Deep into the Heart of Africa

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Deep into the Heart of Africa

Post by Gadianton »

If someone announces they are going deep into Africa, I always think of this saying. If I look up the saying online, it references Malawi, or the Congo, and you'll have to forgive me to jumping to conclusions, but if the individual making the announcement is part of a major project right now taking place in the Congo, then immediately I'm thinking the person is travelling to the Congo.

Perhaps I've missed something. But if the individual is speaking of Egypt, it barely even qualifies as being in Africa. But if you go a few miles south, does that mean you're deep within Africa?

Is my confusion justified? What if the person has already been to Egypt like 20 times, has business in the Congo and has never been there, but by going deep into Africa, is really talking about going somewhat South within Egypt, for the second time this year. You'd think a two-day stay in the Congo to touch base with partners there would look good.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: Deep into the Heart of Africa

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Some important observations here, Dean Robbers. I noticed that The Proprietor said something to the effect that his wife "has outdone herself with our hotel room," or perhaps that was in reference to London?

It would seem there is a reason why he was recently boasting about how arduous his work is: upwards of 40 hours per week that he's slaving away! He's so busy, and his travel schedule is so demanding, that he likely won't have time to attend to the comments section on his blog! Except that it didn't stop him from writing mocking responses to Gemli, or erupting with anger at (and probably banning) David Sanders. And I am hard-pressed to see what bearing this latest Egypt trip (oh, sorry, this "into Deep Africa" trip) has to do with Interpreter or Mopologetics.

You're right that he should make a pitstop over in the Congo to touch base with the folks working on that colonialist Interpreter film project. Not doing so makes it look like---I dunno, that he's afraid? That he's "too good" for the DRC? Or that he's the ultimate "colonialist emperor" who sits back in his cushy throne, eating grapes by the bunch and rolling his eyes with lazy delight while he lets others do the dirty work of exploitation? He's more than happy to peddle this Congo Interpreter project--and to use it as a means of trying to extract $$$ from donors--and yet, probably due to his grueling 40+ hour-per-week schedule that requires him to go on multiple non-work-related vacations, he can't seem to find time to make it out to the actual location of the project.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:46 pm
If someone announces they are going deep into Africa, I always think of this saying. If I look up the saying online, it references Malawi, or the Congo, and you'll have to forgive me to jumping to conclusions, but if the individual making the announcement is part of a major project right now taking place in the Congo, then immediately I'm thinking the person is travelling to the Congo.

Perhaps I've missed something. But if the individual is speaking of Egypt, it barely even qualifies as being in Africa. But if you go a few miles south, does that mean you're deep within Africa?
This is obviously a very sore spot for DCP.

Only after receiving criticism for the Interpreter's "White Savior Complex" Congo project, has DCP tried to portray himself as a friend and frequent traveler to Africa. I think it's clear that DCP's only interest in Africa is that he feels it will somehow erase all of his public racist writings and behavior.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Egypt is NOT deep Africa although it's a country that belongs to the continent proper. Actually, it can be said that Egypt shares common belongings to both Africa and the Middle East. To enter the heart of Africa requires a journey inward whether going south into Nubia or into the actual heart of Africa. But it should be clear that being in the deep of Africa is a SAFARI wherein the terrain and wildlife make that possible.

Dan Peterson is a dumbass. And when it comes to Egypt, he's just a dodo.

And, Dan Peterson's defenses of the Book of Abraham are both sick and deceptive in every way. He's a liar and a cheat. And he knows it!
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

hauslern wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:22 am
Shulem
What about this claim?
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 6366109731
What "claim" do you specifically refer to? I assume you mean Sobek and how Joseph Smith nailed the crocodile figure in Facsimile No. 1. I've discussed that in several places on this board and more recently, today:

A glimpse into DCP’s un-history Egypt tour
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I heard a good one the other day:

What do you do if you're running a hot-air balloon ride service in the Middle East and one of your balloons suddenly runs out of helium?

answer:

Get the Mopologist onboard to talk about the Book of Abraham.

lol!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

from a dumb book wrote:He began his essay by identifying “two contradictory impulses” that he thought were present in most people. On the one hand, we want to believe that there is a complete set of transcendent propositions that direct us how to live righteously, propositions that he characterizes as “findable” because they exist objectively and independently of us. On the other hand, we want to believe that there are no such rules, that we are completely free to decide and choose for ourselves what we ought to do and be. “What we want, Heaven help us, is simultaneously to be perfectly ruled and perfectly free, that is, at the same time to discover the right and the good and to create it.” . . .
If anything it does describe the situation DCP is in. On the one hand, he wants to believe that his particular sect is given the most complete list of divine laws humans have ever had available. On the other hand, he wants to believe he is perfectly free to discover what's right for him, rather than say, put his faith in the Lord and submit his papers for a mission.

He's put himself in a "Goldilocks zone", which interestingly, undermines the point of his book. If he were never to look at the Ten Commandments again, or read the Book of Mormon again, or the D&C, would he do anything other than continue to travel the world and eat at nice restaurants? If so then what real point is there to all of those laws? What he wants to say is that, in his unique case, he's lucky that his own ambitions and tastes just happen to line up with codified divine law, but other people -- other people are a different story. Others may be forced to quit doing things that bring them pleasure, or sacrifice more for the Church.

Until he can come up with a list of things the divine law says that aren't things that he wants to do anyway, and that will be difficult and uncomfortable for him, all his morality talk like this just sounds like hypocrisy.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

I'd say Egypt is in Africa.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:55 pm
Egypt is NOT deep Africa although it's a country that belongs to the continent proper. Actually, it can be said that Egypt shares common belongings to both Africa and the Middle East. To enter the heart of Africa requires a journey inward whether going south into Nubia or into the actual heart of Africa. But it should be clear that being in the deep of Africa is a SAFARI wherein the terrain and wildlife make that possible.
Due to a few moments of idle curiosity and perhaps a touch of boredom, I checked a bit about the heart of Africa. I suppose a person could safari. On the other hand, a person could fly to an international airport, stay in a hotel, and eat in restaurants.

Quoting Wikipedia, "Entebbe International Airport (IATA: EBB, ICAO: HUEN) is the only international airport in Uganda. It is located about 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) southwest of the town of Entebbe, on the northern shores of Lake Victoria.[5] This is approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi) by road south-west of the central business district of Kampala, the capital city of Uganda.[6]"