Why was the Book of Abraham written in Egyptian and not in Greek?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Why was the Book of Abraham written in Egyptian and not in Greek?

Post by Markk »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 pm
Actually, it didn't even happen in New York then either. It was another story made up by Smith and Harris. In an 1844 letter from Charles Anthon to a Reverend William E. Vibbert, Anthon states:
My remark was flippant remark about Joseph Smith as a translator...but I stand corrected; Vermont or New England would have been more accurate.

My point was that language evolves so much, in order to keep an original text it needs to be updated for accuracy, which Dr. Ritner pointed out in the 13 hour MS/RFM interview.
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Markk wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:45 pm
My point was that language evolves so much, in order to keep an original text it needs to be updated for accuracy, which Dr. Ritner pointed out in the 13 hour MS/RFM interview.
I agree. Smith consistently relied on a very limited 19th century view of the world to produce scripture. And, I think, he greatly underestimated what it took to learn a new language like Hebrew or Greek, let alone try and translate a language like Egyptian that no one else could. He spent the last few months in 1835 trying to create his own translation of the papyrus he had and only produced the gibberish we now see in the KEP plus the beginings of the Book of Abraham. He thought he could create his own Egyptian chrestomathy, similar to the Hebrew ones he owned from Seixas, Gibbs & Stuart and since he thought Hebrew and Greek were very close to Egyptian, any Egyptian lexicon would have the similar text in it as the Hebrew version. So, he took a story line from Josephus, added in Hebrew words from his Hebrew lexicons and cobbled together the first 1 1/2 chapters of the Book of Abraham. In addition to all the other problems with this, I think claiming the text was in Egyptian is problematic. In all likelihood it would have been in Greek.
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:40 pm
Markk wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:45 pm
I agree. Smith consistently relied on a very limited 19th century view of the world to produce scripture. And, I think, he greatly underestimated what it took to learn a new language like Hebrew or Greek, let alone try and translate a language like Egyptian that no one else could. He spent the last few months in 1835 trying to create his own translation of the papyrus he had and only produced the gibberish we now see in the KEP plus the beginings of the Book of Abraham. He thought he could create his own Egyptian chrestomathy, similar to the Hebrew ones he owned from Seixas, Gibbs & Stuart and since he thought Hebrew and Greek were very close to Egyptian, any Egyptian lexicon would have the similar text in it as the Hebrew version. So, he took a story line from Josephus, added in Hebrew words from his Hebrew lexicons and cobbled together the first 1 1/2 chapters of the Book of Abraham. In addition to all the other problems with this, I think claiming the text was in Egyptian is problematic. In all likelihood it would have been in Greek.
I am more cynical. As I said earlier I honestly believe Smith had ADHA and just went for it without much planning or organizational skills. I would believe that he did not underestimate what it took to learn a language, which he obviously did in hindsight. I would say he simply did not care, and that it was not his intent. I believe because of the interest in those days of Egypt, and the mysteries it presented...he saw a opportunity and jumped all over it.

Right or wrong, LOL most likely wrong...I don't think for one minute he thought he could translate anything. I believe his motive was to make others believe he could. He could not have done that with Greek or Hebrew...but he could with Egyptian and he did, and to this day there are still those that believe he could. He tried in the letter to the Green Mountain Boys, but I think that was for just political reasons, and even that show a impulsive plea which was not thought out much in context.

I did not know he owned the lexicon, I know he studied with Joshua Seixas, but that is interesting, I will look that up...thanks!

For your musing...some signs of ADHD. I would love to here Brent Metcalf touch on this, I know he struggles with it.

Impulsiveness
Disorganization and problems prioritizing
Poor time management skills
Problems focusing on a task
Trouble multitasking
Excessive activity or restlessness
Poor planning
Low frustration tolerance
Frequent mood swings
Problems following through and completing tasks
Hot temper

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20350878
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Markk wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:42 pm
I am more cynical. As I said earlier I honestly believe Smith had ADHA and just went for it without much planning or organizational skills.
"ADHA" = "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Aisorder?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:45 am
Markk wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:42 pm
I am more cynical. As I said earlier I honestly believe Smith had ADHA and just went for it without much planning or organizational skills.
"Attention Deficit Homewners Association"? They get snarky if you finish mowing your lawn?
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:08 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:45 am
"Attention Deficit Homewners Association"? They get snarky if you finish mowing your lawn?
LOL, for me, because I have a little Mr. Monk in me, I get snarky if I do not end up with an even last run when mowing my lawns.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Markk wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:33 pm
It was in my opinion part of his con, again con meaning always looking for an angle. It would have been interesting to see where he would have went with this if he was not murdered...The Book of Joseph?
Yes, well, I do not see him as a simple con man. He is too consistent in his system to be a mere con man. I am not saying this means we should trust him or see him as right. But he is pretty consistent in his interest in Egyptian and the figure of Joseph. You hit the nail on the head. My theory about the Book of Abraham, in fact, is that he viewed it as part of a larger record that had been edited by Joseph much like Mormon edited the Book of Mormon. There are allusions to Joseph in the Book of Abraham, which makes me think that as Joseph Smith conceived it, Abraham should point toward Joseph, and this is yet another reason why he is emphasizing the Egyptian side of things, even though, from our perspective, that might not make a lot of sense.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Markk
1st Quorum of 70

Post by Markk »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:10 pm
Markk wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:33 pm
It was in my opinion part of his con, again con meaning always looking for an angle. It would have been interesting to see where he would have went with this if he was not murdered...The Book of Joseph?
Yes, well, I do not see him as a simple con man. He is too consistent in his system to be a mere con man. I am not saying this means we should trust him or see him as right. But he is pretty consistent in his interest in Egyptian and the figure of Joseph. You hit the nail on the head. My theory about the Book of Abraham, in fact, is that he viewed it as part of a larger record that had been edited by Joseph much like Mormon edited the Book of Mormon. There are allusions to Joseph in the Book of Abraham, which makes me think that as Joseph Smith conceived it, Abraham should point toward Joseph, and this is yet another reason why he is emphasizing the Egyptian side of things, even though, from our perspective, that might not make a lot of sense.
I have to chew on your saying he is too consistent. He is, but again is not. Joseph was "a walking contradiction" (Kris Kristofferson said that about Johnny Cash), complicated yet simple.

Yes in some ways he is very consistent, I think, yet in others ways he is 1,000% scattered and reactionary and not proactive. I believe the latter is reflected in his revelations, he was always one step in front of the reaper. The former in that he was consistent in drive for sure. Was he consistent in vision? Again I have chew on this. What do you see him as being most consistent in? What was his system? Those are great questions you bring out.

A mere con man, no way, I agree with you on that. More of pious and charlatan type of conman, calculated yet very reactionary. Street Smart?

Thanks.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The story takes place in the Land of Make-Believe, located somewhere in the human imagination. Therefore, it makes sense that it should be written in some form of unknown Egyptian script. People in the real world knew Greek.

Logical questions do not affect the Land of Make-Believe by decree of the SeN Substantive Discussion Bureau.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:12 am
The story takes place in the Land of Make-Believe, located somewhere in the human imagination. Therefore, it makes sense that it should be written in some form of unknown Egyptian script. People in the real world knew Greek.

Logical questions do not affect the Land of Make-Believe by decree of the SeN Substantive Discussion Bureau.
Good Point ❕The Land of Make Believe is patterned after Abraham 4:18 or what Murray Head said “Thank God I’m only watching the game, controlling it.”