On being alone

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
Prophet

Re: On being alone

Post by msnobody »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:54 am
msnobody wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:09 pm
I see it in you guys all the time, but I respect that you may or may not see it in yourself/yourselves.
:roll: I disagree. in my opinion, your statement here is not showing respect for others any more than your first one was.
Which part is it that you find disrespectful?

1. Men are created in the image of God (imago dei); possess his communicable attributes?
2. That I see God’s communicable attributes in others?
3. That some may not see God’s communicable attributes in themselves?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:34 pm
msnobody wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:19 pm
Although polluted by sin, that is the imago dei in all of us.
I'm glad it works for you, and while it may be the image in you, it is NOT what "all of us" consider to be the image in all of us.
Marcus, perhaps you could explain a bit what you are hearing and being offended by here, I am missing it. On the surface I just see msnobody did not claim "all of us" consider anything. She commented on what she sees as the image of God in us.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:31 am
Marcus wrote:
I'm glad it works for you, and while it may be the image in you, it is NOT what "all of us" consider to be the image in all of us.
Marcus, perhaps you could explain a bit what you are hearing and being offended by here, I am missing it. On the surface I just see msnobody did not claim "all of us" consider anything. She commented on what she sees as the image of God in us.
Maybe a better choice of words on my part could have been recognize versus respect.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:31 am
Marcus wrote:
I'm not offended, I just disagree in that I do not believe there is "the imago dei" in me, because I don't believe a god exists. To me, using terms of one's belief and suggesting that those beliefs describe everyone's condition ("all of us") inaccurately describes and borders on usurping other's rights to describe themselves.

I would have no problem with and would probably be interested in hearing her describe herself as believing she has "the imago dei" in herself and how that might define or influence her. What she assumes about how something (which I consider imaginary) might affect me (it won't) is not part of that.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:04 am
msnobody wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:14 pm
What do you suppose would cause Mr. Hancock (we have to assume based on the atheist chaplain’s prayer) to hope for oblivion upon death?
To many atheists, the idea of not existing after death is just as peaceful as not existing before birth.

You and I were in oblivion for billions of years. It caused none of us one bit of inconvenience or pain. It’s a natural thing to want the end to dovetail nicely into that beginning.
drumdude, for a first bit I reacted as you to the idea of an atheist minister approaching death. Then I reversed and thought it reasonable and appropriate if wished for. Thinking of death as oblivion, I do not wish to presume whether hope or resignation is in view here. People might have mixed feelings. Thinking abstractly, oblivion is not hard. Thinking of my parents, not so easy.
Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night
By Dylan Thomas

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

drumdude wrote:
To many atheists, the idea of not existing after death is just as peaceful as not existing before birth.

You and I were in oblivion for billions of years. It caused none of us one bit of inconvenience or pain. It’s a natural thing to want the end to dovetail nicely into that beginning.
Didn't Mark Twain say the same thing somewhere or other?

I think he put it roughly along the lines of "I am already well accustomed to being dead, since I was, in effect, dead right up to the time I was born, and I did not find it the least uncomfortable."
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Chap wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:58 pm
drumdude wrote:

Didn't Mark Twain say the same thing somewhere or other?

I think he put it roughly along the lines of "I am already well accustomed to being dead, since I was, in effect, dead right up to the time I was born, and I did not find it the least uncomfortable."
Yep. We already know what non-existence feels like.

Mormons will say that was just a sci-fi “memory wipe” but it’s a difference that is not testable. Unless Mormonism starts dipping into Scientology’s lane and starts trying to recover those memories.