History of Mormonism and Christo-fascism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

History of Mormonism and Christo-fascism

Post by Kishkumen »

We need to see a lot more good work done on the role that LDS people and organizations have played in the emergence and evolution of Christo-fascism. Just today, I learned that Cleon Skousen was a close friend of the Moral Majority's Jerry Falwell. Check out these quotes:
Reverend Jerry Falwell and Dr. Skousen are close, personal friends. Brother Skousen invited him to speak at one of our big get-togethers on July 4th, 1980. Reverend Falwell uses a lot of our (Freemen Institute's) material. We are an education foundation. . . . We send our monthly materials to Reverend Falwell. He especially likes our basic course entitled, "Miracle of America," which is a history of our Constitution from the time of the Anglo-Saxons to the present in 13 hours of cassette tapes. He also likes anything Dr. Skousen may write (Interview with the Vice-President of the Freemen Institute, Salt Lake City, Utah, December 16, 1983).
"Every conservative group in the country relies on the Freemen Institute for the best quality research on Constitutional questions," Falwell said in a news conference prior to an "I Love America" rally at the Utah state capitol. "I have the highest respect for the work of the Institute, and feel we agree on everything."
Jerry Falwell wrote:"We have to do what Dr. Skousen says . . . teach the principles of the Founding Fathers"
Cal Thomas, secretary of the Moral Majority wrote:In 1981 I went out to Salt Lake City and had dinner with Dr. Skousen. We spent a great deal of time together discussing all the things we had in common. We reviewed a lot of their material, and he gave us a lot to take back with us. I found Dr. Skousen's brief on the social security system especially interesting. Reverend Falwell liked it, too. More material was sent to us later on. There may come a situation in the future where both of us . . . may have to be co-combatives together and pool our resources to defend those principles we believe in so much. It is very probable that this could happen under the right kind of situation.
These quotes are taken from "Mormonism and the New Christian Right: An Emerging Coalition," by Anson Shupe and John Heiner Review of Religious Research 27.2 (1985) 146-157.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
huckelberry
God

Re: History of Mormonism and Christo-fascism

Post by huckelberry »

Interesting information Kishkumen. I found myself surprised by the degree of common ideas appearing in Apostolic Reformation and Mormon restoration. Back with the growth of tv Christianity I watched some with curiosity. I was surprised by revelations being claimed. I have not really kept close notice in the last 20 years but YouTube fragments have suggested a growth in some folks’ authoritarian claims or suggestions.

I have some inclination to think of the movement as a house of cards. I hope that is not just a lame excuse to avoid drumdude’s request for more active resistance.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:33 pm
Interesting information Kishkumen. I found myself surprised by the degree of common ideas appearing in Apostolic Reformation and Mormon restoration. Back with the growth of tv Christianity I watched some with curiosity. I was surprised by revelations being claimed. I have not really kept close notice in the last 20 years but YouTube fragments have suggested a growth in some folks’ authoritarian claims or suggestions.

I have some inclination to think of the movement as a house of cards. I hope that is not just a lame excuse to avoid drumdude’s request for more active resistance.
It feels like it’s picking up steam, to me anyway. Just see how frustrated DCP gets with Mormons who are in love with Trump. Dan is in the minority of Conservatives who dare to even speak up about it.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Indeed the entire right-wing nutjob enterprise is significantly rooted in Skousen. Back in the day, when I was waiting for the apocalypse to start, I was somewhat of a fan of Skousen. At least, I became familiar with his work, and we had some of his books at the bottom of a pile at the home gospel library. I also had a friend who shared my interest, and in fact, he was connected to extremist sources and funneled me all kinds of stuff, from books to tape recordings and VHS recordings of lectures and apostate firesides. Most of it was Mormon, but not all. There was some stuff from extremist EV preachers who had the utmost respect for Cleon Skousen. I remember feeling proud that Mormonism was so central to the cause.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:31 am
Indeed the entire right-wing nutjob enterprise is significantly rooted in Skousen. Back in the day, when I was waiting for the apocalypse to start, I was somewhat of a fan of Skousen. At least, I became familiar with his work, and we had some of his books at the bottom of a pile at the home gospel library. I also had a friend who shared my interest, and in fact, he was connected to extremist sources and funneled me all kinds of stuff, from books to tape recordings and VHS recordings of lectures and apostate firesides. Most of it was Mormon, but not all. There was some stuff from extremist EV preachers who had the utmost respect for Cleon Skousen. I remember feeling proud that Mormonism was so central to the cause.
Fascinating, Dean Robbers. I had no idea that Skousen was so widely revered among extremist kooks of various stripes. This is new to me. I read some of his books back in the day. His weird and sometimes grotesque ideas about race were a definite turn-off. His British Israelism was definitely out there. My first inkling of his influence came at the end of my mission, when I ran into a friend who was in the wider orbit of Lyndon LaRouche. Over lunch he asked me, "Do you know why LaRouche would call Cleon Skousen one of the greatest Americans of all time?" Frankly, I was totally stumped.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow