Eternal marriage & temple endowment handshakes, tokens, signs & passwords

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: Eternal marriage & temple endowment handshakes, tokens, signs & passwords

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:23 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:11 pm
Taxes are offensive. Not the fact that people are taxed but because everything is taxed multiple times. We pay tax for living on the land, we pay tax when we earn wages, we pay tax on everything we buy with the already taxed wages, if people have extra bedrooms they pay empty bedroom tax, we pay tax on inheritance, tax on winnings, road tax for cars, I'm pretty sure there are more. We pay for rainfall by the way. They decide how much rainfall tax you pay by the size of your garden and how much it rains. It's not called a tax but that is essentially what it is. I was shocked to see that on the water bill. We basically pay for the earth supplying them with water that they sell to us, clean and resell to us over and over. Lol.
Yes, it is hard to sit down and take in all the ways we pay out our hard-earned money to various government entities. It is also hard not to get upset about it, even if you generally appreciate those benefits that do come from taxes.
True. But why not just do one tax instead of taxing everything and anything. You have to pay to have American bulldogs here now.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:29 pm
True. But why not just do one tax instead of taxing everything and anything. You have to pay to have American bulldogs here now.
They prefer that you have the burden of dealing with all that complexity as opposed to them figuring out how to divvy out one pot of money.

Can someone pay me to maintain my English bull terrier?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:34 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:29 pm
They prefer that you have the burden of dealing with all that complexity as opposed to them figuring out how to divvy out one pot of money.

Can someone pay me to maintain my English bull terrier?
Probably.

Sorry... I didn't explain about the dogs well. Obviously all dogs are paid for and maintained... What I mean is the laws for American bull dogs in the UK have changed. Not sure who is British here. They might know better than me. But basically, they have to be insured and you have to neuter them and get a certificate in order to keep one. I think they have to be trained and have to wear a muzzle and people are having them taken off them. A lot have been euthanised (sp?) and abandoned. Can't sell them, swap them, relocate them, can't breed them. The neutering cost is ridiculous.

And it's so sad to see because people are acting scared of them now. I was walking and a woman literally stopped about 3 meters away from me and waited for me to go into my garden because she didn't want to bring her clearly lovely dog near me. My friend has 3 dogs. Two are this breed and she is scared to take them walks. They don't go out other than in their garden now but the other dog still goes on walks. It's an injustice.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:02 pm
Probably.

Sorry... I didn't explain about the dogs well. Obviously all dogs are paid for and maintained... What I mean is the laws for American bull dogs in the UK have changed. Not sure who is British here. They might know better than me. But basically, they have to be insured and you have to neuter them and get a certificate in order to keep one. I think they have to be trained and have to wear a muzzle and people are having them taken off them. A lot have been euthanised (sp?) and abandoned. Can't sell them, swap them, relocate them, can't breed them. The neutering cost is ridiculous.

And it's so sad to see because people are acting scared of them now. I was walking and a woman literally stopped about 3 meters away from me and waited for me to go into my garden because she didn't want to bring her clearly lovely dog near me. My friend has 3 dogs. Two are this breed and she is scared to take them walks. They don't go out other than in their garden now but the other dog still goes on walks. It's an injustice.
Gotcha. I was kidding about by English bull terrier, who receives more and better healthcare than I do. I am sad about the pit bulls in the US, who are demonized and often abandoned. I volunteer at a shelter for such dogs and it breaks my heart to see some of these sweet animals living in lonely, hard isolation.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

malkie wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:41 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:47 am
You're replying to Kishkumen, but I can't help but think you're making a pointed comment about someone else...
I haven't had much to say in this thread, but I definitely see myself reflected in Res' comment - and I don't much like what I see.

Thanks, Res! (no sarcasm, ok?)
Res sees himself reflected in Res's comment. We're talking about cognitive biases that were likely features in the past but are bugs today. in my opinion, it takes a great deal of effort to apply a consistent level of skepticism to things we want to be true as opposed to things we don't want to be true. And, despite our best efforts, I think it's nearly impossible to know whether we're being consistent without feedback from someone else. The best method I've heard of is a buddy system described by a University of Washington professor in his book Calling BS.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:42 pm
Nope. Not having that. You’re suggesting that, if I take a view that the feelings of relatives who object to their loved ones names being used without permission in Mormon rituals should be respected, then I must also take the view that people who are offended by paying taxes should receive equal empathy from me. You can’t be serious.

Let me play it back to you - if you take the position that people who feel harmed by Mormon rituals using their ancestors names without position are wrong to feel harmed, then you must equally take the position that anyone run over by a car has no right to feel harmed.

Bonkers.
Taxes are offensive. Not the fact that people are taxed but because everything is taxed multiple times. We pay tax for living on the land, we pay tax when we earn wages, we pay tax on everything we buy with the already taxed wages, if people have extra bedrooms they pay empty bedroom tax, we pay tax on inheritance, tax on winnings, road tax for cars, I'm pretty sure there are more. We pay for rainfall by the way. They decide how much rainfall tax you pay by the size of your garden and how much it rains. It's not called a tax but that is essentially what it is. I was shocked to see that on the water bill. We basically pay for the earth supplying them with water that they sell to us, clean and resell to us over and over. Lol.
So move to a country whose tax regime you are more comfortable with. That’s a choice you have. Or live off-grid without those taxable services. Or downsize you’re property. Have fewer, smaller cars. The point is, you can make informed choices. People whose relatives' names are being harvested, aren’t being given a choice.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I Have Questions wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:44 pm
People whose relatives' names are being harvested, aren’t being given a choice.
I could see a system in which trusts are created for all living and dead persons into which individuals and entities must pay a small fee every time the name is used for the collection of data, for advertising, or any other purpose. If we are going to put the use of names and other personal information out of bounds without consent, we have to be consistent across the board. It's not just the Mormons doing it. Our information is used all the time. If corporate entities and individuals had to pay for the privilege of using those names, perhaps they would not be so careless and profligate about it.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

I Have Questions wrote:
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
So move to a country whose tax regime you are more comfortable with. That’s a choice you have. Or live off-grid without those taxable services. Or downsize you’re property. Have fewer, smaller cars. The point is, you can make informed choices. People whose relatives' names are being harvested, aren’t being given a choice.
Touched a nerve?

Yeah, I'll just move country, that's doable lol. I'm afraid moving country is not an option but thanks for the suggestion.

I pay the tax, I live with it. Just feels odd to pay tax on things that are already taxed. My property is private let and actually is cheaper than smaller properties available at this time so moving to a smaller place for more a month feels pointless. I have zero cars. And my views are more on your side about the baptisms so why you are being abrupt with me, I don't know.
I Have Questions
1st Counselor

Post by I Have Questions »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:01 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
Touched a nerve?
Not at all.
Yeah, I'll just move country, that's doable lol. I'm afraid moving country is not an option but thanks for the suggestion.

I pay the tax, I live with it. Just feels odd to pay tax on things that are already taxed. My property is private let and actually is cheaper than smaller properties available at this time so moving to a smaller place for more a month feels pointless. I have zero cars. And my views are more on your side about the baptisms so why you are being abrupt with me, I don't know.
If I’ve come across as abrupt, I apologise. I was making the point (badly maybe) that with taxes as an example, there are choices for people. The relatives of people who’s names are being harvested by Mormonism don't, because they don’t know their relatives names are being used.
Last edited by I Have Questions on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:25 pm
I Have Questions wrote:
People whose relatives names are being harvested, aren’t being given a choice.
I could see a system in which trusts are created for all living and dead persons into which individuals and entities must pay a small fee every time the name is used for the collection of data, for advertising, or any other purpose. If we are going to put the use of names and other personal information out of bounds without consent, we have to be consistent across the board. It's not just the Mormons doing it. Our information is used all the time. If corporate entities and individuals had to pay for the privilege of using those names, perhaps they would not be so careless and profligate about it.
That probably wouldn't apply to unknown people if that was something to be done. Maybe for famous people. But that would be a sad world. It's already a pain having to unclick all the vendors that want my cookies. Not much point paying a dead person to use their name, that would mean people would have to inherit people's name rights and the world is already full of paperwork and red tape. Imagine families arguing about who gets the pot for their relatives name?