Did Moses Plagiarize from Plato? BYP Live Sunday, Jan 7

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Did Moses Plagiarize from Plato? BYP Live Sunday, Jan 7

Post by Philo Sofee »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989NZL04uQs

Benny Hinrichs is my guest and we are talking about the Greek influence on the Bible. It's going to be great! Looking forward to seeing you all there.
huckelberry
God

Re: Did Moses Plagiarize from Plato? BYP Live Sunday, Jan 7

Post by huckelberry »

influence spreads wide. Plagiarize, what a odd word to choose.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

huckleberry, I suggest reading about Philo of Alexandria.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:23 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989NZL04uQs

Benny Hinrichs is my guest and we are talking about the Greek influence on the Bible. It's going to be great! Looking forward to seeing you all there.
I doubt I'll be awake in 80 mins. Sounds interesting.

My son likes chess. He asked for fairie chess for Christmas which we managed to get for him but I have no idea how to play. For some reason the instructions don't say where to put the pieces. Only where to put the value of the pieces. So I need to get watching some videos and work it out. He's an interesting kid. He asked for microbit as well, so tonight we've been doing tutorials on that. It's overwhelming. You'd think with his parents having physics degrees we wouldn't have to be learning it with him :lol:

Edit: I managed to watch some. I don't think the stories are literal. I think they are symbolic and it stands to reason that stories would be similar if it is symbolic rather than literal.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:07 pm
huckleberry, I suggest reading about Philo of Alexandria.
Known for interpreting Jewish scripture and thought using a good deal of Greek philosophy. To say he learned from the Greeks is not very similar to saying Moses learned from the Greeks. I am not sure what you are aiming at honorentheos. I am no expert on Philo and he produced a bunch of things so there is plenty I do not know about him. I have a vague memory that early common era there were some people who claimed Plato learned from Moses, a far fetched notion I think, but I am not remembering if Philo thought that.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:45 pm
influence spreads wide. Plagiarize, what a odd word to choose.
Well, I listened to a good portion of this discussion. It is too long for me to do at one time. I noticed that off the bat Kerry notes plagiarize was word use as click bait. Ok.

I can find some interest in seeing how biblical stories have parallels elsewhere. I think there is a degree of shared culture in the region going back thousands of years. Usually the flood story is seen has having earlier Mesopotamian sources. It can also be seen that the idea can crop up widely. There are human themes that are very widespread. I think it would be difficult to trace which paths of influence were most important when any two similarities in a story could have had quite a variety of possible sources.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I thought the claim was that Plato borrowed from Moses. Of course Philo’s Moses looks like a good Platonist because Philo was one.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:36 pm
I thought the claim was that Plato borrowed from Moses....
I really hope it was. The question as posed in the thread title would involve a (probably mythical) person living in the late second millennium BC inventing a time machine to travel forwards a thousand years to Athens in the time of Plato, learning Greek, jotting down a lot of stuff, and then nipping back to enlighten the early Hebrews.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Chap wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:35 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:36 pm
I thought the claim was that Plato borrowed from Moses....
I really hope it was. The question as posed in the thread title would involve a (probably mythical) person living in the late second millennium BC inventing a time machine to travel forwards a thousand years to Athens in the time of Plato, learning Greek, jotting down a lot of stuff, and then nipping back to enlighten the early Hebrews.
Chap, yes the title of the tread is rather goofy. The actual presentation is about story similarities between Old Testament material presumed formed post Babylonian captivity and various Greek stories. I am more inclined to think popular thematic tropes but direct influence is not impossible as far as I know.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Well? THAT IS a worthwhile topic, since the post-exilic Hebrew Bible came to be in a world in which the Greeks were very influential.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow