Mopologetics and the Concept of “Sheeple”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
huckelberry
God

Re: Mopologetics and the Concept of “Sheeple”

Post by huckelberry »

I Have Questions wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:37 am
It’s a remarkable lack of self awareness. Extolling the virtues of being sheeplike, allowing oneself to be “sheared” without complaint, whilst simultaneously refusing to serve a senior mission. He talks the talk, he does not walk the walk.
I think going on a senior mission is a personal decision. I wish well to people who decide to do that. I completely respect Peterson's choice not to. I am glad he understands being sheeple is not the idea. (and I cannot imagine that that was what he was hoping for with the Isaiah memory.)

Once an important Mormon leader said we teach good principles so people can govern themselves.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Was there more to Dr. Peterson’s post? Please provide a link.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:06 pm
"...Why can’t we get AC (air conditioning for Dr. Shades)?”
My first thought was "how kind of these sheeples to put Dr. Shades' air quality so high their list of concerns..."
but then I remembered Shades' strict adherence to grammar and paid keener attention to the parentheses placement.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Impeccable, as usual.
:lol: here was me thinking Shades didn't know what these things were lol.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Need an ark? I Noah guy! wrote:Dan: It has been an exceptionally beautiful evening, with a nice sunset followed by moonlight on a calm sea, but, whatever the current status of the person who was taken off the boat a few hours ago, there has been considerable pain and sadness aboard the Ovation of the Seas today.

Dan, as you approach the end of your time on earth, have you ever thought about the legacy you would like to leave?
DCP wrote:I'm reasonably confident, by the way, that your pals at the Peterson Obsession Board won't be controlling my legacy.
Need an ark? I Noah guy! wrote: Hope springs eternal, I guess. For better or worse, the POB has already had a major affect on your legacy. For just one example out of many, the threads on plagiarism have already racked up several hundred thousand views and in the next coming decades will probably be viewed millions of more times.

Of course you could be right. You've spend much more time there than I ever will. You've literally spent hundreds of hours a the POB board, racking up almost 13,000 comments, in addition to your daily visits.
One wonders how delusional DCP is that Mopologetics' legacy won't be affected by the online message boards which have carefully catalogued their sins.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 pm
I could confess I started reading this thread questioning the fit of the Isaiah passage with church folks behaving as sheeples. I then thought I was just not respecting the spirit of this thread. After all it is a bit of accomplishment to inject the doldrums of sic and non with some excitement.

Letting myself be less uptight allowed me to enjoy Doc's short story, a stretcher outdoing Twain. I can imagine a real event starting that story. Without the imagination's expansion it might have remained as dusty as sic and non.
Thank you for telling us you read the story.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor, sheeple are the primary audience for Mopologetics. They are its raison d'être. Think about it. They want people who will take the arguments at face value; no pushback. If everyone asked questions, dug into the reference material, read the footnotes, and examined the facts, science and logic carefully, Mopologetics would cease to exist as anything but a diary for the insane.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:18 pm
Doctor, sheeple are the primary audience for Mopologetics. They are its raison d'être. Think about it. They want people who will take the arguments at face value; no pushback. If everyone asked questions, dug into the reference material, read the footnotes, and examined the facts, science and logic carefully, Mopologetics would cease to exist as anything but a diary for the insane.
It is my opinion from experience that "sheeple" are not the audience of apologetics. They don't read or research anything other than at church. I was considered controversial because I was reading beyond the scope of the "normal" church going expectation. But perhaps it's different in different parts of the world.

Edit to clarify: Those that are reading apologetic posts and literature are seeking for information outside of their day to day church reading. Meaning they are thinking more than sheep.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

DCP wrote:I'm reasonably confident, by the way, that your pals at the Peterson Obsession Board won't be controlling my legacy.
:lol: We have shown for decades that it is the church controlling DCP, not others. How long before he gets it? Any bets?
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:18 pm
:lol: We have shown for decades that it is the church controlling DCP, not others. How long before he gets it? Any bets?
What legacy?