Saving Christianity from Christo-fascism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tacenda
Sunbeam

Re: Saving Christianity from Christo-fascism

Post by Tacenda »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:10 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:12 pm
I want to thank all of those Christians and LDS Christians who stand up against Christo-fascism. One way of doing this is by shining a bright light on its heresies. Christo-fascism and Christian Nationalism are not Christian. Those folks who go in for these faddish trends in Christianity that are all about grabbing secular power to force everyone to be Christian (meaning here: to live by Christian rules) are a return to some of the darkest historical trends in Christianity, such as Christian imperialism and colonialism. The apostle Paul became a Christian because of a revelation he had on the road to Damascus, not because someone forced him at the point of a sword. People should not be forced to conform to the beliefs of others in matters where there can be little certainty and agreement. We are not all Christian, and therefore it makes little sense to insist on laws that force a distinctly Christian lifestyle on non-believers. The truth is that the insistence on idiosyncratic virtue by compulsion reveals the weakness and lack of faith of those who would compel the rest of us.
The linked paper has a pretty good description of the New Apostolic Reformation, which is the growing movement within Christianity that believes its members will conquer every aspect of the world before Christ returns. It includes seven mountains domininism and spiritual warfare. They believe that their opponents are literally possessed by demons. They are attempting to raise an army of young people who are ready to die in the war to reclaim the earth for Christ. And they are not just active in the U.S. They are also active in other countries, including sub-saharan Africa, which is expected to produce the greatest number of Christians over the next few decades. It is not a coincidence that some of the harshest laws aimed at gay folks are being enacted in sub-Saharan African countries.

The movement is led by apostles and prophet who say they speak directly to Jesus Christ and are implementing his will.

If this sounds like Visions of Glory, Chad and Lori Daybell, Julie Rowe, and others on the extreme fringes of Mormonism, well, it should. Chad and Lori are Exhibit A to what happens when people become convinced they are engaged in spiritual warfare and that their opponents are possessed by demons.

Huck, I'm agnostic on the question of whether members of any group are responsible for the extremists that tend to evolve in almost every group. in my opinion, learn about the movement, watch for its influence, and push when you see a chance to do so. It's what I do with the bomb throwing anarchists or Marxists that show up to every gathering of folks on the left.
Agree, and some of them are saying the upcoming eclipse is a sign the world is coming to the end.
huckelberry
God

Re: Saving Christianity from Christo-fascism

Post by huckelberry »

Tacenda wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:16 pm
Agree, and some of them are saying the upcoming eclipse is a sign the world is coming to the end.
I have seen two total solar eclipses in my life. I am not likely to travel and see another but the ones I saw were memorable events. The light changes which happen just before totality are unlike any other time I know. There is full sunlight but it gains a red tint and then seems to thin and fade and fade. You could imaging the world fading away right before your eyes. Then the twilight shadow arrives. Of course light then returns and after a bit things return to normal. Sort of like anticipated end of the world events.