Mormon Stories turns to spying…

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Mormon Stories turns to spying…

Post by I Have Questions »

The “Mormon Stories” podcast issued an apology Tuesday after a team member attended Sunday worship services to observe a Latter-day Saint man and his husband and aired an episode detailing the couple’s church participation without their consent.
https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2024/02 ... pologizes/

Completely unacceptable and creepy AF.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Mormon Stories turns to spying…

Post by High Spy »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:44 am
The “Mormon Stories” podcast issued an apology Tuesday after a team member attended Sunday worship services to observe a Latter-day Saint man and his husband and aired an episode detailing the couple’s church participation without their consent.

404 Error There can only be one.
Last edited by High Spy on Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Do reporters need permission to spy and report on others?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:44 am

Yeah it’s weird, man. Could you imagine you book a cruise to the Caribbean and then John Dehlin follows you there …? I could!

Cue an old, fat, bespectacled bearded man, sitting in a chair by the fire, listening to the dulcet tones of Pit Bull on his vinyl record player, as he opens a book. Chapter 1…

“Once upon a time, nestled in the cozy neighborhood of Rainbow Haven, UT, lived a charming gay couple named Alex and Ryan. On the outside they lived vey vanilla lives, but on the inside there were sparkles galore, and boy did they like to sparkle, just on their own terms.

One evening, while perusing vacation options online, Alex stumbled upon an intriguing ad for a "Swingers Cruise!” He excitedly booked tickets, dragging Ryan along for the adventure, because there’s nothing more exciting than a Thursday drag night show ‘Dancing Queen’ and meeting like-minded couples who just want to laugh, dance, and rabbit **** the night away!

As they boarded the ship, they couldn't help but notice a mysterious figure in a shadowy coat, lurking ominously in the background. Assuming it was just another eccentric passenger, they brushed it off and focused on enjoying their vacation.

But as the cruise progressed, the figure, who turned out to be the infamous spy John Dehlin, seemed to be everywhere they went, always just out of reach. Alex and Ryan exchanged nervous glances, wondering if their cover had been compromised.

In a frenzy of paranoia, they concocted elaborate schemes to evade their shadow, including disguises involving feather boas and oversized sunglasses. Little did they know, their attempts at subterfuge only made them more conspicuous.

Finally, on the last night of the cruise, John Dehlin approached them in the ship's lounge, and with a dramatic flourish, he revealed himself as a podcaster who was there to monitor their activities! The couple laughed and asked, “Do you like to watch or something?!”

John Dehlin looked at the floor, scuffed it a bit with his square tipped French cut slipper, and said, “M-m-maybe kinda sorta.”

And so, as they sailed off into the starry night, Alex and Ryan couldn't help but marvel at the unexpected twists and turns of their double life, vanilla by day and sparkle by night, knowing that the next time they do something wild and crazy, John Dehlin will be just around the corner.”

Slow pan to the fat man closing his book. He looks up and away in a wistful fashion, “Sigh, how I love a gustatory journey through a cruise line’s buffet; a veritable symphony of flavors that rival Vivaldi’s Orlando furioso, even.

I recall once, entering the Carnival Cruise’s grand dining hall, that one is immediately ensnared by the sensory symphony that unfolds before them. The aroma of exotic spices dances tantalizingly in the air, beckoning one to partake in the gastronomic extravaganza that awaits.

The buffet, a veritable cornucopia of epicurean delights, is a testament to the culinary prowess of the ship's master chefs. From the delicate intricacies of sushi to the robust flavors of Mediterranean mezze, each dish is a masterpiece in its own right, meticulously crafted to titillate the palate and ignite the senses.

But it is not merely the diversity of offerings that sets this buffet apart; it is the impeccable attention to detail that elevates it to sublime heights. Every ingredient, every garnish, every presentation is executed with precision and finesse, ensuring a feast for both the eyes and the taste buds.

As one navigates the labyrinthine expanse of culinary delights, one cannot help but feel a sense of awe and reverence for the culinary artisans behind this culinary symphony. Their dedication to excellence is evident in every bite, every morsel of culinary perfection that graces the palate.

Anyway, the food was good!”

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Lol Doc .. can tell it's you when I get sucked down into a scenario that makes me smile lol.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Gerardo and I express deep regret and apologize to both Charlie and Ryan, and to the broader Mormon and Ex-Mormon LGBTQ+ communities, for the way we handled this aspect of the episode. Everyone – public figures included – deserves a certain degree of privacy. We are deeply saddened and truly sorry to have played a part in any fear, distress, or division within the Utah LGBTQIA community. Gerardo and I have reached out to Charlie and Ryan directly, and look forward to meeting with them to offer a direct apology if and when they feel ready.

As the host of Mormon Stories Podcast, and as the Executive Director of the Open Stories Foundation, it is ultimately my responsibility to ensure that our podcast episodes conform with our values. For this episode, I clearly failed – and I want to take full responsibility for that. I am sorry – to Charlie and Ryan, to Gerardo, and to the broader community. As an organization, we are in the process of reflecting on this situation more deeply to come up with tangible changes to ensure that nothing like this happens again.

Finally, and most importantly, we remain hopeful that the apparent embrace of Charlie and Ryan, as a married couple, into the warm fellowship of their LDS ward and stake, represents a welcomed shift in LDS policy and doctrine regarding the status and fellowship of LGBTQ Mormons. It has long been the position of Mormon Stories Podcast that Latter-day Saints should not have to choose between the person they love, and their treasured faith.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I really am not surprised. Not at all.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Boomer57
Sunbeam

Post by Boomer57 »

It was investigative journalism. No apology was needed.
' :idea: Give me truth and clarity, not fluff and charity'
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Dehlin's going to have to do more than grow a beard to go incognito.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Boomer57 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:54 pm
It was investigative journalism. No apology was needed.
This is my general feeling as well. Sacrament meetings are public.