"Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Nimrod
Star B

"Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine"

Post by Nimrod »

For those who have not seen or do not recall this line and the scene in which it was couched in the 1983 movie A Christmas Story, protagonist Ralphie decoded a message of importance using his decoder ring shortly after getting a letter that he was now a member of the Little Orphan Annie secret society: "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine." Ralphie was disillusioned. It was nothing more than an advertisement.

For me, the lead up to going to the LDS temple to "get my endowments" was attended by as much excitement and anticipation as Ralphie experienced as he was about to decipher and then deciphering the important message--well, so much of the deciphering up to the point he realized it was just an advertisement. For me, the temple 'secrets,' tokens and ceremony landed with a big thud of disappointment, even if not as directly an advertisement for the LDS church as perhaps the message Ralphie decoded was for Ovaltine. "That's it?" I wondered. No mysteries unfolded. It seemed ritualistic and weird, for sure. But the temple silliness was necessary to gain exaltation? Really? I walked out feeling empty and hollow. That's all?

Without talking specifics of what goes on (a taboo for this Terrestrial Forum), my interest is more in the reactions to that first time getting your endowment (not just a baptism for the dead). Did it meet your expectations? Were you all Twitter-pated? Were you like me, severely disappointed? Were you angry? Or what in the middle was your reaction?
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
drumdude
God

Re: "Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine"

Post by drumdude »

I had the benefit of viewing Mike Norton’s temple videos before I went through the temple. I have often wondered what my reaction would have been without it.

I think it allowed me to be comfortably uncomfortable with the whole experience.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

I was more confused than anything. I was taken aback by how at variance it was with the religion in which I'd been raised.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Failed Prophecy
Sunbeam

Post by Failed Prophecy »

I was a big fan of Nibley before I went, so I expected to be wowed, since he had made such a big deal about the connections between the endowment and ancient rites and religions. I was baffled by the whole thing, but I assumed that with more study it would become clearer. I continued to read Nibley and attend but never got any answers.

I finally learned the point of the whole thing when listening to Mormon Expressions. Too bad the only way for Mormons to learn about their faith in many cases is to listen to critical voices.
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

Failed Prophecy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:24 pm
I was a big fan of Nibley before I went, so I expected to be wowed, since he had made such a big deal about the connections between the endowment and ancient rites and religions. I was baffled by the whole thing, but I assumed that with more study it would become clearer. I continued to read Nibley and attend but never got any answers.

I finally learned the point of the whole thing when listening to Mormon Expressions. Too bad the only way for Mormons to learn about their faith in many cases is to listen to critical voices.
What was the point of the whole thing that you learned by listening to Mormon Expressions?
Apologists try to shill an explanation to questioning members as though science and reason really explain and buttress their professed faith. It [sic] does not. By definition, faith is the antithesis of science and reason. Apologetics is a further deception by faith peddlers to keep power and influence.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I'd read anti-lit and Nibley to some extent, I had enough hints as to what went on that it didn't bother me that much. But I wasn't drawn to it either. I suppose you could say the few temple experiences I had were ultimately neutral. Far more negative was the prospect of wearing G's the rest of my life. I was certainly used to the idea of wearing them. My dad lounged around in his G's all the time at home, and so there was nothing unexpected about them. But it never settled with me; it felt weird and cultish. having them in my drawer -- they just looked weird. It was kind of like, it wasn't weird that my parents wore them or that other people did, but it was weird for me to wear them. Not meant for me.
Nimrod
Star B

Post by Nimrod »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:52 am
I'd read anti-lit and Nibley to some extent, I had enough hints as to what went on that it didn't bother me that much. But I wasn't drawn to it either. I suppose you could say the few temple experiences I had were ultimately neutral. Far more negative was the prospect of wearing G's the rest of my life. I was certainly used to the idea of wearing them. My dad lounged around in his G's all the time at home, and so there was nothing unexpected about them. But it never settled with me; it felt weird and cultish. having them in my drawer -- they just looked weird. It was kind of like, it wasn't weird that my parents wore them or that other people did, but it was weird for me to wear them. Not meant for me.
How long did you wear those angel chaps before shedding them for good?