Forty Hours Per Week?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Forty Hours Per Week?

Post by huckelberry »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:21 pm
It's easy for people to justify their own lives to themselves. Peterson's delusion about the Church having anything to do with libertarianism is on full display in his recent posting. .......... it's about his own personal faith. He needs to put his fate in the hands of the Lord and submit his papers. The Brethren know who he is, if they prayerfully see fit to put him to work as a Mopologist, then so be it. He'll get to do exactly what he wants, plus a gift certificate and bragging rights to say he was right all along.
Please help me in my ignorance. How could it be a delusion about libertarianism? What in the world happened to the basic idea of, teach people correct principals and they can govern themselves?

I realize there are variations but the above was central to what I learned in seminary. Just how hard a shift to authoritarian control has there been?

Is it an LDS thing or is part of a broad EV move in that direction to react against the outside influences?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:14 pm
Does his wife have an opinion?
Excellent question. Based on his previous writings, he is unable to care for himself without a servant helpmeet. One time, he explained that his wife was away tending to a pregnant daughter, but luckily for him, his home ward got together and arranged to have all his meals brought in, to make sure he was fed. Otherwise he just didn't know how he would have coped. :roll:
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Marcus wrote:but luckily for him, his home ward got together and arranged to have all his meals brought in, to make sure he was fed.
I'm sorry, what?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:25 am
Marcus wrote:but luckily for him, his home ward got together and arranged to have all his meals brought in, to make sure he was fed
I'm sorry, what?
Yes! He literally couldn't imagine how he was going to feed himself while his wife was away for a few days! He seemed to consider it perfectly normal that ward members would step in and cook his dinner for him, for no other reason than that his wife was away.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:50 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:14 pm
Does his wife have an opinion?
Excellent question. Based on his previous writings, he is unable to care for himself without a servant helpmeet. One time, he explained that his wife was away tending to a pregnant daughter, but luckily for him, his home ward got together and arranged to have all his meals brought in, to make sure he was fed. Otherwise he just didn't know how he would have coped. :roll:
If he can't function without his wife then maybe there is a different reason for not going on a mission that he doesn't wish to share? A mission changes the dynamic and if the ward had to bring food in for him because he didn't know what to do then a mission would bring about massive anxiety. (Not taking his side, just throwing a perspective out) I don't think the church should put that pressure on older people.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:16 am
Marcus wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:50 am
If he can't function without his wife then maybe there is a different reason for not going on a mission that he doesn't wish to share? A mission changes the dynamic and if the ward had to bring food in for him because he didn't know what to do then a mission would bring about massive anxiety. (Not taking his side, just throwing a perspective out) I don't think the church should put that pressure on older people.
He's perfectly capable of making his own meals, he just uses having a wife in a very sexist way. And then brags about it online.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:54 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:16 am
He's perfectly capable of making his own meals, he just uses having a wife in a very sexist way. And then brags about it online.
I see.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:06 am
Happy New Year’s Eve, Friends and Colleagues! I’m sure you’re all waiting for the ball to drop. I know that I am very curious to see what Mopologetics has in store for us in 2024. In the meantime, we have a fascinating nugget to mull over from SeN. Once again, the Proprietor is offering up a rather strange excuse for why he refuses to volunteer for a senior mission, despite exhortations from Church leaders:
I believe strongly that older people should, where they can, devote at least some of their retirement years to service to others and to the Kingdom.

That said, though — and I know that some (certainly the small but obsessive coven of anonymous online critics who monitor my every word) will see this is self-glorifying, self-serving, and hypocritical — I’ve concluded that, for the foreseeable future, my wife and I are already serving a kind of mission, one for which very few people would be willing or even quite able to take my place.

The Interpreter Foundation requires a lot of time, as do our film efforts. And I’m working, when I can, on several enormous book projects, as well as a continual flow of articles, that I hope and believe might someday be of some benefit to at least a few Latter-day Saints. I spend easily forty hours a week on such things — from morning until, typically, late at night — and already I worry that, at my advanced stage of senectitude, I’m not going to be able to finish them.
Peterson doesn’t mention fasting and praying about the decision to not serve a senior mission as requested by his Bishop and his Lord God (via His Prophets, Seers, and Revelators). Has he done so? If so, what response did he get to those prayers? Has he discussed his view that he’s already serving a sort of senior mission via Cruise Lady trips, etc. with his Bishop? If so, did his Bishop agree?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Peterson's response and refusal to obey the Lord through his servants the prophets is proof positive he doesn't really believe Jesus is actually running the church... think on it. Were his testimony rooted in Jesus guiding the church for real, he would instantly jump at the chance to go serve his Lord and God in whatever circumstance he was asked to serve. That he gives a selfish desired excuse to keep trying to build up his own ego doing it his way and not the Lord's supposedly more inspired and correct and valuable way, and refuse is as positive a proof that Peterson doesn't believe the church's narrative as one can find anywhere on the internet.

Now make no mistake about it, I side with him! I too would NOT go at the behest of the old dudes calling either, but I am not the issue here, he, as a faithful and believing (now we are seeing the charade in full light, he is entirely disbelieving) Melchizedek Priesthood holding member is. Put your money where your mouth is DCP, GO ON THE MISSION. Obedience is the first law of heaven and all that other noise you actually don't believe in. Do it for the church's image sake if nothing else.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Look, it just needs to be stated plainly: DCP is a terrible Latter-day Saint. When I think back on all the hundreds of Mormons I’ve known over the years, and how they lived their faith….DCP is an absolute embarrassment compared to the best of them. These are people who were humble, hard-working, and who genuinely valued things like kindness and generosity.

Can anyone make a persuasive argument that Peterson embodies any of these qualities? I would argue that there are boatloads of *non-Mormons* who are better, more Christ-like LDS than DCP.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14