Carthage conspiracy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
zeezrom
Nursery

Carthage conspiracy

Post by zeezrom »

Hey fabulous discussionsts,

I just watched this TikTok about a Carthage conspiracy : https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8oc4g4N/

I've never heard such an idea. In short summary, Joseph Smith wasn't killed by any mob members. Curious if this has been discussed or researched much?
Nevo
Nursery

Re: Carthage conspiracy

Post by Nevo »

Yes, it has been discussed. It's completely inane. It has as much credibility as the theories that Kennedy was shot by his own Secret Service agents or his wife.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Nevo wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:04 am
Yes, it has been discussed. It's completely inane. It has as much credibility as the theories that Kennedy was shot by his own Secret Service agents or his wife.
Or that Joe Smith wasn’t a polygamist!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

zeezrom wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:04 am
Hey fabulous discussionsts,

I just watched this TikTok about a Carthage conspiracy : https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8oc4g4N/

I've never heard such an idea. In short summary, Joseph Smith wasn't killed by any mob members. Curious if this has been discussed or researched much?
Great to see you, zeez! The podcast Mormon Discussions provided some excellent coverage of this. They don't buy it, but they gave it a fair treatment. For the record, I view it to be a conspiracy theory lacking in credibility and evidentiary support.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Equality
CTR B

Post by Equality »

Didn't Dallin Oaks write a book with that title?
zeezrom
Nursery

Post by zeezrom »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:45 pm
Great to see you, zeez! The podcast Mormon Discussions provided some excellent coverage of this. They don't buy it, but they gave it a fair treatment. For the record, I view it to be a conspiracy theory lacking in credibility and evidentiary support.
Thanks for pointing me to it. I'll check it out.

After I watched that YouTube series (link below), I was pretty convinced that Hyrum was shot by small bullets from a little pistol not big rifles of the day. What do most people say now about the types of gun used to kill Hyrum? I'm guessing I need to listen to the podcast so I don't feel the need to drop a spoiler! :D I'll start listening. Thanks.

Here is the link to the series I watched. Some of it was really annoying. I didn't like watching it but I wanted to know what he found.

https://youtu.be/bXfTw01ogPk?si=S9VFauKPn2E_BWhb
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

zeezrom wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:40 am
Thanks for pointing me to it. I'll check it out.

After I watched that YouTube series (link below), I was pretty convinced that Hyrum was shot by small bullets from a little pistol not big rifles of the day. What do most people say now about the types of gun used to kill Hyrum? I'm guessing I need to listen to the podcast so I don't feel the need to drop a spoiler! :D I'll start listening. Thanks.

Here is the link to the series I watched. Some of it was really annoying. I didn't like watching it but I wanted to know what he found.

https://youtu.be/bXfTw01ogPk?si=S9VFauKPn2E_BWhb
I believe the Mormon Discussions podcast had the filmmaker on to discuss his theory with them. That would make listening to their coverage of this film and its theory more worthwhile to you.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
zeezrom
Nursery

Post by zeezrom »

I listened to the podcast. It was helpful to understand the importance of experts weighing in.

I ended up also learning that John Larson gave up religious discussions for good. Just when I started listening.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

The presentation is way too slow for my limited curiosity. I think it would be difficult to get details of a chaotic violent situation entirely clear. What is the upshot of this puzzle? I mean I'm sure a few sentences could be produced by somebody to explain.