)

submitted 16 hours ago by unique_username_6385

It goes without saying that the Church can act like an echo chamber sometimes. I've noticed that communities comprised of those who have left the faith can end up acting the same way - idolizing a few white men, repeating the same talking points, only believing evidence that supports what they want. I used to be of the opinion that it helped with "healing" after a faith crisis. Having been there myself, I know realize it is just immature.

How do we avoid falling into the same trap we did as members?
Maybe this will give another clue:
unique_username_6385 [ S ] [score hidden] 5 hours ago

I've noticed a lot of men tend to not notice this, because they were previously part of the patriarchy inside the church. So many exmormon men have sought new leaders in a different patriarchy that makes them feel comfortable and powerful. John Dehlin, Jeremy Runnells, RFM, etc. You might think you don't idolize these men, but TBMs don't think they idolize the Q15.
and
As an ExMo, is it wrong for me to criticize my own community? This is the exact sort of behavior I'm worried about.
If you guessed the author goes elsewhere by the name that is the flowering bloom of a rhymes-with-Toes, you might be wrong, at least according to this brand new redditor:
I'm 19 but still have to go since my parents make me. Technically active, but PIMO.
Sure. :roll:
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Does this sound like someone we know?

Post by Philo Sofee »

MG? Is that you?!
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Agree, Marcus.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

A rose bud by any other name would smell as sweet!
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I’m shocked she is only 19.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Lots of people could observe that recent ex-Mormons retain some Mormon traits in their ex-ness, and that white men find it less easy to give up attention than belief in the Priesthood. Describing the attention they get as “idolizing”, though, seems more specifically Rosebuddish. They might want to be idolized, but I don’t think most people would say that they get it.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I don't think the 'nineteen year old' realizes how recognizable comments can be:
...For someone like myself, it is alarming to leave the church and then run straight into another community that I feel makes the same errors...But I was called arrogant and condescending.

I am sensitive to the fact that people have emotional scars from leaving the church...
and
...It's in my nature to challenge authority, I'm not going to stop that after I leave the church. If my attitude isn't welcome here, I totally understand. I just want to be able to push back...
also
...TBMs have a dogmatic narrative, and so do exmormons (despite the claim of being nuanced)...
Followed by this utterly quintessential response from the flowerbloom doppleganger:
...I doubt I'll be back...
Of course not.

(I've only excerpted comments, the full comments and people's responses are at the subreddit r/Mormon, in posts started by the OP user name quoted in the OP.)
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

That is not a 19 year old. And apparently trying to make amends with a second post.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:38 pm
(I've only excerpted comments, the full comments and people's responses are at the subreddit r/Mormon, in posts started by the OP user name quoted in the OP.)
Marcus, it's more helpful to provide a direct link. In this case, it is: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mormon/comment ... Mormonism/
Rivendale wrote:That is not a 19 year old. And apparently trying to make amends with a second post.
Posting a direct link to this second post you mentioned is also helpful to those who may want to read it. It is: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mormon/comment ... ty_member/

As a reminder, Universal Rule #6 reads, "Cross-posting" from other message boards is allowed. Feel free. If you do this--or if you just mention content hosted at another site--always provide a link to that content so people can find out just what it is you're talking about.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Rivendale wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:09 am
That is not a 19 year old. And apparently trying to make amends with a second post.
Apparently the trying is over. User deleted their account. But not before a very astute commenter had this to say:
]Temporary_Habit8255 [score hidden] 4 hours ago

I'm not sure I've seen a better example of main character syndrome on this sub. Thanks for letting us know, I guess?