(Auto)biographical Reflections on MDB/DM

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: (Auto)biographical Dictionary of MDB/DM

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:54 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:24 pm
How about... In the meantime... Focus on what people want to put in to start with and then as the idea starts to form a shape, then people can look to adding sort of like an appendix of those who were unable to share in a, I remember this fondly about this person or whatever everyone agrees. So do what can be done without fallout before considering and discussing how to get around the completeness.

Because if people get hung up on ethics nothing will happen and I think it's a great idea. But I would be freaked out if I didn't know about this and then suddenly however many years down the line, read a book that contained some of the crap I've posted on here. I wouldn't mind if someone wrote, I remember IWMP, she was a bit weird... Or something vague like that but if I read that I shared childhood trauma and I lived here and there and you know specific details but I didn't know about it, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable.

Don't give up though. It sounds awesome. And it can be as big an undertaking as you want to make it. If it's like, I Bible containing every dispute and conversation, that might be a bit much for some. And some might like that.
Good ideas, IWMP! I like your perspective on this. That sounds like a good approach. Two sections: 1) autobiographical entries and 2) remembrances. We should discuss this option seriously.
:)
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:21 pm
Thanks, Kish. I didn't think you were being cheeky at all. You've described exactly the issues I'm wrestling with. I agree with you that a very large part of the project's value is completeness. And negotiating the content of entries that people decline to draft about themselves would likely very burdensome.

I wish I had spotted the issue days ago instead of now. It just didn't strike me until the exchange between you and IHQ. While I see the parallels between this discussion and the temple ordinances thread, I take IHQ's concern at face value.

I'd like to see others' views on this issue, as my thinking may simply be off track. Sometimes it takes some rumination before feeling comfortable taking any kind of firm position.
Yes, it will be good to hear from others.

I also wonder what might have happened if I had not proposed such a group project and instead simply wrote it and presented a link to the Amazon.com entry to sell it. Would people have been angry? Would they have considered it intrusive or a violation of their privacy and right to (withhold) consent?

Or would they found it really cool and purchased a copy?

One might argue that it was presenting this as a group project that ironically raised the issues of privacy and consent. People write books that include the words and deeds of anonymous online posters in a journalistic vein without seeking consent or receiving serious opposition.

Have the journalists writing about Q asked permission to write about and quote the online personae in their books? If those people get angry, are they in the right to object?

Just feeling out the issues here.
It's hard to say, but I would bet that some people would have found it intrusive and would be angry. And that's before we even start talking about entries for monologists. ;) My own experience is that what people find and do not find intrusive varies widely from person to person. It's a tricky issue, in my opinion. And it's even trickier for those who view those who post here as some kind of community.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:12 pm
It's hard to say, but I would bet that some people would have found it intrusive and would be angry. And that's before we even start talking about entries for monologists. ;) My own experience is that what people find and do not find intrusive varies widely from person to person. It's a tricky issue, in my opinion. And it's even trickier for those who view those who post here as some kind of community.
It is true that it is impossible to please everyone. At the same time, working with others is key to pulling off a community project, eh?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

In my opinion, we should publish only what is submitted. We ought not create entries on behalf of anyone else.

The completeness you seek will be found in saying, “This is the complete collection of all essays that have been submitted to us.”
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:09 pm
In my opinion, we should publish only what is submitted. We ought not create entries on behalf of anyone else.

The completeness you seek will be found in saying, “This is the complete collection of all essays that have been submitted to us.”
OK, Shades. The title will be changed accordingly.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:47 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:12 pm
It is true that it is impossible to please everyone. At the same time, working with others is key to pulling off a community project, eh?
Agreed.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:42 pm
Bond wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:33 pm
Dr. Scratch's Mormon Dialogue profiles profiling Mormon Discussion posters... Who remembers such things?
What happened to that blog?
Dr. Scratch's profiles or mine?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Bond wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:07 pm
Moksha wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:42 pm

What happened to that blog?
Both, but I was referencing Dr. Scratch's blog. I remember he had a Who's Who of message board participants.
Can't exactly remember your blog, but I am guessing it had an online flirtation with Liz.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Bond
CTR A

Post by Bond »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:54 am
Bond wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:07 pm

Both, but I was referencing Dr. Scratch's blog. I remember he had a Who's Who of message board participants.
Can't exactly remember your blog, but I am guessing it had an online flirtation with Liz.
I think Scratch's files were lost in an earthquake or are in the possession of Marcellus Wallace via Jules and Vincent.

Mine just got deleted or something but I only did them for a short time. I stopped doing them after about 30 or so. Liz lol blast from the past. I do specifically remember that the poster "Who Knows" was #5 though. Shoutout to that guy.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Bond wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:32 am
Moksha wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:54 am

I think Scratch's files were lost in an earthquake or are in the possession of Marcellus Wallace via Jules and Vincent.

Mine just got deleted or something but I only did them for a short time. I stopped doing them after about 30 or so. Liz lol blast from the past. I do specifically remember that the poster "Who Knows" was #5 though. Shoutout to that guy.
Where is Liz?