John Larsen leaves Mormonism (again)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: John Larsen leaves Mormonism (again)

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:19 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:30 pm
I wish John Larsen much luck with his new farming venture:

John's dog is going to be loving it:

I wish him much success with that. We tried and never got any tomatoes.
My kids plant tomato seeds every spring and by late summer there's always more tomatoes that they eat. They tend to pick some when they are still green sometimes. I think those first tomatoes are hard to resist lol.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:03 pm
tl;dc - John Dehlin asked.
tl;dc = "Too long, didn't cead?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Wonhyo
CTR A

Post by Wonhyo »

Mormonism can be an exhausting phenomenon. Believers tend to talk about it almost unawares because the church animates them in every aspect. Critics tend to let Mormonism dominate their minds for a long time even after leaving it.

John Larsen noted in his farewell YouTube post that the topic of Mormonism is now much less important to him than it was, and that he feels like it's time to leave it by the riverside. Perhaps he'll come back for another round one day when the church pulls some fresh shenanigans. But it's probably a healthy step for us to leave something as toxic as Mormonism by the side of the proverbial trail and journey on without it.
"There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.”
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Wonhyo wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:46 pm
Mormonism can be an exhausting phenomenon. Believers tend to talk about it almost unawares because the church animates them in every aspect. Critics tend to let Mormonism dominate their minds for a long time even after leaving it.

John Larsen noted in his farewell YouTube post that the topic of Mormonism is now much less important to him than it was, and that he feels like it's time to leave it by the riverside. Perhaps he'll come back for another round one day when the church pulls some fresh shenanigans. But it's probably a healthy step for us to leave something as toxic as Mormonism by the side of the proverbial trail and journey on without it.
I wholeheartedly agree that it is good to do what is best for one's self in this regard. If you are bored with television, turn it off and go do something else. If you are tired of spending endless hours in the gym, a little mindless tv never hurt anyone. My intensity of interest in Mormonism has waxed and waned over the years. Sometimes I am animated and intensely involved, other times I would much rather spend my time on other things.

Whether Mormonism must be toxic is another question. Every group has its problems, and I think the biggest problem Mormonism has today is its entanglement with the Christo-fascists. And that relationship is not happenstance. It is a conscious decision that is and has been made by top leaders in the LDS Church who set the agenda for the entire organization. As it turns out, the people who have been fighting the ludicrously monikered "gay agenda" and fighting for the nuclear family are primed to make Trump a dictator and squelch free speech by using the military to crack down on dissent. Maybe LDS leaders should step back from the precipice of disaster before it is too late. It may be time to be a little more explicit in distancing themselves from the Jesus Nazis of our times.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:01 pm
As it turns out, the people who have been fighting the ludicrously monikered "gay agenda" and fighting for the nuclear family are primed to make Trump a dictator and squelch free speech by using the military to crack down on dissent.
You’re not serious about that last part, are you?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:18 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:01 pm
As it turns out, the people who have been fighting the ludicrously monikered "gay agenda" and fighting for the nuclear family are primed to make Trump a dictator and squelch free speech by using the military to crack down on dissent.
You’re not serious about that last part, are you?
Remind me, what was that stuff about Trump being urged to use the Insurrection Act on becoming President, to enable himself to call on the military to deal with any organised opposition to his policies?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Chap wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:04 pm
Remind me, what was that stuff about Trump being urged to use the Insurrection Act on becoming President, to enable himself to call on the military to deal with any organised opposition to his policies?
“That stuff” was a lame conspiracy theory, on par with the whole Q Anon thing.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:39 pm
Chap wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:04 pm
“That stuff” was a lame conspiracy theory, on par with the whole Q Anon thing.
Some well-known supporters who publicly voiced support for President Trump's potential use of the Insurrection Act during his presidency follow:

Michael Flynn: Trump's former National Security Advisor, who suggested in a December 2020 interview with Newsmax that Trump could use the military to rerun elections in swing states.

Attorney Lin Wood: A pro-Trump lawyer who called for Trump to declare martial law and invoke the Insurrection Act in December 2020, alleging widespread election fraud.

Sidney Powell: Another pro-Trump lawyer who supported the idea of invoking the Insurrection Act to overturn the election results, claiming widespread fraud.

These individuals were vocal in their support for drastic measures to challenge the election results and address what they perceived as irregularities. Granted, their views were not universally shared among Trump supporters - some prominent Republicans and conservatives opposed such actions, I’m sure - but other like Gaetz, MTG, Boebert, Cotton, and hundreds, if not thousands, of low level GOP officials, donors, and supporters urged Trump to do it. You asleep in 2020?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:37 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:03 pm
tl;dc - John Dehlin asked.
tl;dc = "Too long, didn't cead?"
I’ve explained “tl;dc” to you before. If you’re too detached to either read a response to you or to remember it, well, that’s on you, bro.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:03 pm
Some well-known supporters who publicly voiced support for President Trump's potential use of the Insurrection Act during his presidency follow:

Michael Flynn: Trump's former National Security Advisor, who suggested in a December 2020 interview with Newsmax that Trump could use the military to rerun elections in swing states.

Attorney Lin Wood: A pro-Trump lawyer who called for Trump to declare martial law and invoke the Insurrection Act in December 2020, alleging widespread election fraud.

Sidney Powell: Another pro-Trump lawyer who supported the idea of invoking the Insurrection Act to overturn the election results, claiming widespread fraud.

These individuals were vocal in their support for drastic measures to challenge the election results and address what they perceived as irregularities. Granted, their views were not universally shared among Trump supporters - some prominent Republicans and conservatives opposed such actions, I’m sure - but other like Gaetz, MTG, Boebert, Cotton, and hundreds, if not thousands, of low level GOP officials, donors, and supporters urged Trump to do it. You asleep in 2020?

- Doc
Are you telling us that Trump people talking about it isn’t just a “conspiracy theory”? LOL.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow