A Poor Woman With Dirty Clothes Ruined Louis Midgley's Trip To England

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

A Poor Woman With Dirty Clothes Ruined Louis Midgley's Trip To England

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

If you ever harbored any doubts that Louis Midgley was a raging narcissist/stalker/misogynist/sociopath, you no longer need to doubt those doubts. Over at the Proprietor's blog, Louis Midgley posted the following:
Louis Midgley wrote:I am fond of England, and I am especially fond of London. My very first visit to London was soon after my wife and I were the first couple sealed in the newly dedicated LDS Temple just outside of Bern, Switzerland, after having to be first married in a civil ceremony in Bern. Oh those were wonderful days. We were then able to travel around much of western Europe for the next six months.

However, on one of many subsequent visits to London, my wife and I had one rather bad experience. On a visit to St. Paul’s Cathedral my wife and I discovered, with many others, a strange woman who one could smell when one got within many yards of her. She, and also her clothing, needed a good wash.
How dare this woman, who obviously was struggling either financially or with mental issues, ruin Louis Midgley's trip to England?! The audacity of this woman is mind boggling. Didn't she know she had no right going to St. Paul's Cathedral looking and smelling offensive to Louis Midgley?

My God! What's wrong with these poor people?
Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Re: A Poor Woman With Dirty Clothes Ruined Louis Midgley's Trip To England

Post by drumdude »

We must assume Midge, being a devout follower of the savior, clothed her at his own expense. Right?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:12 pm
We must assume Midge, being a devout follower of the savior, clothed her at his own expense. Right?
Of course he did! He also never blogged anything derogatory about her or her appearance. I would expect nothing less from a former BYU Professor, Mopologist and Priesthood holder.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:12 pm
I wonder if sharing even a smidgin of a widow's mite crossed his mind at that time.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Daniel Peterson wrote:DS: "I can't think of anything more repulsive than only helping others due to belief they will be getting an eternal reward."

Oh, I can think of many things more repulsive than that. Murdering scores of millions of people in the name of atheistic Marxism is one. Murdering millions in the name of Nazi social Darwinism is another. And not helping people at all -- whether out of the atheistic "Objectivism" of Ayn Rand or out of sheer indifference -- is yet another.
lol! Looks like Midgley is getting lumped into a category with Stalin and Hitler!
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I was riding passenger the other day from my home to a university town situated nearby; it was about a 40-minute drive. As such, I decided to do some light reading, so I popped open my fresh copy of Genghis Khan: His Conquests, His Empire, His Legacy by Frank McLynn, and was reminded of the oft bemoaned attacks on religion by those darned atheists. I was finishing the book as we rolled into our destination and was reminded, naturally, of the big phony, Dowsin’ Dan, spoutin’ off about how many people atheists have killed, or whatever. Hey Pork Master, don’t forget to add in Genghis Khan to your Us vs Them calculus. He killed a tenth of the world’s population, and he was a religionist.

Anyway. It was a good book and I recommend it in case anyone wants to do some, again, light reading.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Wow, that's an epic bad experience, Lou. I'm sure Dan feels terribly sorry for him, and would have felt just as bad had he walked in Midgley's shoes.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

As an aside, in Mormonism, is the anniversary date for a married couple considered the date of the civil marriage or the date of being sealed in the temple, providing a couple did both? I would assume which ever date ceremony came first. I ask because on my aunt and uncle's Catholic Church website, the date they are married in the church would actually be their marriage/anniversary date.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Jesse Pinkman
Nursery

Post by Jesse Pinkman »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:10 pm
If you ever harbored any doubts that Louis Midgley was a raging narcissist/stalker/misogynist/sociopath, you no longer need to doubt those doubts. Over at the Proprietor's blog, Louis Midgley posted the following:
Louis Midgley wrote:I am fond of England, and I am especially fond of London. My very first visit to London was soon after my wife and I were the first couple sealed in the newly dedicated LDS Temple just outside of Bern, Switzerland, after having to be first married in a civil ceremony in Bern. Oh those were wonderful days. We were then able to travel around much of western Europe for the next six months.

However, on one of many subsequent visits to London, my wife and I had one rather bad experience. On a visit to St. Paul’s Cathedral my wife and I discovered, with many others, a strange woman who one could smell when one got within many yards of her. She, and also her clothing, needed a good wash.
How dare this woman, who obviously was struggling either financially or with mental issues, ruin Louis Midgley's trip to England?! The audacity of this woman is mind boggling. Didn't she know she had no right going to St. Paul's Cathedral looking and smelling offensive to Louis Midgley?

My God! What's wrong with these poor people?
This is really sad. 😢

For claiming to be someone who follows Jesus, he sure wasn’t acting very Christ-like.
"Yo 148, 3-to-the-3-to-the-6-to-the-9. Representin' the ABQ. What up, biatch? Leave it at the tone!" ;)
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

There are a lot of people like that in the UK. Either that or that woman gets around. He must have had a really good experience for that to be the downfall of the trip.