Serving bishop resigns from the stand at sacrament meeting

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Serving bishop resigns from the stand at sacrament meeting

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:17 am
Good for him. More leaders need to defy Mormon authorities who ask them to do immoral things.
That was my first thought: What were the morally objectionable things that he was asked to do?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:07 am
That was my first thought: What were the morally objectionable things that he was asked to do?
The rumor I read was that he had been asked by his stake president to get more details from a girl who had come to him to confess a sexual "sin."
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:01 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:07 am
The rumor I read was that he had been asked by his stake president to get more details from a girl who had come to him to confess a sexual "sin."
All my attempts (including this one) to make a reasoned comment on the issues raised by a stake president's possibly having issued such an instruction have resulted in my feeling mildly unwell. But I have been a reader of this board long enough to realise that this kind of thing might well have happened. I really hope that it did not.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Chap wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:50 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:01 pm
All my attempts (including this one) to make a reasoned comment on the issues raised by a stake president's possibly having issued such an instruction have resulted in my feeling mildly unwell. But I have been a reader of this board long enough to realise that this kind of thing might well have happened. I really hope that it did not.
If there is a heaven, this Bishop is getting in.
Nomomo
Priest

Post by Nomomo »

What is this guy's name? I have checked a dozen articles and they all only say a Mississippi Bishop. They seem to be avoiding mentioning what his name is. What is his name?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Nomomo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:29 am
What is this guy's name? I have checked a dozen articles and they all only say a Mississippi Bishop. They seem to be avoiding mentioning what his name is. What is his name?
I heard he will start appearing on podcasts. Maybe we will get his name then.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
zeezrom
Nursery

Post by zeezrom »

I was fully expecting his speech to get interrupted.

That looked painful and difficult but he just earned himself double the length of weekends and a huge bonus. :D
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

zeezrom wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:09 am
I was fully expecting his speech to get interrupted.

That looked painful and difficult but he just earned himself double the length of weekends and a huge bonus. :D
Not necessarily. He simply resigned his post as bishop; he didn't resign his membership.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=juI-FVmU4OU

Link to he and his wife’s interview on Mormon Stories.

I haven’t watched it yet, so no commentary at this time, except to say, did John dye his hair?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

May the Lord bless and continue to comfort this family. It is through the same experiences that some twenty two years ago many of you shared your lives with me and other posters on the discussion boards, and where I learned compassion. I truly love you guys. Sad that two plus decades have passed, and while some things have changed for the better, nothing much has changed. The church still ignores the bloated elephant in the room, and at the expense of the spiritual and emotional wellbeing of her members.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7